Need to delete a test install.

4745454b

Titan
I finally broke down and I'm planning on upgrading to XP. I've heard about issues with SP2, so I made a test install of windows on my G drive before I upgraded my win2000 sp4 main OS. Everything seems good to go, so I think I'm ready to take the plunge. I've never deleted an OS before, so I'm a little unsure of how to do this. Heres my thinking.

Boot into win2000, and delete the windows folders on the G drive. Go into the boot.ini file and delete these lines.
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect"
Reboot and insert my XP disk. This time tell it to upgrade my current build, instead of installing freash.

As I understand it, this should remove the test build, and keep my current games, etc installed. Does anyone see any problems?

wisher

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
I think it won't work, becasue your software also used windows 200 registrer.
The best choice IMHO is to copy your data to another drive and then format the drive you used with windows 2000.
Then you'll have to reinstall your programs under windows XP

4745454b

Titan
becasue your software also used windows 200 registrer.

I wouldn't be installing a new version on C, but upgrading the version of windows I have. When I did the test install it offered to upgrade the current version I had, so it must be possible to upgrade from 2000 to XP. I've done upgrades before, MOST everything makes it. (I'm ok if a few things need to be reinstalled.)

As for formatting G, I might do that. What I was wondering was if there are any other files then boot.ini that need to be edited?