First time build -- need critique and GPU advice

wittyc

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
First time build...

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 (rev. 1.3) LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6320
Case: LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Memory: mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Monitor: SAMSUNG 941BW Black 19" 4 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 500:1
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
TV: Leadtek TV2000XP/EXPERT PCI Interface TV/FM Tuner Card with REMOTE
PSU: Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2-DB ATX V2.2 500W Power Supply
Paste: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Optical: Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model AD-7170S-0B
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD
Input: Will buy keyboard/mouse locally

$1050 including shipping from Newegg. Any potential problems with the setup? I'm going with Vista either way, so unless there are obvious hardware issues with my listed components, don't bother trying to talk me out of it.

I'm sure you noticed that I did not list a GPU... I'm trying to make that decision still. Here are the contenders:

1) EVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card ($145)
2) BFG Tech BFGR7950256GTOCE GeForce 7950GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 OC HDCP Video Card ($185)
3) SAPPHIRE 100186L Radeon X1950XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 VIVO HDCP Video Card ($185)
4) PNY VCG88GTS32XPB GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card ($275)

I'm not an intense gamer by any means (mostly RTS with some Strategy mixed in), so I'm leaning towards the 7950GT or the 1950XT. I just wonder if I will use the 8800GTS enough in the next couple of years to make it worth the $90 leap. Plus I might have to upgrade my PSU to handle it, right?

I don't want to spend more than $1400 on this system, and I'd feel much better in the $1200 range. I'm sure that I will fork out the cash for a GPU/CPU and a real HDTV card in a few years, so I'm trying to keep it upgradeable for those purposes.

Any thoughts, advice and criticism would be appreciated. Thanks!

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I have the x1950xt, and It's great for the gaming I do, but I game as much as I use the computer for other things, so you might get away with a card that cost less. The rest of the build looks good.

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007

You probably already know, but be aware that "for system builders" means OEM, which means you will not be able to install this OS if or when you change mobo or cpu since that will be considered buying a new system.
So if you go with this OEM, at least try and install maybe a non-OEM version of some Windows first to check everything works BEFORE installing and activating the OEM.

wittyc

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I did not realize that, but I guess I'm a little confused. Like I said, it's my first build so matching CPU's and Mobos has been a little taxing.

I picked the version above because its FSB support went to 1333MHz, assuming that in 2 or 3 years I might go for a processor that requires that kind of speed. Is this an unlikely scenario?

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I did not realize that, but I guess I'm a little confused. Like I said, it's my first build so matching CPU's and Mobos has been a little taxing.

I picked the version above because its FSB support went to 1333MHz, assuming that in 2 or 3 years I might go for a processor that requires that kind of speed. Is this an unlikely scenario?

The problem is that in 2-3 years even if getting a cpu that can use the full fsb then you would have a bottleneck in the memory or chipset or something else that has evolved since now. You shouldn't "plan" such things more than a year ahead, max! Live in the present, get what is great for you for the money NOW.

With regards to the OS, if you plan to use it for some years and you know you will build more systems along the way, consider a full version and not the OEM. There is a quite noticable price difference however.
OEMs are meant for 1 system and is therefore cheaper. When Dell sells you a computer with Windows on it, bet it is the OEM and you cannot really take it with you when you move on. You CAN change some parts, but I am not sure what and how many. It is said that MS has some sort of point system where individual parts are rated with a point, and you are max. allowed to change X points before the OEM license is blocked. I belive the mobo alone or the cpu alone is too much, but adding or changing a dvd drive, hard drive, gpu, maybe even adding memory, is most likely allowed - up to a certain point...

I might add, when OEM is only allowed on 1 system, it is meant in itøs entire "lifetime".
A FULL version is allowed on all the systems you wnat in its lifetime, HOWEVER only on 1 system at a time - you cannot install and activale the same license on more than one computer at a time.

mike1447

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
psu is just shy but it might work with the 8600, you should look into a better one with higher efficiency. If that psu goes it could take your mobo and gpu with it. Better to spend an extra 60-70 now than have to replace alot more later.

