which case fans should do what??

2_for_Diving

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
Hi all.

I have a Apevia case. I have 1 120mm fan on side, 2 80mm fans in the back, 1 80mm fan on top of case and 1 80mm fan in the front. My question is," WHich fans should be set up for proper flow?

Current set up- expelling air:side 120mm and top 80mm
intake air: back 2 80mm and front 80mm

Any feedback would be great. Thank you in advance

deals33ker

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
ty, How do you change the direction of the fan?? flipping the blades or....????

Flip the fan itself, usually there is an arrow indicating the direction of the airflow. If not, just power up the fan and feel which way the air blows and mark the direction yourself...

warshez

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
for adequate cooling you need a blower fan and an exhaust fan in case. But now some cases add side fans that blow on the motherboard, ram and others.

the direction is very important because if there is a low pressure in the case(ie there are more exhaust fans than blower fans) it will be very dusty inside

and if there is a high pressure in the case (ie there are less exhaust fans than blower fans) the temperature inside the case can increase.

warshez

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
[/img]the air flow should be like this

airflow1.jpg

dietzjack

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
ty, How do you change the direction of the fan?? flipping the blades or....????

Flip the fan itself, usually there is an arrow indicating the direction of the airflow. If not, just power up the fan and feel which way the air blows and mark the direction yourself...Usually the "Logo side" is the direction of airflow. It's a pain getting this wrong and having to flip it again.

G

What if there is a cowl over the cpu fan designed to expel air out the side? New desktop I got for components has a cowl over a q6600 keeping its hot air expelled away from graphics mobo etc.
Is this a good thing or is a more conventional air flow set up like the diagram better idea?

(the cowl is basically a big funnel which starts around the top of the heat sink base of the fan and then gets bigger until it nearly takes up most of the fan on the side of the case)

Generally the side of the fan with the logo on the fan hub is the exhaust side.