Sign in with
Your question
Closed

The dream is over, ATI has officially confirmed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 27, 2007 9:11:04 AM

R600XT to compete with 8800 GTS only

If we take this and mixed it with the fact that the 2900 XTX will not see the light of day very soon and even then it will probably suck, as the benchmarks already have shown ... we are left with a bad taste in our mouths and the question ... What the hell has ATI been doing in the last 6 months??? If they can't even put a card in the market that can compete with a 6 month old 8800 GTX...

This is a big disappointment, I never expected such a disaster, and this is a perfect case of superficiality and ignorance from ATI ... they will now have to face the consequence of their lack of professionalism and seriousness … honestly thought, I don't see them catching up to soon with NVIDIA ... if ever.

The dream that ATI can do something right and return as the high end market leader is gone. R600 trails against G80. Congratulations Nvidia.
It's a sad day indeed...

ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX, Doomed from the Start
Radeon HD 2900 XTX pushed to Q3

After the disappointment R600 has proved to be I must wonder why the hell did AMD ever bothered to bet on losing horse(By buying ATI ???). And why did AMD allow such a product to the market??? It makes no sense to me!!!

Opinions ???
April 27, 2007 9:13:55 AM

I now fear some dark months of nVidia dominance of really high prices...
April 27, 2007 9:16:49 AM

Dont be so quick to judge, still eary days. I mean the card isnt even out yet :?
I want to see tests with : Vista,XP,directx9&10,many more games, in different settings,better drivers,on different cpus etc
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 9:17:41 AM

Is this defeatism or fanboyism? If you think that the benches put up in DT were exact and complete, then dispair all you want. Im not sure whos zoomin who here, but theres no actual proof out yet. And if I owned any business right now, and my competitor has a better product, and even IF I fell short this first time, I wouldnt fold. Did nVidia fold when the 1900 came out? Lets just wait and see ok? May 2nd isnt far off
April 27, 2007 9:19:05 AM

So the 2nd card in ATI's lineup matches the performance of Nvidia's 2nd card in their lineup, based on a review of a card that isn't out yet with the incorrect dirver set and with no 'proper' confirmatinos available because they all signed an NDA.

Absolutely every reason to get hysterical...
April 27, 2007 9:27:10 AM

why is it that its only fudzilla and andtech that comes up with these?? where is the rest of the internet?? I want more sites saying the same thing.
April 27, 2007 9:34:59 AM

Quote:
Is this defeatism or fanboyism? If you think that the benches put up in DT were exact and complete, then dispair all you want. Im not sure whos zoomin who here, but theres no actual proof out yet. And if I owned any business right now, and my competitor has a better product, and even IF I fell short this first time, I wouldnt fold. Did nVidia fold when the 1900 came out? Lets just wait and see ok? May 2nd isnt far off

very true...if u ve waited 6 months why not 6 more days...i dont think it will be that disappointing.
April 27, 2007 9:45:58 AM

Quote:
Is this defeatism or fanboyism?

Just disappointment , I like ATI , I liked them before AMD bought them and I like them after ... I had big expectation from them ...
April 27, 2007 9:54:33 AM

Quote:
So the 2nd card in ATI's lineup matches the performance of Nvidia's 2nd card in their lineup, based on a review of a card that isn't out yet with the incorrect dirver set and with no 'proper' confirmatinos available because they all signed an NDA.

It's not the fact that the 2nd card in ATI's lineup matches the performance of NVIDIA’s 2nd card in their lineup makes me disappointed, it's the fact that after six moths ATI was not able to have a reasonable response for 8800 GTX ... sure, the big money are in the lower-mid level, but the people who buys them will always look at the top performing part and after that arrive to the conclusion that if NVIDIA is better at the top it's also better at the rest...

The fact that bothers me is that after all that delays … we end up with a product that’s not capable to go and fight NVIDIA all the way to the top, not to mention beat it …

I think it's important for their prestige and their credibility to have a top card to compete with NVIDIA at the highest level, that's all.

