HELP, PC GETTING STUCK AT MUP.SYS

cro

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2005
Yesterday I was replacing my usb keyboard, and tried to replace it with the other kind of round usb keyboard. I replaced it and it suddenly shut off. Can anyone help me solve this.

Goingnuts

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
I have the same issue with two computers. One a Dell XPS and a HP.
Both instances the computers were turned off normally and when turned on the next day, The Screen saying the computer was turned off unexpectly and the options to start in "Safe Mode" to "Start windows normally" appear. Select "Start Windows nomally" and it will get past the Windows splash screen and the screen will go blank. Reboot and the same screen appears again and select "Safe Mode" and windows loads up 24 drivers and ends a "mup.sys". I did hardware diagnostics on both computers and everything is fine. Both computers have in common :
Window Media Center 2005, Norton Internet Security 2007, Webroot Spysweeper, the last windows updates and HP Printers. I did notice on the HP computer on the last shutdown that I received a "failed initialization" on some sort of HP Device.
Is anyone else experiencing the same symptoms. I do believe there is a software issue or major virus floating around.

pasha_leo

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Hi,

I have same problem with my Win Xp computer. It loads MUP.SYS file and then CUP or Processor fan turns off or stops. I have to turn off power supply for 10 to 15 mins, then i have to restart the PC it works. Is there any solution?

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
the mup.sys file is the last one loaded and then it should start, but you must have a glich or a virus, see if you can get a copy of Hirens Boot CD, has a lot of diagnostic stuff on it, or if you are lucky enough to get it to start in safe mode restore it to a earlier date that worked