Here's Another Reason to Like Intel These Days...

96 answers Last reply
More about here reason intel days
  1. I thought Hawking apologized years ago for being a cutting edge twit and for being so completely wrong for so many decades where any verified and proved logical theories about space and time are concerned. I know He gained back the favor of Robin Williams. A lot of Ph.D. types were relieved when Robin got his just due.
  2. Uhh... are you reading about the bet he made? What are you talking about...?
    -cm
  3. So you're slamming Hawking?? The man is amazing, regardless of what he may be right or wrong about. At least he is trying to figure out what's going on out there. I would think twice about questioning someone's intellect who can handle complex chaos math and string theory IN HIS HEAD. Theories may be wrong, but that's why they are called theory!
  4. Yeah, I heard that they helped redesign the interface for him as well so that he could more easily navigate his word program menus so that he can "speak".

In other news, Mr. Hawking was going through zero g flights in an airplane, recently. Looks like he's closer to his dream of visiting that place he talks so much about - space.

As for intel, they're also getting more into the digital health space with something nice for nurses

Here

Their corporate chartiable contributions are pretty huge too. Their tech may not always outpace the competition, but you can't fault their philanthropy. From an Intel site..

"In 2004, Intel's corporate, Foundation and employee giving provided nearly $104 million dollars to communities around the globe." 104 million bucks in a year isn't bad.
  5. Hes probably doing research for Intel *lol*
  6. Wtf, I'm not slamming Hawking. He is a great guy, but he isn't even the main topic of this conversation.

I just read that Intel is giving him tons of help with his interface and computer, and though I would give them a kudos. For being an evil corporation ( :wink: ) they are doing an awfully good thing here. If Steve Hawking didn't have help with stuff like his he couldn't use his brilliant mind to do amazing things like pioneer the idea of Hawking Radiation and appear on The Simpsons.

Geez, lay off.
    -cm
  7. My post was @ badge, not you :)
  8. Not only was Hawking's life work heavily disputed and disproved from all corners, He was proven not to have done his homework on his Intel based machine.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6151
  9. Yeah um Darwins theory of evolution was heavily criticised and mocked, he has since been proved right.

So was the guy that said the world was spherical.

My point is that great scientists tend to be "proved wrong" then many years later people realise they were right all along.
  10. In Hawking's case it was Robin Williams who uncovered the key to Hawking's faults. Darwin's problem was He had ruffled the hair of Grant and got Lee's ass kicked for political reasons.
  11. Name a scientist whose theories haven't been "disputed and disproven"
  12. Quote:
    Name a scientist whose theories haven't been "disputed and disproven"

My wife's. And that is a fact.
  13. It's not about being 'right', it's about discussion, theories and bringing ideas to the table so that facts can be found. Plus, a theory is just that, a theory. Nothing's set in stone, it's a guess on how something works, a guess used to find out facts, a starting point on the path to truth. If you're concentrating on him being 'right' or not, you're entirely missing the point of theoretical physics, and scientifical research all together.
  14. Well said Mr. Busey. Points to ponder. Some people make a lot of money working on theory.
  15. Quote:
    Yeah um Darwins theory of evolution was heavily criticised and mocked, he has since been proved right.

My point is that great scientists tend to be "proved wrong" then many years later people realise they were right all along.

What? You are another brain-washed liberal, no doubt. Evolution does NOT in fact have any proof whatsoever. You talk about you ultimate fantasy theory. Just as Thanatos421 stated, a theory is just that, a theory. And, again I reiterate, evolution is still a theory, with no credible proof at all. :roll:
  16. Quote:
    Yeah um Darwins theory of evolution was heavily criticised and mocked, he has since been proved right.

What? You are another brain-washed liberal, no doubt. Evolution does NOT in fact have any proof whatsoever. You talk about you ultimate fantasy theory. Just as Thanatos421 stated, a theory is just that, a theory. And, again I reiterate, evolution is still a theory, with no credible proof at all. :roll:
    There are far more facts in favor of evolution than their are for creationism.
  17. Quote:
    What? You are another brain-washed liberal, no doubt. Evolution does NOT in fact have any proof whatsoever.

Yeah, it's not like we're putting evolutionary pressure on disease-causing bacteria, causing them to evolve into drug resistant strains or anything.