P.S I'm not hysterical just dissapointed :D 
April 27, 2007 10:15:46 AM

I guess the 8800GTX prices will still soars high. Oh well, I was hoping for a better card that in turn cut prices down. :|
April 27, 2007 10:22:27 AM

Even if this is true, which I still doubt (Fudzilla!), it's hardly horrific news. As the CPU wars demonstrate, competition can quite easily be rabid even when there aren't direct competitors at all performance points.

The 8800gts is more important than the gtx, so having a direct competitor will no doubt bring down the price of the gts and probably drag the gtx in-line.

Not everyone wants the best possible, remember. In fact, even amongst enthusiasts, most people are happy with 80-90% of top-end performance for 50% of the cost.
April 27, 2007 10:22:44 AM

basically what he's saying is that all the ATI fanboys that have been saying "you idiots for buying over priced nvidia crap, just you wait till R600 benchmarks start appearing, then you'll see"

and now it is nearly out and we've been enjoying el primo graphics for 6 months already, R600 turns out to be a huge disappointment and you should have just gotten a decent card months ago

humble pie anyone?

and to the people saying "it must be drivers"; the GTS has 96 streaming processor vs the XT's 320 and they are just about equal / the XT seems slightly faster in some applications. The GTX has 128 shaders, and faster clock speeds, where as the XTX has the same 320 shaders, just a small clock speed increase and faster memory - which in this case seems to make bugger all difference.
Besides which, there were pre-release reviews of the 8800's which were pretty much on the money, did we see a 50% performance increase from review version to final relear? Nuh uh.

ATI are going to have to go back to the drawing board on this one.

Laughing My Arse right Off.
April 27, 2007 10:27:57 AM

I cant buy a Nvidia 8800GTX. I don't understand that people buys it.

If you are into gaming: Your dream should be a high def display. 2560x1600.

I have been using a 2560x1600 display since jan 2005. It is not new tecnology.

There are many problem with the Nvidia 8800 line:

1) It does not support HDCP over dual link dvi. If you want to watch anyting with HDCP on a 2560x1600 screen, you will only get 1230x800 with a 8800 card. Not fun watching HDDVD/bluray on 8800

2) Windows vista support 8800 sucks. Forgett about SLI

3) Not full HMDI specs on 8800, since it does not have a soundcard.

Ati will fix these problems.
1) They support HFCP over dual link DVI. More future proof if you want to upgrade to a highdef screen
2) Working crossfire in Vista.
3) ATI hars a sound card on the their card so they can follow the full HDCP HDMI spec encrypting both sound and picture.
4) ATI cards support HDMI out with sound and picture. You get a DVI to HDMI dongle. Just plug to your HD display.

A am not a fanboy.
If Nvidia release a card without crippled HDCP support and fix SLI in Vista. I would buy it.
April 27, 2007 10:28:58 AM

So you and everyone else is out to doubt the Anandtech results? How about checking the history of Anandtech benchmarks and testing? Just face the facts, AMD bit the big one on the highend GPU side. Get over yourselves. Or did you forget that the Anandtech article said that they used official drivers released to board manufacturer's? I'm all for competition, but it's very clear that AMD offers no such competition in the GPU segment. Maybe in the midrange lineup, they could put up a fight. But the same argument you are all using could be used for nvidia. It's very clear that the 8600 cards perform below average in Directx 9 games, but there has been no testing done for Directx 10 games. If you look at the data presented by Anandtech and other tech sites regarding the 8600's, it is very clear that they perform much better with newer, more graphically intensive games and at higher resolutions. Using those tests as a base point, you could say that these cards look poised to shine in Directx 10 based games. Like everyone is saying, give the market some time to catch up to the hardware. But, it is pivotal that AMD have a competitor for the 8800 GTX so we, as consumers aren't forced to pay outlandish prices for 6 month old hardware. Everyone must look at the facts presented and realize what exactly is going on. Stop putting a blind eye in favor of a company that's falling behind in the game. It's time for AMD to put up or shut up. It's time for AMD to start fighting again, or they are going to shink, big time, before they ever expect to climb to the top again.
April 27, 2007 10:35:18 AM

Quote:

What the hell has ATI been doing in the last 6 months??? If they can't even put a card in the market that can compete with a 6 month old 8800 GTX...