12v2@18a 18x2=36 36x.65(efficiency)=23.4a and i think you need 26 for the 8800gts 640mb

hunter_green32

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
You want the 8800 GTS as it is a direct X 10 card. All other cards you list are direct x 9. Direct x is, as I understand it, Microsoft's graphics API. Since you are using vista, this matters.

vanka

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
So if you go with this OEM, at least try and install maybe a non-OEM version of some Windows first to check everything works BEFORE installing and activating the OEM.

What for? You can install Vista and not activate for up to 120 days legally (just Google it); plenty of time to find out if all your hardware works. Don't be messing with the guy's head.

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Agree with that. And, ditch that POS...I mean PSU. Go with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, Enermax, etc. Don't skimp on the PSU or you'll regret it.

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
What for? You can install Vista and not activate for up to 120 days legally (just Google it); plenty of time to find out if all your hardware works. Don't be messing with the guy's head.

Yes I know, but are you certain the OEM won't be consumed until activation? I had the same thoughts, but not sure when the OEM is consumed/registered.

vanka

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
I belive the mobo alone or the cpu alone is too much,

A CPU is a fairly common upgrade, you may need to call and talk to some Indian guy to get it activated though. Changing the motherboard is where they may draw the line; although they usually activated XP if you told them that the motherboard fried.

vanka

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Yes I know, but are you certain the OEM won't be consumed until activation? I had the same thoughts, but not sure when the OEM is consumed/registered.

What are you talking about? Consumed? WTF? If you install Vista but don't activate it, you'll have 30 days to do so. A Vista product key is not tied to any hardware until you activate it; that is what activation is. If you're scared of your product key being "consumed"; do not enter the product key during install but choose the version of Vista that you bought when given the choice. You will still have 30 days to enter the product key and activate. That way your product key will not be "consumed".

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
...A CPU is a fairly common upgrade, you may need to call and talk to some Indian guy to get it activated though...

You're dreaming right?

Even though you may be able to persuade some activation person, donøt count on it that's my point.
MS has become extremely aggressive with Vista. I have a full Vista Ultimate license and when I built a new system a week ago, I had to call them to activate Vista on the new system and had to answer quite a few questions. Then I had to change the mobo in the new system after a day or two, I had to call them AGAIN and answer a bunch of questions...

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
What are you talking about? Consumed? WTF? If you install Vista but don't activate it, you'll have 30 days to do so. A Vista product key is not tied to any hardware until you activate it; that is what activation is. If you're scared of your product key being "consumed"; do not enter the product key during install but choose the version of Vista that you bought when given the choice. You will still have 30 days to enter the product key and activate. That way your product key will not be "consumed".

Not so happy! Lighten up will you, this is not a board for flaming and I am sure no one here is deliberately trying to annoy you.

With regards to the OS, if you plan to use it for some years and you know you will build more systems along the way, consider a full version and not the OEM. There is a quite noticable price difference however.
If there are any concerns over OEM vs. full versions, perhaps meet in the middle an buy an Upgrade copy of Vista Premium. Its only $150, gets you a full license, and there's a trick you can use to install it as a stand-alone copy without having XP. The only catch is that you must install it twice, but that only adds 30-45 minutes to your setup time.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

byrddogg77

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Don't buy a PNY video board, they break all the time and their warranty and support & customer services sucks the big one!

1. BFG
2. XFX or EVGA

vanka

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
You're dreaming right? Even though you may be able to persuade some activation person, donøt count on it that's my point. MS has become extremely aggressive with Vista. I have a full Vista Ultimate license and when I built a new system a week ago, I had to call them to activate Vista on the new system and had to answer quite a few questions. Then I had to change the mobo in the new system after a day or two, I had to call them AGAIN and answer a bunch of questions...

