Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

my proposed e6600 build

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
April 27, 2007 2:43:59 PM

I'm in school for multimedia (video,animation,web...), and i decided to upgrade from my socket A 2500 Barton OC build. It's had a long run, but I think times have changed lots.

Anyways, in canada we have ncix.com. This is the newegg of Canada, if you will. I've been reading lot's on every component, and I want to be ready for Vista if it does become the standard with DX10 and all that. I'd like to overclock to 3ghz~ for now, which most people seem to be doing pretty easily.


My Build in canadian dollars (its like 20% more than USD or something)

ASUS P5B ATX LGA775 Conroe 965P DDR2 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI 6 SATA2 Sound RAID Motherboard
In Stock 19355 $139.99 $139.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 4MB Retail
In Stock 19144 $269.99 $269.99

OCZ Platinum XTC REV.2 PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
In Stock 19337 $184.99 $184.99

OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black
In Stock 18185 $144.99 $144.99, (toms hardware used it, so I thought it would be a good choice)

EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800 Gts 500MHZ 320MB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card
In Stock 22688 $339.99 $339.99

ASUS TA-863 ATX Mid Tower Case Black 4X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT Front USB & Audio No PSU
In Stock 23213 $29.99 $29.99

LG GSA-H30N SATA DVD+RW 16X8X16 DVD-RW 16X6X16 DL 8X Black OEM DVD Writer W/ SW
In Stock 23568 $39.99 $39.99

Mitsumi FA404M-BK 7-IN-1 Floppy Drive & Flash Reader CF/SM/SD/MMC/MS Black
In Stock 12044 $31.61 $31.61


Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache Hard Drive 5YR MFR Warranty
In Stock 18729 $79.99 $79.99

PC ASSEMBLY AND TESTING WITHOUT OS INSTALLATION
In Stock 12072 $25.00 $25.00

I havn't built a computer in years, so I think 25$ for assembly isn't that bad.

More about : proposed e6600 build

April 27, 2007 6:30:36 PM

I dont see any problems with that build, save for the need for a premuim CPU cooler. I personally would lean toward Gigabyte before Asus in a motherboard, but this is just my preference.

Build it. It should serve your purposes just fine.
April 27, 2007 6:33:43 PM

Looks good, and you don't need a premium CPU cooler. Stock should do 3GHz easily.
Related resources
April 27, 2007 7:31:14 PM

Quote:
Looks good, and you don't need a premium CPU cooler. Stock should do 3GHz easily.


Stock Intel coolers are garbage as far as I'm concerned... An aftermarket cooler is well worth it if you ask me.
April 27, 2007 7:34:12 PM

Quote:
Looks good, and you don't need a premium CPU cooler. Stock should do 3GHz easily.


Stock Intel coolers are garbage as far as I'm concerned... An aftermarket cooler is well worth it if you ask me.
You can't just say 'Intel coolers'. C2D processors and coolers are a whole different beast.
April 28, 2007 5:13:48 PM

Yeah, i forgot about that component. The fan. Last time I invested in a 30$ fan for my 2500, it permitted me to reach 3200 speeds.

I remember once my brother got me some ridiculously high pitch and loud fan. It did a better job than what I ended up with, but nobody wanted to be in the same room as that machine when she's all fired up.

So my big question is now. How do I get a decent cooling fan, without all the noise? I'll keep reading until then.
April 28, 2007 9:21:40 PM

Get a Noctua UH12F. They're very quiet, but also allow decent overclocking.
Also, from the things you say you do, wouldn't you want to put more importance on the processor rather than the graphics card? (I'm asking, because I'm not sure myself).
April 29, 2007 5:20:32 AM

Hmm... Would an E6700 have that much more overclocking potential then an E6600? That I don't know... It's an extra 100$
April 29, 2007 5:47:12 AM

Thanks for the Noctua fan recommendation. I looked it up, and compared to the stock fan, "At 2.93GHz the retail HSF is running at 41C, compared to 30C with the stock Noctua and 29C with the push-pull fans. "

In celcius, thats a WORLD of difference.
April 29, 2007 6:08:29 AM

The e6700 does great things, like 3.6ghz with good air cooling, and DDR2-1000 RAM, so I think it would be worth the money if you are for a great rig.
April 29, 2007 6:16:36 AM

I have the P5B, it's a solid board. Worth the few extra dollars for the P5B-E though. You get the ICH8R southbridge which gives you more SATA and RAID options, along with NCQ support.
April 29, 2007 11:12:29 AM

I didn't really mean the 6700. Maybe getting an ATI X1950 card and using the savings to get a Core 2 Quad Q6600 would be better for your applications? As I said, I'm still not sure what balance between processing power and graphics you need for your applications. But I'd imagine you don't need as powerful graphics as a gamer.
April 29, 2007 2:24:48 PM

Right now, I would never buy ati because theres no DX10 cards. I believe that dx10 has a lot of potential, unlike 64bit processing, which nobody has developed anything worthwhile when you think about it.