They were busy job hunting, and being bought out by AMD of course. This ALWAYS kills production.....I have been there done that too many times myself.
April 27, 2007 10:38:34 AM

Out of curiosity just what Monitor were you using in 2005 running at 2580x1600, and what graphics cards were you running it on? Also what Application or games were you running in 2005 at 2580x1600?
April 27, 2007 10:40:57 AM

Quote:

1) They support HFCP over dual link DVI. More future proof if you want to upgrade to a highdef screen

I have a 19" display for gaming, and a 42" 1080p TV for watching DVD's, who cares if I can't watch HD on my PC?
also the highest level of HD content is 1920 × 1080 (1080p), so any display capable of higher res than that is pointless for HD

and only SOME people are having issues with 8800's on vista, mine works fine
April 27, 2007 10:50:47 AM

This news is quite sad, ATI is in very deep trouble. I hope to heck the R600XT has better Vista drivers than the 8800's. If that is the case, then I might buy one when it comes out.
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 10:52:09 AM

Quote:
I cant buy a Nvidia 8800GTX. I don't understand that people buys it.

If you are into gaming: Your dream should be a high def display. 2580x1600.

I have been using a 2580x1600 display since jan 2005. It is not new tecnology.

There are many problem with the Nvidia 8800 line:

1) It does not support HDCP over dual link dvi. If you want to watch anyting with HDCP on a 2580x1600 screen, you will only get 1240x800 with a 8800 card. Not fun watching HDDVD/bluray on 8800

2) Windows vista support 8800 sucks. Forgett about SLI

3) Not full HMDI specs on 8800, since it does not have a soundcard.

2) Working crossfire in Vista.
3) ATI hars a sound card on the their card so they can follow the full HDCP HDMI spec encrypting both sound and picture.
4) ATI cards support HDMI out with sound and picture. You get a DVI to HDMI dongle. Just plug to your HD display.

A am not a fanboy.
If Nvidia release a card without crippled HDCP support and fix SLI in Vista. I would buy it.
Egggzactly. Its got everything I want as well, this inefficiences of the 88 line wont cut what I want either. Also, dont believe everything you read, there are people that do know better. The 2900 will rock the gts, and who knows... the gtx isnt that far off
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 10:58:18 AM

Quote:
So you and everyone else is out to doubt the Anandtech results? How about checking the history of Anandtech benchmarks and testing? Just face the facts, AMD bit the big one on the highend GPU side. Get over yourselves. Or did you forget that the Anandtech article said that they used official drivers released to board manufacturer's? I'm all for competition, but it's very clear that AMD offers no such competition in the GPU segment. Maybe in the midrange lineup, they could put up a fight. But the same argument you are all using could be used for nvidia. It's very clear that the 8600 cards perform below average in Directx 9 games, but there has been no testing done for Directx 10 games. If you look at the data presented by Anandtech and other tech sites regarding the 8600's, it is very clear that they perform much better with newer, more graphically intensive games and at higher resolutions. Using those tests as a base point, you could say that these cards look poised to shine in Directx 10 based games. Like everyone is saying, give the market some time to catch up to the hardware. But, it is pivotal that AMD have a competitor for the 8800 GTX so we, as consumers aren't forced to pay outlandish prices for 6 month old hardware. Everyone must look at the facts presented and realize what exactly is going on. Stop putting a blind eye in favor of a company that's falling behind in the game. It's time for AMD to put up or shut up. It's time for AMD to start fighting again, or they are going to shink, big time, before they ever expect to climb to the top again.
OK, just go to Annantech and try and find these so called benches. It was done on DT, NOT Annandtech. And yes I question all these benches. If you look, youll see they were down one day (fps) and up the next. Maybe if theyd kept doing them theyd reach and surpass the GTX? Lets just wait and see what happens
April 27, 2007 11:01:53 AM

