infamousloL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
EDIT ok, so I just changed my windows XP cdkey, I am about to install SP2, I just want to know if my files on the harddrive would still be there after i restart? And would my harddrive expand to it's original size? (320gb, 298gb)
Or would I have to format and then reinstall the drive so it would detect it normally?

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
if you are just updating to sp2 all your stuff should be there.

at anytime after you got sp2 you can use apps like acronis disk director suite or magic partition to resize your partition to what ever your hdd limits are ;)

my advise:

clone your current drive on to a second drive then update, this way if anything goes wrong you got a working copy ready to go ;)

infamousloL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
yup, but I just want to know if the physical harddrive itself will go back to it's original size cause i'm a little anxious to do it right now.
and I don't have anymore back drives or external, heh guess i'll go to bestbuy and *rent* it for a few days

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
a good sata hdd and an enclosure for it to make it an external drive will run you 80$ total from newegg ;)

worth the money if you should decide to do it.

as for you hdd i'm not sure but like I said if its not it will take seconds to resize it ;)

infamousloL

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
okay, something weird just happened.. i changed my CDkey through windows and did all that activation thing.. restarted and my computer was locked.. it had this error saying "error, windows could not validate CDkey" and my computer logged off, but i did a system restore in safe mode.

Is there ANY other way i can expand my harddrive back to it's original size (300gb) instead of this ity bity 128gb :( :(