I'm going to cut back the graphics card to a 8600GTS

BFG GeForce 8600 Gts OC 710MHZ 256MB 2.0GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card
(BFGE86256GTSOCEC) Reg. Price:$259.99 Saving Code: 23446-1064
$11.99 EXPRESS SHIPPING! $239.99,

and pull up my processor to a 6700.

I can't justify quad cores, because "affordable quad-core" is still an oxymoron. Then again, nothing in the entire world depreciates in value like computers. Whenever it wouldn't cost 900$ for a quad core system, and maybe 400$, then I'd switch. But right now, can't afford it.


By the way, anyone else notice that this board's style is still default... that seems kind of ridiculous considering the size of this board, and when you type "computer hardware review" tom's comes up first...
April 29, 2007 2:41:01 PM

Instead of getting the 8600 spend a tad more and get the eVGA 8800gts 320mb version from newegg, $279, or $259 after mail in rebate.
April 29, 2007 2:50:09 PM

EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800 GTS 500MHZ 320MB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card
(320-P2-N811-AR) Reg. Price:$349.99 Saving Code: 22688-1064
$9.99 EXPRESS SHIPPING! $319.99
After Rebate

That's on sale.

The biggest thing about buying from American sites, is that if its made and manufactured in the USA, then we don't have to pay duties. But if it's made in Chong's-cheapLabourForYou , then we have to pay duties

I actually might just get both the E6700 and the 8800 GTS 320mb.
April 29, 2007 5:49:26 PM

What site did you find the 8800 on, for $319.99? I'm curious, because the cheapest I can find in Canada is $330.
April 29, 2007 6:43:49 PM

I too would say it looks good, you seem to have understood what's needed.
April 29, 2007 6:55:03 PM

goto ncix.com and :!: ALWAYS :!: click on the banner sale at the top of the site. Then you will find all the best sellers that they order in bulk there, with cheap prices. So for instance, since they probably have 5 crates of E6600s, you can bet there on sale. Same goes with all the components in my build.

You can even click on american prices and compare, but I wouldn't do that.
April 29, 2007 11:59:55 PM

Quote:
The e6700 does great things, like 3.6ghz with good air cooling, and DDR2-1000 RAM, so I think it would be worth the money if you are for a great rig.

The e6700 can do 4 GHz with DDR2-800. I got mine there with lameo DDR2-667 ValueRAM - just overvolted 0.1V and with sloppy timings. 3.66 is easy on air with the e6700, mine can get to 3.66 with stock voltage and runs under 50C at load. I keep it at 3.33 since I like margin, and it's crazy fast at 3.33 anyway, and the full load temps are around 40 C - idle temperature for a P4 (well a Northwood or Cedar Mill P4 anyway, I think Presc-hotts might be 40 C when they're off :lol:  ...).

Anyway, to the OP: the e6700 is a good processor. I don't know that it can top out any higher than the e6600, but it gets up there easily. The 8800GTS-320 is a nice card and a good value. If you aren't too rushed, you might want to wait for ATI's DX10 cards supposedly coming out in May, but then again they were supposedly coming out in Jan. I figure if nothing else they might push nV's prices down. But the GF8800 is good anyway, so you don't have to wait if you don't want to.
April 30, 2007 12:36:49 AM

Quote:
goto ncix.com and :!: ALWAYS :!: click on the banner sale at the top of the site. Then you will find all the best sellers that they order in bulk there, with cheap prices. So for instance, since they probably have 5 crates of E6600s, you can bet there on sale. Same goes with all the components in my build.

You can even click on american prices and compare, but I wouldn't do that.


Thanks Swizz! I checked it out and found some nice deals.

I have to say though, that Senor_Bob has puzzled me. From what I have read of the 8800 320Mb, it's not that great a card. Of course, there are many different versions of the 8800 320Mb, which causes me all sorts of headaches. I think I'm going to go for a 7900 GS KO, and wait for the prices to come down. That will let me up my CPU to an E6600 from an E4300. Anyway, I'm hijacking here, so I'll shup up! :D 
April 30, 2007 1:22:47 AM

Quote:

From what I have read of the 8800 320Mb, it's not that great a card. Of course, there are many different versions of the 8800 320Mb, which causes me all sorts of headaches.

It's only the third best card you can currently buy, behind the 8800GTS-640 and 8800GTX. (Alright it's way behind the GTX, but so is everything else on the planet.) Are you maybe thinking of the 8600GTS? It's severely overpriced. The 8800GTS-320 will struggle at super high res with lots of antialiasing due to the RAM limitation, but it's still a good card. If you run 1280x1024 or less it's pretty much equivalent to the 640 MB version in performance.