I don't think that we should get so stressed about this situation. It seems this time Nvidia has a big advantage but i'm sure AMD-ATI will soon respond. It's just a pity that we'll all have to pay more when we could have payed less...

and besides that... i don't see any DX10 games coming out soon, so? why stress?
April 27, 2007 11:02:08 AM

has anyone noticed that they used a very very old a12 silicon or watever card? the new ones are suppsedly 65nm and the one they had was 80nm. also, the clocks are different along with the fact that dammit would have revised the core properly before actually giving samples out. i think dailytech really is just an nvidiot. please think everyone, how can you possibly compare :

1. a card that isnt out yet
2. a card that wasnt at its final stage
3. a card that is missing out on 50mhz on the core + 180mhz on the mem
4. a card that hasnt had 6months~ to make mature and WORKING drivers
5. a card that doesnt exist

and finally 6. comparing all of those, to a 6month mature 8800gtx that has been oc'ed. also, i wouldnt trust a NEWS site with cpu/video card reviews.

im sorry if this has already been said, but the moment ive read the first post i got fired up.

HOW CAN YOU JUST SUDDENLY OF ALL THINGS SAY DAMMIT IS DOOMED?

1. what gives you the exclusivity of proclaiming an entire company being scrw because their top card isnt out/the best.

this is almost like the time where idiots compared c2d to k8 and said k8 was @%@#. k8 was OLD and just because one thing is better doesnt make the other crap!

* end of rant *
April 27, 2007 11:07:46 AM

Quote:

If we take this and mixed it with the fact that the 2900 XTX will not see the light of day very soon and even then it will probably suck, as the benchmarks already have shown ... we are left with a bad taste in our mouths and the question ... What the hell has ATI been doing in the last 6 months??? If they can't even put a card in the market that can compete with a 6 month old 8800 GTX...

This is a big disappointment, I never expected such a disaster, and this is a perfect case of superficiality and ignorance from ATI ... they will now have to face the consequence of their lack of professionalism and seriousness … honestly thought, I don't see them catching up to soon with NVIDIA ... if ever.

The dream that ATI can do something right and return as the high end market leader is gone. R600 trails against G80. Congratulations Nvidia.
It's a sad day indeed...

ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX, Doomed from the Start
Radeon HD 2900 XTX pushed to Q3

After the disappointment R600 has proved to be I must wonder why the hell did AMD ever bothered to bet on losing horse(By buying ATI ???). And why did AMD allow such a product to the market??? It makes no sense to me!!!

Opinions ???

It seems dailytech was close to the truth with their preliminary benchmarks - what a lucky bunch. Their methods weren´t quite professional, but that´s quite obvious.

AMD thought it would compete with the Nvidia high-end as usual when it started to develop the chip. As nvidia admitted the G80 was way better than they expected themself and the technological jump from the G7x series to the G8x series was not only impressive but quite a risk too. I read in an interview that they didn´t really know how well it would turn out and that some even expected a FX5000 series debacle.
If the X2900 had to compete with the G80 it would be a total disaster. Luckily, to the contrary of the general perception, it doesn´t have to. While having the fastest high-end card is worth more than the few % of market share those cards have, since a lot of mid and low end buyers buy the brand which leads the pack, the price will finally decide whether it is a failure or not.
The X1650xt for example is a failure since it has no market segment. It can´t compete with the 7600GS or GT since both are way cheaper (on the european market) and the 1950Pro is only like 15€ more expensive. I´m curious to see where AMD will place the chip on the market.
April 27, 2007 11:12:51 AM

Quote:

HOW CAN YOU JUST SUDDENLY OF ALL THINGS SAY DAMMIT IS DOOMED?