I'll leave the discussion of "how did all life get here" to theologians. But to contend that organisms don't evolve over time (just like Darwin inferred) is to ignore what's now blatantly obvious.
  18. For some..there is no "proof" others can discover that they will accept.
  19. Creationism is a horrible horrible joke in it's current form. Either from a scientific or philosophic standpoint.
  20. I believe in evolutonized creationism. Life did not just "happened" for no reason.
  21. Quote:
    Name a scientist whose theories haven't been "disputed and disproven"

If your points haven't been "disputed and disproven" you are not a scientist.
  22. Your existence is creation's way of exploring and explaining all of creation itself.
  23. Quote:
    What? You are another brain-washed liberal, no doubt. Evolution does NOT in fact have any proof whatsoever.

Yeah, it's not like we're putting evolutionary pressure on disease-causing bacteria, causing them to evolve into drug resistant strains or anything.

I'll leave the discussion of "how did all life get here" to theologians. But to contend that organisms don't evolve over time (just like Darwin inferred) is to ignore what's now blatantly obvious.

Hospital super bugs. MRSA. Hear a lot about them over here as they are becoming quite a problem. People are scared to go into hospitals!

We are so over nannied and the irony is it is killing people. I rarely see my doctor, infact last time i saw my doctor was when i had extreme kidney pain which was likely a stone and required a shot of morphine to shut me up :D.
    The way I see it is the immune system is like a muscle, or you brain even. If you don't use it, you will lose it. People who go to the doctor every time they have a "cold", well, good luck to them.

With respect to present society you could say a lot of immune systems are "obese" immune systems.
  24. I dare you to walk into a university's biology department and say that. Those who aren't laughing at you will probably want to chase you from the premises.

Evolution is not one scientific theory as such: it is an umbrella term for lots of theories that point to very gradual species development over the course of millions of years. Thus, the theory of natural selection is one type of evolutionary theory, and has been confirmed so many times as for it to not even be a scientific question as to whether it is true or not. There are some anomalies, but that is entirely normal in science, and provides impetus for future research.

If you are happy to accept that the theory of natural selection is false, then I suggest you should probably also question the theory of quantum electrodynamics, the general theory of relativity, the ideal gas laws, etc.

One does not 'prove' scientific theories. That is to conflate them with mathematics! One uses them in explanation and prediction of phenomena, as has indeed been done in the above cases to a highly impressive degree.

I'm sorry, but there are no respected biologists who think creationism has any merit whatsoever. It is about as scientifically respectable as the view that the Sun revolves around the Earth.
  25. When you are reincarnated you are coming back as Sherman. Just hope things are so well defined by then.
  26. :wink:
  27. Yes, thank you Verndude. I also noticed that you didn't read over any of the rest of this worthless thread. :D
    -cm
  28. Wow, this thread is absolutely amazing!!! It went from a video post to the debate of evolution and creationism, which both are still theories for lack of evidence....

FYI... Hawkings "theories" have not been disproven, however "a" theory of large consequence of his has been admitted by him as incorrect. It is also just a theory, albeit a large one.
    His work either right or wrong has lead to more contributions to the scientific community than some here apparently know about. As was stated before me, ALL scientists have had their work or theories questioned and some even proven wrong. That is how research and working with others in the same field works. That is also how the correct conclusions are reached... If that is even possible.
    That article has nothing to do about his non-research on his computer either.
    Hawking was just trying to prove a really big theory that had everyone looking his way.
  29. Well, black holes are pretty much proven. And he pretty much pioneered them. Among other things.

I read "A Brief History of Time". I did.
    -cm
  30. Quote:
    FYI... Hawkings "theories" have not been disproven, however "a" theory of large consequence of his has been admitted by him as incorrect.

hahahahahahahaha! Cork it.
  31. Why are you so cruel?! WHY!!!!??!!?!?!?!
    -cm
  32. Mommy never hugged him. :wink:
  33. didnt hawking cheat on his wife before he was disabled
  34. Quote:

What? You are another brain-washed liberal, no doubt.

You are no doubt a religious zealot that prefers to have your mental developement retarded by your 1700 year old book

Quote:
    Evolution does NOT in fact have any proof whatsoever. You talk about you ultimate fantasy theory. Just as Thanatos421 stated, a theory is just that, a theory. And, again I reiterate, evolution is still a theory, with no credible proof at all. :roll:

Theories have levels of acceptance within the scientific community, and the theory of evolution has a very high level of acceptance.

