Elefant

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I'm in the process of buying a new system and was considering Vista. My plan was to put my old hard drive in along with my new one. I've looked around quite a bit and haven't found what I was looking for yet. Basically I want my old drive in there at least to get the stuff over onto my new system. Any advice on an efficient way to possibly upgrade the whole system, or dual boot, or whatever else?

My new system's looking like this:
Radeon X1950XT 256MB
Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
2GB Corsair XMS2 PC2 5400
Western Digital Caviar 500GB

Also, on a sidenote, anyone have a mobo suggestion? I was looking at the stuff reviewed well here, but some people at newegg and such didn't like them.

Thanks

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
I'm in the process of buying a new system and was considering Vista. My plan was to put my old hard drive in along with my new one. I've looked around quite a bit and haven't found what I was looking for yet. Basically I want my old drive in there at least to get the stuff over onto my new system. Any advice on an efficient way to possibly upgrade the whole system, or dual boot, or whatever else?

My new system's looking like this:
Radeon X1950XT 256MB
Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
2GB Corsair XMS2 PC2 5400
Western Digital Caviar 500GB

Also, on a sidenote, anyone have a mobo suggestion? I was looking at the stuff reviewed well here, but some people at newegg and such didn't like them.

Thanks

Acronis True Image is a great program to mirror your drives. Also set up 2 SATA II's in RAID 0 for best performance.

Also don't go with 5400 RAM go with at minimum DDR2 800.

A motherboard with some range would be your best bet at this point. Something that will run Quad-Core if you ever decide to upgrade. Evga 680i is an excellent choice.

Also, you might want to hang low on the graphics card until DX 10 hits.

Elefant

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I actually did end up switching to the DDR2 800 RAM, and also changed my graphics to the DX10-compatible 8800GTS. I'll look into that Acronis True Image too, but I think I'm going to just put Vista on my new drive, swap everything over, and wipe the old drive. Thanks.