E6600 Core 2 Duo Processor
GA-965P-DS3 Motherboard
256MB XFX 7600GT Video Card
Samsung 931BW Monitor
2GB Corsair DDR2 800 XMS2 Memory
2 36GB RAID 0 Raptors
Corsair 620W Power Supply
Thermalright Ultra-120 Heatsink

Ok enough of that stuff, the problem is that I'm trying to install Vista on this machine but everytime I get it running for a while to install the OS it will just freeze and if I restart it will just kick on and then kick off three or four times finally staying on but with nothing on the screen.

I'm was thinking its the processor, in that the cpu thought it was overheating since I don't have a cpu fan plugged into that spot on the motherboard but when I swapped out the 3rd party heatsink with the one that came with the cpu it still kicked on and off.

Is there something in the BIOS I need to adjust for the cpu or am I just going crazy.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Which screen does it hang on.. ?

I do know that with the Vista install it can seem to hang on the blue vista screen with no prompt whatsoever for up to 10-15min (maybe more).. before carrying on, some people think their system has hung when in fact vista is just doing stuff in the background..

Are you doing an upgrqade or fresh install?

bengineer2324

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
I'm doing a fresh install and I've gotten all the way through the installation where it is about to say it needs to restart before it freezes again. It freezes sooner in the installation the longer its been running so it almost has to be the CPU thinking its too hot or something similar.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
ok. What does the BIOS say on the hardware monitor page, i.e. what is the CPU temp, system temp.. is smart fan enabled.. there is also an option in the bios to beep if your fan fails, and also to underclock CPU if it overheats..

Depending on these temp values, we can narrow it down a bit..

Also, look at your HD's is it 2x36GB? or is that a typo for 2x360GB?

If you have only 72GB, then you could be running low on space, depending on version of vista.. I could be wrong on that though..

bengineer2324

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
I used good thermalpaste so I'm pretty sure thats not the issue.

As far as the BIOS goes, I can't get it to stay unfrozen long enough to even get into the BIOS to check now. I might just have to wait until tomorrow to see if the system has cooled enough to give it another go.

The hard drives are 2x36gb but they installed perfectly before it started freezing up. It only takes up about 8gb to install Vista Home Premium.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
ok.. I know what you mean now with the pc on and off thing.. it happens to me a lot when I experiment with overclocking.. I don't think it's overheating I think your memory doesn't like the speed it's running at.

By default DS3 BIOS, sets the FSB to 266MHz.. and memory multiplier 2.5 which is setting your memory to run at 667MHz.. your gonna probably have to adjust these timings manually..

I use 400MHz FSB x8 for CPU (3.2GHz) and memory x2 for 800MHz..

I found that pc eventually boots if I pull the power out the back and put back in..

bengineer2324

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
I tried changing the multipliers which changed just fine but the FSB would not set to 400mhz. Everytime I tried to change it it would read 200mhz. Now that my system shut down again I can't even get it to get to the BIOS screen for me to be able to change the settings before it crashes.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Yes do as alcattle suggests, by either removing the battery for a short period of time.. or placing a jumper on the clear bios pins.. both are located just below the pci-e port.

Does the pc boot ok with all timings set to auto?

The FSB should be able to clock at 400MHz..?? Do you know what BIOS version you are using? F10 is the latest.

You should be going to MB Intelligent Tweaker Screen (MIT) in BIOS:

CPU Clock ratio : either 7X or 8X
CPU Host Clock Control: Enabled
CPU Host Frequency : 400
System Memory Multiplier: 2.0X

System Voltage Control: Auto

the other settings can remain as default. Save and Exit.. PC will power down and power back up.. and should boot o.k. according to your hardware. Considering the fact you have exact same mobo, cpu and similar memory to me.. this should work for you.

bengineer2324

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
I got the OS installed and everything seemed to be running smoothly but now I get to where Vista should start and I keep getting the blue screen of death and my system keeps restarting and getting the same death screen. This is the second time I've installed the OS so I don't know what the deal is.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Try..

FSB 300 MHz
Memory multipier x2.66

when you save bios and the machine powers back up, go back into bios and make sure settings are saved..

BSOD normally points to memory problems.. you could try clocking memory at 667MHz or adjust the timings to say 5-5-5-15 and see if that helps..

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I would suggest you download memtest86+ and run it (if you have any means of getting it burnt to a CD). At least that way you can rule in or out memory issues.
I had very similar problems which was caused by too low voltage being fed to the memory.