From Microsoft's Vista Page:

What hardware changes may require re-activation?

The Windows Vista re-activation process may vary based on how you acquired Windows Vista. For example:

* If you acquired Windows Vista via retail purchase (boxed product) or pre-installed on a computer from a local computer vendor, Windows Vista will require re-activation if you, for example:
o Replace the hard disk drive and memory at the same time.
o Replace the motherboard.
* If you acquired Windows Vista pre-installed on a computer from a major manufacturer (sometimes referred to as an Original Equipment Manufacturer or OEM), Windows Vista will require re-activation if you replace the motherboard with a motherboard not provided by the OEM.
* If you acquired Windows Vista via a volume license upgrade visit the Windows Vista Volume Activation page.
So according to this as long as you don't change the motherboard you'll be fine for OEM. Like I said a CPU is a fairly common upgrade and MS would be stupid to lock out people who do so. Even people who buy computers from OEMs upgrade their CPUs. Click here to read the quote in context.

Not so happy! Lighten up will you, this is not a board for flaming and I am sure no one here is deliberately trying to annoy you.
And no one is trying to make you cry. I wasn't flaming, questioning your intelligence, or calling your mama names. Chill out, grow a backbone. I wasn't trying to be rude; to prove my good will let's all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

wittyc

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
It's amazing that Vista is still so misunderstood... that certainly wasn't the intent of my post, but I appreciate the healthy conversation regarding it.

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase the upgrade version of Vista if I only have an OEM version of XP on my laptop?

I just liked the deal on the Rosewill, but I know that's not a part I want to cheap out on. I looked on the main site, but did not see many reviews of PSU's. I'm guessing after a different PSU and the added cost of Vista I will be going with the 7950gt or the x1950xt graphics card. But I think either one will be capable of handling my gaming and application needs.

Thanks again for the responses!

vanka

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase the upgrade version of Vista if I only have an OEM version of XP on my laptop?

You can upgrade from an OEM XP to Vista using the Upgrade SKUs. You can even do a clean install with an Upgrade version without any other version of Windows at all. It's very simple:

1. Boot from the Vista disc.
2. Install the version of Vista you bought without entering the product key.
3. While in Vista, run the Setup/Upgrade from the disc to reinstall Vista - this time entering your product key.
4. After setup is complete, delete the old Vista folders.

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007

You can upgrade from an OEM XP to Vista using the Upgrade SKUs. You can even do a clean install with an Upgrade version without any other version of Windows at all. It's very simple:

1. Boot from the Vista disc.
2. Install the version of Vista you bought without entering the product key.
3. While in Vista, run the Setup/Upgrade from the disc to reinstall Vista - this time entering your product key.
4. After setup is complete, delete the old Vista folders.

Yeah but I think the question here is, can he upgrade his _laptop_ OEM XP to VISTA on his desktop.

Yeah but I think the question here is, can he upgrade his _laptop_ OEM XP to VISTA on his desktop.
Vista upgrade doesn't check for an XP disc, if that's what you mean. It must be launched from within an existing installation. The double-install trick for upgrade versions, however, make this a moot point. XP isn't required at all.

vanka

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006

If the question was "Am I eligible for a Vista Upgrade SKU for my desktop because my laptop has XP OEM?" then the answer is no. Thing is no one checks if you are eligible for the Upgrade SKU at checkout; so the clean install work-around will work. In effect, you can install any OS that's eligible for a Vista upgrade and then upgrade to Vista; it's just that this way you avoid many of the upgrade incompatibility hassles. Technically, you're violating the EULA but I doubt that MS will even know; much less come knocking on your door.

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Vista upgrade doesn't check for an XP disc, if that's what you mean. It must be launched from within an existing installation. The double-install trick for upgrade versions, however, make this a moot point. XP isn't required at all.

What I meant was if the XP OEM is activated on the laptop, will the Vista upgrade/activation detect that and say "no no, it's another computer"...

TRENDING THREADS