1. what gives you the exclusivity of proclaiming an entire company being scrw because their top card isnt out/the best.

this is almost like the time where idiots compared c2d to k8 and said k8 was @%@#. k8 was OLD and just because one thing is better doesnt make the other crap!

* end of rant *

It´s because Stanley & Morgan asks for it. All the delays, the NDAs etc. People expected them to topple the high end Nvidia card. It´s the same with the processors. The K8 can´t compete with conroe.
Most people simply forget the pricing factor and if i left that one out it doesn´t look too good for Stanley & Morgan.
April 27, 2007 11:13:09 AM

Quote:
has anyone noticed that they used a very very old a12 silicon or watever card? the new ones are suppsedly 65nm and the one they had was 80nm

actually 80nm is what is going to be released first...then they may make the second revision of the cards 65nm.
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 11:17:15 AM

Its to compete with the better selling of the 8800's, the GTS. It will be better, and it will be priced appropriately. The production cost should be lower, as the process is smaller as well
April 27, 2007 11:34:52 AM

Quote:

It's not the fact that the 2nd card in ATI's lineup matches the performance of NVIDIA’s 2nd card in their lineup makes me disappointed, it's the fact that after six moths ATI was not able to have a reasonable response for 8800 GTX ... sure, the big money are in the lower-mid level, but the people who buys them will always look at the top performing part and after that arrive to the conclusion that if NVIDIA is better at the top it's also better at the rest...

The fact that bothers me is that after all that delays … we end up with a product that’s not capable to go and fight NVIDIA all the way to the top, not to mention beat it …

I think it's important for their prestige and their credibility to have a top card to compete with NVIDIA at the highest level, that's all.
P.S I'm not hysterical just dissapointed :D 

I truly don't know what everyone is being so hysterical about.
So far this is the info that we have:

The second best ATI card is better than the second best nvidia card, and will probably be either the same price or cheaper than the nvidia card.
The top top high end card that ati wanted to make, disappoints for some reason, hence they canceled it.
This high end card is the kind of hardware how many people buy?
1%?

Ati made an awesome 3d chip, that will make people think twice about buying the gts.
I am going to buy the XT prolly.
April 27, 2007 11:41:18 AM

:D  I wish more people thought like thehrobzorz
April 27, 2007 12:08:34 PM

its ac-tu-ALLy teh robzorz :D 

nah kiddin

im happy for once someone mightve agreed with me?

as to blade85 :

yes i stand corrected. r600xtx is going to be 80nm but there will be very few.
i ddnt explain waht i wanted to say.
when you can actualy buy the carrd... by then it should be 65nm already :)  i mean... i think everyone can agree that the xtx wont be in large quantities. ive heard they have chip problems on 80 and will move straight to 65.

to slobogob :

people generally expect too much. they are always hyped about it, theres always that climax then ... the FALL.

to everyone that will read this thread onwards :

thennn.. people start shouting dammit sucks rants etc.. saying OMFGFFSBBQCHIKENHAX WHY DID I WAIT FOR THIS R600. isnt everyone in these forums tired of those? i can almost guarrantee you, since dec. 1 third of all posts have to with with r600 + delays + putting people off. tehnn you see all these posts on.. * i am getting 8800 because r600 sux * ......LOL? no one cares. its your money.

now, to be diplomatic. if the r600xt is indeed the price ( or lower ) than the gts ... we have a winner many many people in these forums have at least the second or 3rd highest performer... why? VALUE. taht is all that matters ! no one but the most absurdly hardcore gamer would notice ZOMG 199.9FPS LOOKS BAD COMPARED TO MY 8888GTXYZ @ 200.1 FPS.

these kind of * zomg ati is doomed save ur stock monay* threads should be locked even before they are started :roll:
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 12:15:50 PM

ROFLMAO :D  :D  :D  :D  WORD
April 27, 2007 12:18:12 PM

Quote:
its ac-tu-ALLy teh robzorz :D 

nah kiddin

im happy for once someone mightve agreed with me?

