oswold

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Not sure if this question has been asked in another topic but...

Would you recommend buying the OEM version of Vista?

I'm tempted to buy the OEM, but I wary that I might not know how to install it as OEM apparently doesnt give any of the user manuals etc.

If there are only small disadvantages with buying OEM, then I'm going to do it as its about £100 cheaper than retail.

KwyjiboNL77

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
The only Big disadvantage for OEM is that it will be tied to the hardware it was installed on first, somewhat limiting your upgrade path. You can still upgrade components, but if you change big stuff like a mainboard and CPU, MS might refuse to activate it again. Installing will be exactly the same as a retail version, and isn't very hard (just boot from the disk, select the partition to install on and enter your license key, that's all). I got the OEM version of Ultimate since it was less then half the price of a retail, and I figured; If I am gonna upgrade my PC to such an extend that I'm replacing a mainboard, I am gonna need an extra license anyway as I'm not throwing away the old stuff. A retail version can migrate to a new PC, but you cannot have it installed on 2 pc's at once, so in my case that was no good anyway.

BTW, there is a manual with the Vista Ultimate OEM, with all the basic functions explained, so I guess the big difference there is the MS 90 day support (not worth double the price IMO).

oswold

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Well I havent even got my new computer yet so I'm not going to be upgrading for quite a while. Even when I would upgrade, Its sill cheaper to buy two copies of OEM Vista than the one reatil version.

Looks like I'm going the OEM :D .

KwyjiboNL77

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Well I havent even got my new computer yet so I'm not going to be upgrading for quite a while. Even when I would upgrade, Its sill cheaper to buy two copies of OEM Vista than the one reatil version.

Looks like I'm going the OEM :D .

That is exactly the way I thought about it, especially since MS announced that the next Windows version could come as early as mid 2009, 2.5 years after Vista, rather than the 5.5 years it took between XP and Vista...

Begboe

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I think OEM versions of OS are a better deal. Microsoft has been known to reactivate OEM versions if you explain to them that you had to swap out the hardware because they were defective.

I could be wrong, but I believe with Vista OEM it will be good until you change the motherboard (CPU can be upgraded).