Interference on HDTV with HD Signal

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 30, 2004 12:47:58 AM

I have DirectTV and a new sony 36" CRT HDTV. The satellite receiver
is a new Samsung. I originally had a Hughes receiver but exchanged it
at the recommendation of the Circuit City Service Tech.
PROBLEM: I am seeing very faint vertical bars, about 3-4 inches wide,
that slowly move across the picture from right to left. This occurs in
the HD modes and doesn't seem to happen in 480i resolution. The tech
from Circuit City suggested it was horizontal sync interference. I
tried a new DVI cable (Those things can get expensive!) and arranging
connections both directly connecting Sat Receiver to TV with DVI and
running composit signals from Sat receiver to my Yamaha receiver and
back via the composit monitor out jacks to the TV. Same problem in all
cases. The bars are very faint and only visible against a fairly dark
background but in an extended night-shot movie, it can get really
annoying. Any experience with this or suggestions from the group?
November 30, 2004 8:31:11 AM

"Bob Macdonald" <bobmacd@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I have DirectTV and a new sony 36" CRT HDTV. The satellite receiver
> is a new Samsung. I originally had a Hughes receiver but exchanged it
> at the recommendation of the Circuit City Service Tech.
> PROBLEM: I am seeing very faint vertical bars, about 3-4 inches wide,
> that slowly move across the picture from right to left. This occurs in
> the HD modes and doesn't seem to happen in 480i resolution. The tech
> from Circuit City suggested it was horizontal sync interference. I
> tried a new DVI cable (Those things can get expensive!) and arranging
> connections both directly connecting Sat Receiver to TV with DVI and
> running composit signals from Sat receiver to my Yamaha receiver and
> back via the composit monitor out jacks to the TV. Same problem in all
> cases. The bars are very faint and only visible against a fairly dark
> background but in an extended night-shot movie, it can get really
> annoying. Any experience with this or suggestions from the group?

Take back the expensive cable. DVI is digital. The cheapest cable that works
at all will work as well as the most expensive at lengths under 15'. Your
description is a classic depiction of a ground loop problem. Do an internet
search for loads of information.

Pat
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 9:53:32 AM

"Bob Macdonald" <bobmacd@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I have DirectTV and a new sony 36" CRT HDTV. The satellite receiver
> is a new Samsung. I originally had a Hughes receiver but exchanged it
> at the recommendation of the Circuit City Service Tech.
> PROBLEM: I am seeing very faint vertical bars, about 3-4 inches wide,
> that slowly move across the picture from right to left. This occurs in
> the HD modes and doesn't seem to happen in 480i resolution. The tech
> from Circuit City suggested it was horizontal sync interference. I
> tried a new DVI cable (Those things can get expensive!) and arranging
> connections both directly connecting Sat Receiver to TV with DVI and
> running composit signals from Sat receiver to my Yamaha receiver and
> back via the composit monitor out jacks to the TV. Same problem in all
> cases. The bars are very faint and only visible against a fairly dark
> background but in an extended night-shot movie, it can get really
> annoying. Any experience with this or suggestions from the group?

Post the model number of your set so that people that might want to help can
tell you if there are any known issues with it.

Does it happen with component as well as DVI input?

Leonard
November 30, 2004 6:23:53 PM

The TV is a SONY KV36HS510

I've seen a similar tale from a another HS510 owner - I think it was a
KV32HS510 (maybe 34)
FYI - Since the post yesterday I've seen a note from SONY - UK on a
web forum where Sony says it's a known problem with the 100HZ TV's,
which apparently this one is. But, hey, that's a bit hard to swallow
on such an expensive TV.

Thanks,

Bob

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 06:53:32 -0500, "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com>
wrote:

>"Bob Macdonald" <bobmacd@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> I have DirectTV and a new sony 36" CRT HDTV. The satellite receiver
>> is a new Samsung. I originally had a Hughes receiver but exchanged it
>> at the recommendation of the Circuit City Service Tech.
>> PROBLEM: I am seeing very faint vertical bars, about 3-4 inches wide,
>> that slowly move across the picture from right to left. This occurs in
>> the HD modes and doesn't seem to happen in 480i resolution. The tech
>> from Circuit City suggested it was horizontal sync interference. I
>> tried a new DVI cable (Those things can get expensive!) and arranging
>> connections both directly connecting Sat Receiver to TV with DVI and
>> running composit signals from Sat receiver to my Yamaha receiver and
>> back via the composit monitor out jacks to the TV. Same problem in all
>> cases. The bars are very faint and only visible against a fairly dark
>> background but in an extended night-shot movie, it can get really
>> annoying. Any experience with this or suggestions from the group?
>
>Post the model number of your set so that people that might want to help can
>tell you if there are any known issues with it.
>
>Does it happen with component as well as DVI input?
>
>Leonard

Anonymous
November 30, 2004 9:06:47 PM

Not really suprised with SONY Corporation's comments, they have been having
a few issues with many of their products.
> The TV is a SONY KV36HS510
>
> I've seen a similar tale from a another HS510 owner - I think it was a
> KV32HS510 (maybe 34)
> FYI - Since the post yesterday I've seen a note from SONY - UK on a
> web forum where Sony says it's a known problem with the 100HZ TV's,
> which apparently this one is. But, hey, that's a bit hard to swallow
> on such an expensive TV.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob
>

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 06:53:32 -0500, "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Bob Macdonald" <bobmacd@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> I have DirectTV and a new sony 36" CRT HDTV. The satellite receiver
>>> is a new Samsung. I originally had a Hughes receiver but exchanged it
>>> at the recommendation of the Circuit City Service Tech.
>>> PROBLEM: I am seeing very faint vertical bars, about 3-4 inches wide,
>>> that slowly move across the picture from right to left. This occurs in
>>> the HD modes and doesn't seem to happen in 480i resolution. The tech
>>> from Circuit City suggested it was horizontal sync interference. I
>>> tried a new DVI cable (Those things can get expensive!) and arranging
>>> connections both directly connecting Sat Receiver to TV with DVI and
>>> running composit signals from Sat receiver to my Yamaha receiver and
>>> back via the composit monitor out jacks to the TV. Same problem in all
>>> cases. The bars are very faint and only visible against a fairly dark
>>> background but in an extended night-shot movie, it can get really
>>> annoying. Any experience with this or suggestions from the group?
>>
>>Post the model number of your set so that people that might want to help
>>can
>>tell you if there are any known issues with it.
>>
>>Does it happen with component as well as DVI input?
>>
>>Leonard

Anonymous
December 2, 2004 3:51:38 PM

Bob again: I have discovered a work-around. Not the best, but until I
get a fix from Sony, it will have to do. My Samsung satellite
receiver (Model SIR-TS360 - using DVI cable to TV) ) has a resolution
setting called "Native 3" where it takes both the 720 and the 1080
input resolutions and outputs them to the TV with a resolution of 720.
The annoying vertical bars are not visible at this resolution and it
is still high def. So any 1080 broadcast will be output to the TV at
720 resolution. I can also force all input resolutions to output at
480 also with no vertical bars, but, hey, who wants that - right?
Thanks again for all the feedback.

!