The italicized prt of your response is just plain false, do some research you twit.
  35. I don't see you guys even coming up with incorrect theories, so you can't really bash Hawkins.

Interesting stuff, I always wondered how his "talking" worked.

You guys do know that this is a CPU thread on a Computers website (to all those arguing over creation vs. evolution)
  36. Quote:
    Why are you so cruel?! WHY!!!!??!!?!?!?!
    -cm

Why are you so naive? Explain your meaning of creul and point out an example of me being creul. Well, besides me kicking the dog and saying bad things about the Clintnons. Hahahah! Intel donates a computer to Steven Hawking and it's just another reason to see how good Intel is? That was your premise for posting when you discovered Intel had donated the computer? This has been mentioned on more than one documentary on Hawking I have seen. I thought it was common knowledge? Robin Williams joked about it. I think Hawking's work was more your intended message than the generosity of Intel. The topic of your post was a bit naive. You are so easily convined Intel is a company of undisputed integrity. They are almost a monopoly! LOL!

As far as Green... calling my attention to the fact that Hawking admitted his life's work was 'incorrect'. And you saying my response was creul? I don't think so. Calling me out for being creul over a commet like that is silly. It's plain silly and you should be fed to the lions. LOL!
  37. Quote:
    The italicized prt of your response is just plain false, do some research you twit.

No it isn't. But people confuse themselves by poor choice of words, or a lack of understanding about their words.

e.g. 'Theory': can mean that it is still somewhat speculative, but can equally just refer to the apparatus of interconnecting laws, together with a certain explanatory framework (as in theory as opposed to evidence, where the evidence is said to confirm the theory).

People who say things like "evoluton is jst a thery" (they can never spell, I find, not having opposable thumbs, I suppose) seem to think the first, which is plain ol' stupid. And 'just' a theory in the second sense doesn't make any sense at all, since many scientific theories are about the closest thing we've got to an apotheosis of civilisation.

Then they say things like "there's no proof" as if that actually meant something. I can prove to you that root-2 is irrational; I can't prove to you that the sun will rise tomorrow. Does that mean we're any less certain about the sun rising tomorrow?

Religion really is a corrupting influence on the mind. It shouldn't be, and needn't be, but it is. It is like fly-paper for people who want puerile explanations.
  38. I had two wonderful parents. I owe everything I have to that fact. It was drugs, alcohol, prision affiliations and mostly prostitutes that caused me to go bad.
  39. I read A Brief History of Time and it really hurt my head trying to grasp what all Mr. Hawking was trying to convey. Even if his theories are wrong, I don't think any of us are in a position to question his overall intelligence. Plenty of other people in his situation would just sit around waiting to die... kudos to him. It put a smile on my face seeing him in his zero-G flight. I don't think anyone is more deserving than Mr. Hawking.
  40. The man (Galileo) who proposed that the Earth revolved around the Sun and that the planets are round was condemned to death by the Catholic church. He was only "saved" by retracting his statements and living in seclusion. All through history the visionaries (Hawking included) are always attacked by those with closed minds and far less understanding of the universe.
  41. Quote:
    I believe in evolutonized creationism. Life did not just "happened" for no reason.

WTF does that mean?

Crossing a theory based on pure faith and a scientific theory?

The former can't be tested or ever proven, while with time and science, the latter can.

Thats ridiculous.
  42. Quote:
    I believe in evolutonized creationism. Life did not just "happened" for no reason.

WTF does that mean?

Crossing a theory based on pure faith and a scientific theory?

The former can't be tested or ever proven, while with time and science, the latter can.

Thats ridiculous.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say I've heard this before... not all Creationists believe in the Creation story (weird huh?) as a literal account of how life came to be... by their logic, God could have used evolution to create us and all life around us. Thus, evolution and Creationism can co-exist.

Personally, I don't buy into the whole Creation thing... but hey, at least this guy isn't trying to debunk countless hours of scientific research with his faith.
  43. Quote:

Oh a threatened creationist conservative dingbat fights back! the Empire strikes back... those pesky Liberal Rebels!

:roll:

When will both of you realise that both Liberal and Conservative politicians lie about everything and don't give two #$%@ about you?

I mean Clinton lied and he was a Liberal, he lied about his relationship to Miss Lewinsky. Bush, well let's not go there.. this has been the most corrupt administration in the history of the USA... surpassing Nixon's by far.

