Sign in with
Your question

STEREOSCOPIC 3D GLASSES FOR PC GAMING

Last response: in Components
April 27, 2007 5:28:34 AM

Can someone help me out I want to try 3D gaming but am not sure of a good hardware for this. I think shutter glasses are the norm but there are so many outdated products on the web. I'm looking to play like Quake3, Anarchy Online, Guild Wars, and Half-Life 2 at least. THX
Related resources
May 3, 2007 3:32:04 AM

Quote:
Can someone help me out I want to try 3D gaming but am not sure of a good hardware for this. I think shutter glasses are the norm but there are so many outdated products on the web. I'm looking to play like Quake3, Anarchy Online, Guild Wars, and Half-Life 2 at least. THX

I have tried Quake 3 about 3 years ago with ATI's plugin (3rd party) for stereo 3d and it rocked! It feels like a new game, very intense. But your eyes get tired very quickly, hence its best if you stop every half an hour or so for a 15 minute break.

Now ATI still doesn't support this plugin and it doesn't work with the newer drivers. nVIDIA still supports their own 3d steroscopic drivers though! If you definately want stero 3d go with nVIDIA, they seem to listen to the public much more than ATI.
May 4, 2007 7:14:14 AM

I was just wondering if the glasses would work well for me, I hava a 19'' WIDE 16:10 LCD screen, 5ms, and currently running a resolution of 1440:900.

In normal 4:3 aspect screens one can turn the resolution down and thus the refresh rate can be increased(or so I think). With a Wide screen will it still look good at a refresh rate of 75Hz? The amount of nice looking resolutions arent that many on a 16:10 screen. So if I can run the games at 1440 by 900 and keep my refresh rate of 75, I'll be quite happy. I know that it is much better at 85Hz and so forth.

The other question is that it seems very commonly supported by nVidea and not as much as ATI. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, will it work with the glasses because the Drivers to install are nVidea(I think).

The site says that it is supported by all ATI cards but I just wanted to make sure that by 'supported' they mean it will work WELL compared to just working.

Thanks in advance for any help
May 4, 2007 7:44:51 AM

60hz/75hz/1000000hz means nothing for an LCD. Its response time (in ms) that matters. The only time refresh rate matters is with vsync on, because you will limit your fps to whatever the refresh rate is. Refresh rate for LCDs is just for compatibility with current video cards, which are still geared towards CRT tech. You kinda trick them into thinking you need to refresh the screen, but you dont.
May 4, 2007 8:58:41 AM

Thanx for that, I didn know that.
If it the response time of the screen, will it look good with my 5ms screen?
I just want to make sure before I go and buy the glasses, I just finished Hitman Blood Money with the 1440 by 900 resolution, I didn really notice a problem such as ghosting or flickering or any real graphical glitch.

So I can then use the glasses and it will look good?
May 4, 2007 10:26:35 AM

In response to the wallsized 3d display article someone posted this link, http://www.stereo3d.com/3dhome.htm , which leads to reviews of a lot of the products in the market.
May 4, 2007 11:53:14 AM

Quote:
The other question is that it seems very commonly supported by nVidea and not as much as ATI. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, will it work with the glasses because the Drivers to install are nVidea(I think).

The site says that it is supported by all ATI cards but I just wanted to make sure that by 'supported' they mean it will work WELL compared to just working.

Thanks in advance for any help
As far as I know ATI drivers do not natively support 3D gaming. Probably better off getting a cheap nVidia card for the best experience. eD has a phone number and support site I believe if you want to research it.
May 4, 2007 11:55:09 AM

Quote:
In response to the wallsized 3d display article someone posted this link, http://www.stereo3d.com/3dhome.htm , which leads to reviews of a lot of the products in the market.

This site claims alot but I did not see much information on modern products. Kind of a web relic I think ..
May 4, 2007 12:41:05 PM

Prepare for a headache. I tried this and got a headache everytime after playing for some 15 minutes or so...
May 4, 2007 1:42:07 PM

Quote:
Prepare for a headache. I tried this and got a headache everytime after playing for some 15 minutes or so...
Quote:

aziraphale, did you use the glasses with a CRT? one of which has a refresh rate below the recommended? I read that using them witha refresh rate of below 70Hz on a CRT can cause headaches. It si understandable considering how it works.

As far as I know ATI drivers do not natively support 3D gaming. Probably better off getting a cheap nVidia card for the best experience. eD has a phone number and support site I believe if you want to research it.
Quote:

No thank you, Graphic cards cost alot here in South Africa, I read on the official site that it does work with ATI aswell, it probably works better with nVidea than ATI, but hey, if it works OK, Im gona buy them. We only have the Wired version down here for sale.

and ja, that site is a bit outdated, these glasses are the newest pair I could find on the site, and they did not have a review for them, but the site was cool enough to browse anyway.
May 4, 2007 2:03:34 PM

Hmmm.....you could be right; I can't remember what rate I used. That could be the problem. One other thing that bothered me however was the size of the glasses. they are generally too small for my liking. The field of view is getting so small, that if you have to look at the keyboard you'll have to move your head too much.
May 4, 2007 2:50:15 PM

Really?? The field of View is not that great? That sucks a bit, I got a Wide so maybe im fortunate in that aspect, as my screen not that high where it is rather wide, hopefully that will help the smallish FOV, but I have another question...
...What does it look like? I mean is it truly that breathtaking? or does it not make much of a difference?
May 4, 2007 3:14:12 PM

If you want performance in terms of frags it's not as accurate (because a little confusing) IMO. The effect as such is quite nice, but not revolutionary. but thats my opinion.
May 4, 2007 4:06:46 PM

I have hated every stereoscopic glasses I have used.

Shutters are a big issue. Your better off trying out those glasses with built in LCD screens that do the same thing, but much better.
!