Non-progressive-scan DVD player

I have a low-end Toshiba DVD player. It doesn't have progressive-scan. I
realize progressive-scan players have really come down in price; however,
I'm curious: How would a non-progressive-scan player look on (say) a
widescreen DLP TV?
7 answers Last reply
More about progressive scan player

    It all depends on the quality of the upscaler/deinterlacer electronics in
    your DLP. On a Sony WEGA, the Sony usually does a better job than a
    progressive scan DVD player. So if you feed it 480i, you get a better
    picture than if you feed it 480p from a progressive scan DVD player.

    David
    "Steve" <stevem@spamfree.net> wrote in message
    > I have a low-end Toshiba DVD player. It doesn't have progressive-scan. I
    > realize progressive-scan players have really come down in price; however,
    > I'm curious: How would a non-progressive-scan player look on (say) a
    > widescreen DLP TV?

    "Steve" <stevem@spamfree.net> wrote in message
    >I have a low-end Toshiba DVD player. It doesn't have progressive-scan. I
    >realize progressive-scan players have really come down in price; however,
    >I'm curious: How would a non-progressive-scan player look on (say) a
    >widescreen DLP TV?

    If its a DTV with superior analog to digital converters and 3:2 conversion
    for 24fps material it will look better than just about any progressive scan
    player. DVD is interlaced after all.

    Richard.

    I'm new to all of this. What does a non-progressive-scan DVD player output?
    480i, perhaps?

    "David&Joan" <djmarchand@cox.net> wrote in message
    > It all depends on the quality of the upscaler/deinterlacer electronics in
    > your DLP. On a Sony WEGA, the Sony usually does a better job than a
    > progressive scan DVD player. So if you feed it 480i, you get a better
    > picture than if you feed it 480p from a progressive scan DVD player.
    >
    > David
    > "Steve" <stevem@spamfree.net> wrote in message
    >> I have a low-end Toshiba DVD player. It doesn't have progressive-scan. I
    >> realize progressive-scan players have really come down in price; however,
    >> I'm curious: How would a non-progressive-scan player look on (say) a
    >> widescreen DLP TV?

    Yes, a non progressive scan DVD player will output 480i. Does your player
    have component outputs (3 cable connection)? If not, then you should
    definitely invest in a new player.

    Brad

    > I'm new to all of this. What does a non-progressive-scan DVD player
    > output? 480i, perhaps?
    >
    > "David&Joan" <djmarchand@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> It all depends on the quality of the upscaler/deinterlacer electronics in
    >> your DLP. On a Sony WEGA, the Sony usually does a better job than a
    >> progressive scan DVD player. So if you feed it 480i, you get a better
    >> picture than if you feed it 480p from a progressive scan DVD player.
    >>
    >> David
    >> "Steve" <stevem@spamfree.net> wrote in message
    >>> I have a low-end Toshiba DVD player. It doesn't have progressive-scan. I
    >>> realize progressive-scan players have really come down in price;
    >>> however,
    >>> I'm curious: How would a non-progressive-scan player look on (say) a
    >>> widescreen DLP TV?

    No one needs progressive scan DVD player for HD ready TV because the
    TV often do a better job than the DVD player.

    "Steve" <stevem@spamfree.net> wrote in message news:<gAQqd.2076$_C2.2019@trndny01>...
    > I have a low-end Toshiba DVD player. It doesn't have progressive-scan. I
    > realize progressive-scan players have really come down in price; however,
    > I'm curious: How would a non-progressive-scan player look on (say) a
    > widescreen DLP TV?

    I dont know about on a DLP, but my non-progressive scan player looks
    fantastic on my 56" JVC HDTV. I can't tell a difference between that and my
    HDTV broadcast from my cable company and dont really see a need to get a
    progressive scan player.

    "Steve" <stevem@spamfree.net> wrote in message
    >I have a low-end Toshiba DVD player. It doesn't have progressive-scan. I
    >realize progressive-scan players have really come down in price; however,
    >I'm curious: How would a non-progressive-scan player look on (say) a
    >widescreen DLP TV?

  7. it all depends on your tv quality but I think that you will still see the difference, if you don't want to buy the dvd player you can always get it for free at http://www.ezwingame.com/

HDTV TV DVD Players Home Theatre