Changed PSU and sound went to crap?

ladic

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Ok, I just changed the PSU on my PC, I had a thermaltake 430w and changed to an atnec 350w. This Antec PSU, is the one that I originally used and never gave a prob with my setup, I took out the thermaltake to build a second PC.

But since I changed the PSU, the sound is all distorted and really low.

I have a video Card: Audigy 2ZS and my speakers are Logitech Z-5300e.

how can I find out what went wrong? and which is the problem? the soundcard or the speakers?

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Just because it's what you changed, maybe you are having a power issue.

Try unplugging the optical drive and any unneeded case fans to see what happens.

If sound quality returns, maybe the PSU was not delivering enough power.

Really just an wild, over the shoulder shot but its the only thing I can think of.

dortmund371

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
get a new psu obviosly. the speackers can also be crap you might have blown one or the sound card is broken i forget if you have from your post

List the specs of your computer and the amounts of amps on the 12v rails of the 350 Watt PSU. Also give the amps on the 12v rails of the 430 Watt PSU.
We will calculate if that is enough or not.
Normally a 350 Watt PSU can barely power a socket 478 computer.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
But since I changed the PSU, the sound is all distorted and really low.

Distorted as in AC Hum?
I never owned an Antec PSU that lasted over 3 years befor the caps went bad,often takeing out many things with them when they died.

I also do not like the PSU's that alot of people prefer these days.

I always see people collecting the best MB,CPU,RAM,GFX and sound cards only to try to save money by skimping on the PSU.

Your PSU should be the FIRST thing on your shopping list with a new build.

ladic

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Ok, I did what the first poster said, but still got the crappy sound.

Then I just uninstalled the Drivers and reinstalled them, and everything seems back to normal.

Dunno what happened? I find it strange because the antec PSU, i used it for many years on this setup and had no probs.