Trying to solve multiple 0xc000007b errors

PickleShaman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Hey guys, not sure if this is in the right category, but I missed any kind of troubleshooting category if there was one. Anyways, some time ago my computer started getting 0xc000007b errors on startup, at first for the Realtek HD Audio Manager and On screen keyboard (RAU64[or something like that].exe and osk.exe). Soon enough I noticed I could open the windows calculator and sony vegas pro. Since I cant use the Realtek audio manager, I cannot change my audio options through the control panel ( I think that is why, atleast). SO, I went to reinstall windows, as it was looking to be some kind of problem on that end. However, when reinstalling, I got this error message:
The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings.

32-bit Windows cannot be upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 32-bit version of the Windows installation disc.

Upgrading Windows will affect the following devices and/or programs:

These devices might not work properly after the upgrade. Before upgrading, we recommend updating the drivers for these devices. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel and search for "update device drivers", or go to the device manufacturer's website to search for updated drivers.
Network adapters: Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
Storage controllers: AGH7LZLR IDE Controller
Storage controllers: AJT6T97Y IDE Controller
These programs might not work properly after the upgrade. We recommend uninstalling these programs before upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel, and search for "uninstall a program". (Note: Programs marked as * can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.)
InterActual Player
ATI Catalyst Control Center *
ATI CATALYST Install Manager *

Any Ideas on the first multiple error and/or the install error? thanks.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
You obviously are trying to upgrade your currently installed Windows /7?/ 64 bit with an installation of 32 bit Windows /7?/. It will not work. You'll need to find an instalation disk of 64 bit Windows /7/ and everithing should be OK with instalation.

The 0xc000007b error probably means that you have some how managed to install invalid dll’s on your computer. A system restore back to a time before you had this problem would have cured this problem.

PickleShaman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

My bad, I forgot to mention anything about that part of the problem. I already am running the 64 bit version, and trying to re-install the 64 bit version, so that error makes no sense.

PickleShaman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

I tried this twice already, but all of my restore points are after the errors started occurring.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
There is some mismatch with your Windows. As you write it, it once says you can't upgrade a 32 bit version with an 64 bit and the other time - vice versa. I even didn't get it right the first time. Are you sure it's exactly what it says? :) If so then something is seriously messed up in your Windows. As btw. pjmelect noticed you may managed to install some wrong dlls - did you add some dlls manualy?
If you ask me in this situation it may be easier to make a new clean install of the OS /only 64 bit this time :)/.

pat

Expert
Backup you data on C: partition, Boot from the DVD and install this way. Don't forgat to make a fresh install, not just an update and and make sure that you format the partition.

This will eliminate old/broken file and make a clean new installation

PickleShaman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Alright I think I will just do a full re-install of windows on a partition. But how do I know for sure that windows is being installed to my partition, rather than overwriting the partition that has all of my files?

pat

Expert
In the install process, it will be the system partition. to be sure, note the size of the partition Windows is installed on and match it on the install screen

PickleShaman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

Alright, thanks Pat. Now I just need to re-size my OS partition before running the install, couldn't make it big enough, seeing as it would only let me use around 9 of my 100+ gb free space. Any ideas? As long as I can't make the partition any bigger, I cant re-install. I already looked on google, but all that came up were for instances where it wouldn't shrink at all in the first place, as mine did..

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
There are some programs able to move and ressize partitions without losing your data.
There was ESEUS /not sure exactly about spelling/ Partition Master and the Paragon suite, and there were some on the Hiren's Boot CD - which may be used to boot from and contains other good free tools.
My advice - get the Hiren's CD and try it with the tools there.

pat

Expert
The system reserve itself a small partition. Then the next one is the partition windows is installed on. the others are partitions for your data.

So, if you have a C:, D: and E: partition, in the install you should see something like
Small partition reserved for system
Your current OS partition
DATA partition D:
Data partition E:

If you could post the list and size of your partition, that would help me understand. Maybe what you are saying is that the paretition is almost full and no room is left for a new install. In this case, you have to get the advanced option to format the partition. Simply going thru without reformating will keep your old installation and rename it "Windows.old" and install a new one. Nothing will be erased on the partition.

PickleShaman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Alright, I solved that problem thanks to you guys, and now I have just created a new partition and installed windows to it. Unfortunately, none of my drivers are being accessed by the OS partition, and none of my desktop items or anything are here. So now the question is, how do I set it so that my drivers and stuff are being accessed by my new copy. Because as long as my drivers are all gone, I can't use my wireless card, so I have to go back to my old copy of windows to come on here.

pat

Expert
You'll have to find the maker of your wireless card, go to its website, download the driver and from your new installation, reinstall the newly downloaded drivers. Once the wireless working, all of your other stuff should be installed from windows update

PickleShaman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Ok I got the drivers for the card, but when I try to find my network it says that the card doesn't exist. I know it does though, as it is only on that partition that it says that.

PickleShaman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Yeah I know I meant I already installed the drivers and my card's software that came with it as well, but the icon for my card in the task bar has a black X through it say that the card doesn't exist on my system. At first I thought it could be a bad download, but when I tried it on this instance of windows it worked perfectly. Any ideas?

PickleShaman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
I checked the download description and it was compatible with 64 and 32 bit systems, so that cant be it. Do you think that there is something wrong with the new install of windows? Because right now since i still have a copy of my OS on my would-be data partition, so I am basically dual booting.

pat

Expert
I don't think that there should a problem because of dual booting. Maybe you could try to connect with a wire to the router, and use windows update to find the drivers

PickleShaman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

Alright, I got back and tried what you said. It worked great, and now I have all my drivers back. But when I try to make shortcuts to files on my old drive, they say the location doesn't exist and the shortcut is invalid. So then I change the path to what it should be, but it automatically changes back when I hit apply. I have looked all over and I can't find anywhere that tells me how to create shortcuts that access another partition, so do you know anything about that?

PickleShaman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
SUCCESS! I solved the original problem, and now I don't get any more 0xc000007b errors. winmm.dll was corrupted all along, and it bypassed all validity checks set aside from the one I just performed through the command prompt. It turns out I had to run cmd in admin mode for it to show up as an error. Unless it didn't fix it after all, I believe my problem has been solved =). Thanks again to everyone.