MIMO router without MIMO card possible?

mapex

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2005
I tried posting this in the networking section but there have been no responses so I'm posting it here to get more traffic. My problem is I'm stuck with multiple portable phones that provide enough interference to disconnect a computer from the router but only wanting to upgrade the router and not all the cards as I've got two desktops and a laptop. With routers like the Netgear Rangemax that are MIMO, is it possible to have a MIMO router but just a regular B or G card and still be able to utilize the MIMO capabilities of avoiding interference? Or would I have to get the MIMO card to go along with it? Any recommendations on a good wireless router that can handle gaming?

HenrikG

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2005
First, the answer to your question...
The short... SHORT... answer is no, regular B or G cards will not work with MIMO (Multiple-input multiple-output). Basically, even with a software or firmware upgrade to your current hardware... it simply can't communicate with the newer MIMO communication systems (other than on the SISO level).

For a more detailed explaination of how MIMO works, see this link.

Wikipedia's Mathematical Description describes it the best. MIMO requires multiple antennas on both transmitter and receiver ends. A system without multiple antennas at both the transmitter and receiver is single-input single-output, or SISO.

"In MIMO systems, a transmitter sends multiple streams by multiple transmit antennas. The transmit streams go through a matrix channel which consists of multiple paths between multiple transmit antennas at the transmitter and multiple receive antennas at the receiver. Then, the receiver gets the received signal vectors by the mutliple receive antennas and decodes the received singal vectors into the original information."

Second, a few suggested solutions...

What frequencies do your cordless phones operate at? You see, before you go out buying new hardware and spending a bunch of money... it could be as easy as changing a few simple settings.

Try changing the 'channel' that your wireless transmitter (your router) is using. It can be changed in your router's configuration utility. By default, it should be 06. The 'channel' field determines which operating frequency will be used. It should not be necessary to change the wireless channel unless you notice interference problems with another nearby access point. AND, since you are noticing interference problems... your solution could be as easy as changing your channel to 01, thus changing your wireless frequency enough for your cordless phones not to interfere.

Oops... as far as the last part of your question...
I'll be honest with you, I can't recommend a router since even with my wireless router, I still pulled a cable. BUT, from what I have read... most routers will do just fine for gaming. Simply put, a "Gaming Router" == "New Chassis Featuring Hypnotic Blue LEDs & Chrome Brushed Front Panel".

The most important thing for gaming, simply put, is a good internet connection with a low number of hops between you and whatever server you are connecting to while gaming. To see what I'm talking about, go to Start - Run and type cmd and hit enter. Next type "tracert www.google.com".

I hope this helps, cause I spent a lot of precious minutes writing this well thought-out response. :) Vote 'best' below. :p

Good luck, I hope you get it working like you want it... 8)