MIMO router without MIMO card?

mapex

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2005
My problem is I'm stuck with multiple portable phones that provide enough interference to disconnect a computer from the router but only wanting to upgrade the router and not all the cards as I've got two desktops and a laptop. With routers like the Netgear Rangemax that are MIMO, is it possible to have a MIMO router but just a regular B or G card and still be able to utilize the MIMO capabilities of avoiding interference? Or would I have to get the MIMO card to go along with it? Any recommendations on a good wireless router that can handle gaming?

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Ok my situation is a bit different from yours but I went from a DI-624 to a DI-634M with super g networking cards and there was a big increase in range and signal with my $20 airnet networking cards. This may just be because it's better antennas and have nothing to do with mimo. As far as interference goes try using different channels if your using super g your stuck with channel 6 but if not you have a whole range to try out. As for gaming it works great and I stream video from my basement to my xbox upstairs constantly. Real life throughput is about in the 30-40 mbps range. If you want any better than that your prolly going to have to go draft n.