as to blade85 :

yes i stand corrected. r600xtx is going to be 80nm but there will be very few.
i ddnt explain waht i wanted to say.
when you can actualy buy the carrd... by then it should be 65nm already :)  i mean... i think everyone can agree that the xtx wont be in large quantities. ive heard they have chip problems on 80 and will move straight to 65.

to slobogob :

people generally expect too much. they are always hyped about it, theres always that climax then ... the FALL.

to everyone that will read this thread onwards :

thennn.. people start shouting dammit sucks rants etc.. saying OMFGFFSBBQCHIKENHAX WHY DID I WAIT FOR THIS R600. isnt everyone in these forums tired of those? i can almost guarrantee you, since dec. 1 third of all posts have to with with r600 + delays + putting people off. tehnn you see all these posts on.. * i am getting 8800 because r600 sux * ......LOL? no one cares. its your money.

now, to be diplomatic. if the r600xt is indeed the price ( or lower ) than the gts ... we have a winner many many people in these forums have at least the second or 3rd highest performer... why? VALUE. taht is all that matters ! no one but the most absurdly hardcore gamer would notice ZOMG 199.9FPS LOOKS BAD COMPARED TO MY 8888GTXYZ @ 200.1 FPS.

these kind of * zomg ati is doomed save ur stock monay* threads should be locked even before they are started :roll:

how you dare to insult the fanboy's internet penis?
btw, such a brilliant explanation ;) 
April 27, 2007 12:19:31 PM

Here's the joke " WHAT CARD ? " ... more tests of video cards by ATI that are still only in the lab ... again ! Plus what was sent to test " may not be what you get over the counter " .... if they ever appear ! Well the what if ... supposedly .... and they say .... guys should just bite their lip and shut up. NVIDIA's low end 8800's are screaming graphics now ! The prices are dropping on them and making it more available to SLI 2 of them. My son dumped $160.00 in a lousey ati last generation card hoping for mega powered released cards from ati to trade up ... I told him not to ... he told me I was wrong ... now he's sad as heck and pi**ed off highly . I sent him as I advise you to the CRYSIS game sight to DL the HD version of the trailer of it . HAH !!!! he won't be able to run it like that unless he takes a huge loss . HATS OFF TO ALL WHO WENT AHEAD AND GOT THE NVIDIA's . Those dumbells who kept telling people to wait and buy that outdated video hardware OR WAIT FOR ATI's super cards ... should crawl in a corner . ATI is a joke and their false promises have shown through . Wait until NVIDIA updates THEIR drivers ... ROFL !!!!!! :lol: 
April 27, 2007 12:25:09 PM

The only thing ATI screwed up on was the XTX which looking back at the delay means the current XT was their XTX 6 mo. ago, until the 8800GTX rolled out, then they were like....woah, our 600 aint ready yet, we're still working on it...

But, as a mid level card, the XT is an undeniable SUCCESS!! big time, provided the price is in par. I don't see them having trouble moving that.

So they are not the top dogs, big deal. The failure they had was treating their loyal customers (not I), with such hype, screen shades, false promises, that tears at their loyalty.

They should have been more honest up front.
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 12:25:31 PM

Did someone just Fart?
April 27, 2007 12:32:12 PM

:?: :idea: :arrow: 8O

it really really stinks =(
April 27, 2007 12:33:00 PM

Quote:
Did someone just Fart?

you smelled it first
April 27, 2007 12:35:12 PM

Apple had 30'' displays running at 2560x1600 (not 2580x1600: makes you wonder if the guy's just lying if he doesn't even know his own resolution) quite a while ago.
April 27, 2007 12:35:24 PM

ooooo lolz

* high pitched voice of a compidiot *

oooh ooooh who evvverrr smeelt it deeelllt ittt
April 27, 2007 12:36:23 PM

jaydeejohn .....Opps sorry ... :lol: 

For me,I dont care if it takes a year to come out, im still using my old card which works fine, so when the ati's are for sale and if they are faster i will buy 1 if not, I WONT .
Whats the big deal :? sheshhhhhhs

Jamiepotter: 2560x1600 i dont no any games that play at that setting im happy with 1280*1024
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 12:36:27 PM

8O
April 27, 2007 12:40:35 PM

Quote:
The 2900 will rock the gts, and who knows... the gtx isnt that far off
The 8800GTX is sometimes 50% faster than the 8800GTS.

Either way, I think ATI will be fine, even if they don't have the fastest card on the market right now.
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 12:44:15 PM

I agree, and I think the 2900 will fall somewhere in between these two , maybe even rivaling the GTX in a game or two
April 27, 2007 12:53:01 PM

:arrow: If AMD would have left ATi the H@LL alone,both companys would probably be doing alright now.Thanks for nothing AMD.
April 27, 2007 12:56:46 PM

Maybe some of us had higher expectations for XTX but anyway you're right, if their mid and low level stuff is competitive (price & performance) then it's not such a bad thing that only in the high-end they wont be able to match NVIDIA.
April 27, 2007 12:58:47 PM

Quote:
Today's tests used retail drivers ATI released to its board partners.

That's just sad seeing the XTX and XT weaker than the GTX.
Based on the Fear 1600x1200 benchmarks:

XTX: 58 fps
XT: 50 fps
GTX: 90 fps

What the hell were the doing the past 6 months? Relabeling all the memory chips DDR3 to DDR4?

end: rant
April 27, 2007 1:01:06 PM

Quote:
a card that hasnt had 6months~ to make mature and WORKING drivers ... this is almost like the time where idiots compared c2d to k8 and said k8 was @%@#. k8 was OLD and just because one thing is better doesnt make the other crap!

:lol: 

Although, I don't think any definite conclusion can be drawn one way or the other given the somewhat shady benchmarks. If I had to guess I'd say the XT would be better value than the GTS 640 at a similar price, maybe a bit lower, but not as good value as the GTS 320. Who knows, though.
April 27, 2007 1:08:58 PM

i dont think ati is screwed. I love how they make a mistake and everybody criticizes them for it. Its just like AMD, people are turning againts the company because it made a mistake. So what? The worst thing that could happen from all this is that they learn from their mistakes and make right out of their wrongs. The 8800gtx is going to be high end for at least another year (the avg life cycle of a gfx card series is 1.5 years) So if ATI can deliver within the next 3-5 months it wont be that much in a hole. The rest of its line comes out in may, which is just around the corner. If ATI can compete well with nvidia in the mid-range, lower end, and affordable high end then they are by no means screwed. I think ATI has a great fighting chance, but it all depends on how well its 2xxx series performs and we will see that very soon.
April 27, 2007 1:21:36 PM

Company of Heroes, Stalker, Supreme Commander...

Loads of others do when you mess around with their settings files. Not that I can actually play at that res: my GFX whimpers and cowers in a corner.

Company of Heroes works fine though, and looks very nice indeed.
April 27, 2007 1:36:08 PM

Quote:
Did someone just Fart?

No no one farted that was ATI's first test launch video cards stinking ............. ROFL ! ..... :lol: 
April 27, 2007 1:36:28 PM

I am from South Africa and let me tell you we are paying a fortune over here for hardware so not having a GTX competitor is NOT a huge loss. To give you an idea an 8800 GTX over here costs around R7000 (rand) now when you convert that to dollars it’s about $933 for a GTX! I would love nothing more than having a top of the line graphics card but when a graphics card cost more than the down payment on my Ford Fiesta ST its damn crazy.

Furthermore I find some posts on this site utterly ridiculous with regards to the so called failure of the XTX, why release a Ferrari of a graphics card that only very few people can afford and not make any volume sales or real profit? ATI/AMD not having a competitor to the GTX is not a huge problem, most (sensible) people will buy a card that has decent performance for a decent price (something the 2900XT is probably shaping up to be), this is how AMD will generate profit and unlike what some believe that is the only thing any company is really interested in.
!