All the versions of the 8800GTS-320 are just the same basic card with various levels of factory overclocking applied.

If you decide to go for that 7900GS, make sure to get an EVGA so you can use the step up program because that's not a final solution card for serious gaming. Also consider the 7600GT as it's a lot cheaper if you're just looking for a competent temporary fix. But if you're looking for gaming performance sacrifice on the CPU to allow for better graphics - you'll get more overall gaming performance that way.
April 30, 2007 1:58:46 AM

Quote:
It's only the third best card you can currently buy, behind the 8800GTS-640 and 8800GTX. (Alright it's way behind the GTX, but so is everything else on the planet.) Are you maybe thinking of the 8600GTS? It's severely overpriced. The 8800GTS-320 will struggle at super high res with lots of antialiasing due to the RAM limitation, but it's still a good card. If you run 1280x1024 or less it's pretty much equivalent to the 640 MB version in performance.

All the versions of the 8800GTS-320 are just the same basic card with various levels of factory overclocking applied.

If you decide to go for that 7900GS, make sure to get an EVGA so you can use the step up program because that's not a final solution card for serious gaming. Also consider the 7600GT as it's a lot cheaper if you're just looking for a competent temporary fix. But if you're looking for gaming performance sacrifice on the CPU to allow for better graphics - you'll get more overall gaming performance that way.


Ahh, ok. Yeah, I want to think of the future, hence the E6600. The 8800 is simply too much $$ for me right now. Maybe six months from now, I'll be able to swing it, but if I want a decent build, I need to cut back somewhere. Thanks!
April 30, 2007 2:31:34 AM

Quote:

If you decide to go for that 7900GS, make sure to get an EVGA so you can use the step up program because that's not a final solution card for serious gaming. Also consider the 7600GT as it's a lot cheaper if you're just looking for a competent temporary fix. But if you're looking for gaming performance sacrifice on the CPU to allow for better graphics - you'll get more overall gaming performance that way.


Does the step-up program work in Canada? 8O
April 30, 2007 2:34:56 AM

Yes, the step-up program works in Canada.
April 30, 2007 2:35:46 AM

That's a darn good question. I'm not sure if it does. I had never heard of the step-up program before.
April 30, 2007 2:40:02 AM

Quote:
That's a darn good question. I'm not sure if it does. I had never heard of the step-up program before.


Quote:
The EVGA Step-up™ Program is limited to residents of the Continental US, Canada and Europe only.

http://www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp?switch=2
April 30, 2007 2:40:34 AM

Oh beat me to it...
April 30, 2007 2:49:02 AM

Quote:
Oh beat me to it...


Where do I collect my prize? :p 
April 30, 2007 8:34:58 AM

regarding my suggestion of a premuim cooler-

Im one of those that thinks every box should have one, overclocking or not. It's really simple physics- the cooler you can run your CPU, the less fatigue (from expansion and contraction due to heating) the die will suffer over time, and the longer it will last.
April 30, 2007 1:15:39 PM

Thanks, good to know ! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
April 30, 2007 1:16:34 PM

Quote:
regarding my suggestion of a premuim cooler-

Im one of those that thinks every box should have one, overclocking or not. It's really simple physics- the cooler you can run your CPU, the less fatigue (from expansion and contraction due to heating) the die will suffer over time, and the longer it will last.


And it's usually quieter too, I understand...
April 30, 2007 6:44:25 PM

im not sure what the price diff. is in canada for the 8600 and the 8800, but here in the us its about 50-70. the 8800 blows away the 8600. the next big thing in your system should be the vid card right behind the cpu.
April 30, 2007 6:57:32 PM

Quote:
im not sure what the price diff. is in canada for the 8600 and the 8800, but here in the us its about 50-70. the 8800 blows away the 8600. the next big thing in your system should be the vid card right behind the cpu.


My favourite local store has these prices right now:

8600 GTS C$279
8800 GTS C$410 //320 MB
8800 GTS C$490 //640 MB
8800 GTX C$709
8800 GTX C$903 //Aquatank (I assume this means without a fan and quiet?)

All made by Asus. There are other models too. Add 14% tax.

Totally agreed that the $410 or $490 models are better value than the $279 model.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've got a question too: is it worth going with the Aquatank version as opposed to the regular GTX?

http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/configurator.php?cgid=6
May 1, 2007 2:45:27 AM

just so you know... when you step into a store in your province, you pay provincial, and federal tax. When you order online from another province, you pay only the federal tax on order, and you are supposed to send your provincial government a check.

since ncix.com ships so much stock, they also receive killer discounts.
!