UPgrading to XP from 2000 on New Motherboard

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I just ordered a new mobo and will be upgrading to XP from 2000, which is currently installed on the hard drive I'll be using. I know it is always best to do a clean install with a new mobo but by doing the upgrade to XP will I avoid the problems of putting an old OS on a new mobo? Thanks

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
you gonna upgrade then install the mombo?

No, I'm installing the board and then was going to boot off the XP Disk and do the upgrade, if the upgrade deletes the old drivers, it should work but I don't know what's deleted when you do a Windows upgrade, I've always just done a clean install. What happened was that I built a new computer and gave my old office machine to my wife. After 2 weeks the new mobo died and I RMA it. It also took a couple days to transfer data between machines and set up the machine for my wife. I just dread the thought of doing a clean install. Because it's my work machine put back the back ups is a really pain and until it's done I'm afraid I'll lose some stuff. It also screws up an entire weekend because the machine has to be up and running on Monday. With all this whining I better get a beer to cry in. :)

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
well I was thinking update to xp first then install mombo then do a repair off the xp cd to complete the changes.

the reason for that was because I'm not sure what you can do with 2000 as far as problems after hd upgrade but with xp I know you just do a repair.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I think when you do the 2000 to XP upgrade XP replaces 2000 as the OS, which means it would have to wipe out some or all of 2000. I don't want to set up a dual boot with 2000 and XP. I may be wrong but I think the biggest problem when putting a previous version of Windows on a new mobo is that the drivers for the old mobo would still be installed creating compatibility problems with the new mobo. Everything I've read about putting an installed version of Windows into a new mobo has to do with deleting drivers. I returned the old mobo so I'd have to use a second machine to install XP and then put it into the other machine and do the repair. Looks like I'll just have to try installing XP on the first boot and see what happens. Too bad no one that works at Microsoft that knows this stuff isn't a member of this forum or maybe Bill just threatens to fire anyone providing help if Microsoft can't make a buck off it. Maybe I've come up with a new way of not having to do a clean install of Windows when replacing a mobo, can patent it, and start suing people. :D

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Another beautiful destroyed by reality. :evil: Installed XP at first boot and it installed and booted up, was asked if I wanted to boot into XP or 2000. Got into XP but none of my programs were installed. So am formatting the partition to get rid of 2000 and do a clean install of XP.