And Americans are still left fighting each other, both choosing a side rather then actually working to rid the country of these crooks. that's the problem with American politics these days and it's spreading to Canada. Ya'll see the world in Black and White, Good and evil.. with us or against us... when in fact the world is a series of Shades of Grey... no one being pure evil or pure good.. a reason for every action and a consequence for those actions as well.

GET A LIFE!
  44. Quote:
    God could have used evolution to create us and all life around us. Thus, evolution and Creationism can co-exist.

I like your point. Of course if He is greater than all of creation itself, he is not understanding of your comment. Anyway a graceful if not divine comment Rodney. you deserve an Intel computer :lol:
  45. Quote:
    When will both of you realise that both Liberal and Conservative politicians lie about everything and don't give two #$%@ about you?

This is so true. So you too realize when Popeye discovered spinach, Olive Oil developed her bowleggedness?
  46. Quote:

This is so true. So you too realize when Popeye discovered spinach, Olive Oil developed her bowleggedness?

LOL...

Well Hillary Clinton supports the war in Iraq and is against it at the same time.

Gov Mitt Romney is all for a woman's right to choose when running for governor of a Liberal state but then Flip Flops now that he's running for the Republican leadership.

Sen John McCain, is against torture, against the War in Iraq.. then he's for torture and for the war in Iraq now that he's "Straight Talking" in campaign mode.

Fred Thompson claims he's for the rule of law and supports the American Judicial system and then flip flops claiming he believes Judges should not enact laws and wants to reverse Roe vs. Wade... of course he changed his mind now that he's running for the Republican party. (well thinking about it..lol).

Ruddy Giulliani is still using 9/11 to prop himself up into stardom when all he did was sit there and watch the towers come down, then not run for Mayor in the next election and let the new Mayor clean up the place. WTF did he do... really?

Barrack Obama, ahh soo inspiring... but he's bought by special interest groups. He's also got a problem, he repeats himself too much. At least he hasn't lied though.. so there is still hope with him as he's stuck to his beliefs and hasn't changed them.

John Edwards "We need to do more to help the poor" sure dude.. how's that mansion 6 cars and 7 figure salary treating you? Hypocrite.

See... it's not a Conservative or Liberal problem.. it's an American Poltics problem. All these candidates are bought by special interest groups, corporations and foreign interests. They NEVER rule in the interest of the American public but rather sway the American public to support their ideals which are those of the groups who fund their campaigns.

Both Liberals and Conservatives have time and time again trampled on the US constitution. Clinton's 1996 anti-terrorism act is EXACTLY the same act passed by the Bush Administration known as the Patriot Act. Back in 1996 Republicans complained that is was anti-constitutional and took away too many civil liberties, so they washed it down. Fast forward to nowadays and it's the Democrats who complain that the Patriot act is much the same.

Frig man.. you'd think you'd clue in by now!
  47. Quote:

ROFLOLOLOL. . . say it. . . say "Man and dinosaurs were created at the same time by God himself". . .
    LOL
  48. To be safe, I'm voting for the most likely person to be impeached. We have just enough intelligent people to keep the country afloat. What this country needs is a renewed pride in civic duty. Well except the 10 of millions of people living here illegally. They should continue to show their non alliegance and go home.
  49. Quote:
    To be safe, I'm voting for the most likely person to be impeached. We have just enough intelligent people to keep the country afloat. What this country needs is a renewed pride in civic duty. Well except the 10 of millions of people living here illegally. They should continue to show their non alliegance and go home.

There's a reason illegal immigrantion is a problem.. a fence won't work neither will putting more border guards (have you seen how large that border is)?

The problem, and why administrations (Bush and Clinton) have failed to act stems from my previous accusations. They're bought by special interest groups and Corporations.

Corporations love cheap labour. Bank of America issues Credit Cards to people living in the US without Social Security Numbers.. who do you think they're catoring too?

Easy.. how do you solve it? You fine Corporations and Businesses $1 Million per hired Illegal Immigrant and you enforce it. They'll likely stop hiring them.. and in return.. with no jobs and no demand for them.. the Illegal immigrants will stop coming.

There's demand for them right now, your politicians say one thing to teh Camera's and then act differently through their laws.

It's quite apparent and Logical.. really.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel