Sign in with
Your question

Never had a successful SATA build

Last response: in Storage
April 27, 2007 5:39:59 PM

Through 3 systems, 3 separate motherboards, I have not yet been able to get SATA to work. I would hit F6 during Windows installation and load the SATA drivers, but after the installation phase before Windows itself loads for the first time, it BSODs on me with a non-page error (I don't recall the exact error message). I must be doing something wrong. I am using a 40GB SATA drive and 2 40GB ATA drives and have tried unplugging the ATA drives during installation and all that, but nothing that I've tried seems to work. Do I have to set up RAID for the SATA to work? I am using a different SATA hard drive this time and I'm getting the same problem, so it's not that it's a bad hard drive, it must be a setting that I'm missing.

Also, is there any system performance increase with using SATA vs ATA? I am planning on getting a SATA DVD-RW drive, so it would be cool to use a SATA hard drive as well so I can load and install games faster.

More about : successful sata build

April 27, 2007 5:54:57 PM

Normally, SATA HDDs work without RAID. In fact, that's the way many people use them. I suppose there's some increase in transfer speed, but depending on the HDD. I like SATA mainly because of the cabling - much neater than ATA ribbon cables.

Vista 32bit | Core 2 Duo E6600 | BFG GeForce 8800 GTX | Patriot EP 2X1GB PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-9| 3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID Controller with BBU | 150GB Raptor x2 RAID 0 - OS | 150GB Raptor x2 RAID 0 - Data | 150GB Raptor - Swap/Backup | SB X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series | Dell E207WFP & Samsung SyncMaster 213T | Asus Striker Extreme | PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR | Silverstone Temjin TJ07 | Zalman CNPS9700 NT
April 27, 2007 7:55:42 PM

cant get mine working either install goes fine untill first boot then i get error
loading os message.
Related resources
April 27, 2007 8:14:07 PM

Quote:
Through 3 systems, 3 separate motherboards, I have not yet been able to get SATA to work. I would hit F6 during Windows installation and load the SATA drivers, but after the installation phase before Windows itself loads for the first time, it BSODs on me with a non-page error (I don't recall the exact error message). I must be doing something wrong. I am using a 40GB SATA drive and 2 40GB ATA drives and have tried unplugging the ATA drives during installation and all that, but nothing that I've tried seems to work. Do I have to set up RAID for the SATA to work? I am using a different SATA hard drive this time and I'm getting the same problem, so it's not that it's a bad hard drive, it must be a setting that I'm missing.

Also, is there any system performance increase with using SATA vs ATA? I am planning on getting a SATA DVD-RW drive, so it would be cool to use a SATA hard drive as well so I can load and install games faster.

You either have the worst luck buying mobos or your hard drives are shot. Load windows on your ATA drive and test your SATA drives to see if they are ok. Also check for new SATA on your new mobo. And no, SATA drives do not need to be in a Raid to work. RAIDS to the general public are overrated and left to the hard core PC enthusiast. Expect some increases in load times and transferring files but don't expect it to be a night and day difference.
April 27, 2007 8:15:35 PM

Quote:
cant get mine working either install goes fine untill first boot then i get error
loading os message.

if you can be more specific with your error message, that might help getting an answer. Also posting your mobo model might help too in case another person has run into the same problem. The same goes to the OP.
April 27, 2007 9:25:58 PM

First thing to be asked is what motherboard you have then find a driver that windows can use for your motherboard, put that on a floppy so when you hit f6 you have it to install, then windows should just install it after you get to the screen that you will be asked to hit the s key. Or you could set them up as EIDE so you don't need the floppy drive, i personally go the first way.
April 27, 2007 9:46:14 PM

Trust me, it's not a driver problem or a hardware failure problem because I can get a SATA drive to work as a storage drive but I can't boot from one. Ever. Drivers are installed, cables are fine, power is fine, trust me, over the past 2 years I have been unable to get Windows to boot from a SATA drive, and have used 3 different drives and 3 different motherboards.

Is there some kind of trick to getting Windows to boot from a SATA drive?
April 27, 2007 10:24:18 PM

No trick to it. Put the drivers on the floppy. Hit F6 when prompted to load the necessary SATA drivers and you should be rockin.
If they can be used for storage then there's no reason Windows can't boot to em.

Any chance you have been using the same case for all your troubled mobos?
April 27, 2007 10:32:30 PM

Quote:

Any chance you have been using the same case for all your troubled mobos?

2 separate cases. In fact my current one is an awesome Antec P180 sound-dampening case. It's amazing. My last case was a Platinum Systems Luna case with a side window, but that case was sorta crappy (every bit of sound came through. You could hear a fat baby walking on cotton in that case).
April 27, 2007 10:36:40 PM

how about your install CDs? Are they scratched up? Are they legit CDs and not something that was purchased for $5 off ebay?
April 27, 2007 10:40:14 PM

Like I said, everything is fine with everything, that's why I don't understand why Windows won't boot from SATA.
April 27, 2007 10:48:17 PM

sorry man, I'm out of suggestions then. Unless you do another install and can get the BSOD error message, it's hard to suggest what else could be done.
What version are you using anyway for Windows?

I just had another thought on your hard drives. Have you ran any hard drive tests on the SATA drive? Perhaps during the windows install, it is coming across bad sectors that may not necessarily show up when it is setup as a storage drive.
April 27, 2007 10:57:51 PM

I tried both quick format and regular format (regular format checks for bad sectors), and never had any problems there. Remember, they work fine as regular storage drives.

I would hate to give up altogether (again). Does Windows Vista handle SATA without needing 3rd-party drivers?
April 27, 2007 11:03:16 PM

you say you have used 3 different drives... are they all SATA?
April 27, 2007 11:22:46 PM

sorry man. I got nothin then.
April 27, 2007 11:27:12 PM

Quote:
I would hate to give up altogether (again). Does Windows Vista handle SATA without needing 3rd-party drivers?

Yes, but so does XP. You only need the floppy for RAID (AFAIK). What motherboard are you using? You can install Vista without a license on a trial basis so maybe you can "borrow" a copy to see if it works and then buy a license if it does.

To troubleshoot, make sure you have no other drives installed on your PC aside from the SATA drive and the optical. Set your BIOS to its default settings and try again.
April 27, 2007 11:49:39 PM

Quote:
I tried both quick format and regular format (regular format checks for bad sectors), and never had any problems there. Remember, they work fine as regular storage drives.

First, what chipset does your motherboard has, and what is the model?

Second, Do you have any clue about RAID, how it work and what is the purpose?

Third, do you understand the different SATA things like SATA150, SATAII?

Fourth, do you know that the drivers are NOT for the drive itself, but for the controller?

An swering these question will help us to diagnose your problem faster.
a b G Storage
April 28, 2007 12:26:57 AM

Some motherboards require you to load more than one driver to get the drive to work. Try loading all drivers from the floppy if you have more than one choice (my last two boards came with 2 sets of drivers each, had to load them both. Intel and Gigabyte controllers for one board, Intel and NVidia for the other).

One thing I don't understand is why you're installing RAID controllers if you're using a single drive? Have you tried installing without hitting F6?
April 28, 2007 12:35:46 AM

I've never had a problem with Gigabyte Motherboards, Using one now, where I work our systems have been using SATA drives as the only drive in the system for over 2 years. :) 

Just built this system I,m using 2 days ago and installed Vista on Seagate 160GB SATA II HDD, on a 2 year old Gigabyte MOBO. I installed it strait from the DVD and the main drive was unformatted and had no partition. Strait on with no special drivers.

What's with the 40GB SATA hard drive? 8O In Australia we can't even get them smaller than 80GB's
a b G Storage
April 28, 2007 12:47:20 AM

I never had a problem with Gigabyte either. Just sometimes you need to load more than one file to get the RAID controller to work.

BUT he's loading RAID drivers to install an OS on a single drive. AFAIK you won't need to load those for a single drive. Just proceed without hitting F6 IMO :) 
April 28, 2007 12:55:42 AM

The other thing I do is to turn the RAID function off. The only time I've had trouble is with SATA drives is with a SATA II drive on SATA I controller. The way around that is to set the the jumpers on the SATA II drive to SATA I via the jumpers on the back of the drive. :) 
April 28, 2007 1:05:11 AM

I have had a problem with an older board that automatically gives an IDE drive focus over a SATA drive, but that is only when both drives had a partition and both drives had the first partition set "active".

2 Possible work a rounds, First one is to delete the partition on the IDE drive until after the OS is installed on the SATA drive. The second is simple run a disk partitioning tool and make sure the SATA drive is set to "Active" and the IDE drive is set to "Inactive".
This is an unusual problem but it did happen to me once.
8O
April 28, 2007 1:41:49 AM

CURRENT motherboard? BIOS revision? Try making a boot disk and updating your BIOS if you don't have the latest version. Make sure you have BIOS set to boot the SATA drive 1st and not try any devices after that.

SATA drive model?

During boot 2 things need to work together: The board and the boot device (Could be anything, but in this case it is the SATA drive). I just want to make sure your board maker doesn't know anything about booting from a SATA drive that you don't.

For a quick test you could copy an image of your current drive to the SATA drive if it's less than 40GB and then try booting.
April 28, 2007 1:47:50 AM

When you install WinXP on a Serial ATA Advanced Technology Attachment, also known as Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE), is a standard electronic interface used between a computer motherboards bus and the computers disk storage devices. With IDE, the disk drive controller is built into the logic board in the disk drive. hard drive on a system with the VT8237 Southbridge, you use a floppy disk with the driver and Press F6 just before Windows installation to install the new drive. You may get an error message such as:

"File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (18) at line 1742 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c."

or something very similar. Unfortunately this is a WinXP compatibility issue with floppy drives. To resolve the issue:

* Format the floppy disk using the same floppy drive that you are going to use to install the driver on the system you are setting up.
* Where ever possible, use the floppy disk that was provided with your motherboard.
* If one disk drive does not work, try another.
April 28, 2007 1:48:05 AM

well i reinstalled xp on my 160 gig ata and used seagates seadisk utility and cloned over to the 320gig seagate. when i tried booting to it no dice.
Same message error loading os thats all the error says.Have set the bios to boot in proper order.
asus p5n-e-sli
e6600
xfx 7900gs extreme
2 gig wintech
650 watt coolermaster psu
a b G Storage
April 28, 2007 1:52:45 AM

You need to have an in-tact boot-sector. I'm not surprised that it didn't work. You need to have the drive itself set up as a bootable volume. Go in to Windows' dos-based recovery console and type FIXMBR on your SATA drive.
April 28, 2007 1:57:07 AM

seadisk configures the drive as a boot drive.Also a fresh install on xp
first reboot error loading os pops up.I set it in bios correct and used a floppy to load drivers
a b G Storage
April 28, 2007 1:58:44 AM

Did you bother to skip the F6 step and install windows that way? Those are usually RAID drivers, which you're trying to use on a single drive.
April 28, 2007 2:24:27 AM

Quote:
well i reinstalled xp on my 160 gig ata and used seagates seadisk utility and cloned over to the 320gig seagate. when i tried booting to it no dice.
Same message error loading os thats all the error says.Have set the bios to boot in proper order.
asus p5n-e-sli
e6600
xfx 7900gs extreme
2 gig wintech
650 watt coolermaster psu
You are not the original poster. What is going on here?
April 28, 2007 7:23:08 AM

shared problems so entered disscusion
April 28, 2007 5:06:14 PM

Quote:
shared problems so entered disscusion

It's cool. Ya you're sure as hell sharing my problem, same motherboard and everything.

Is there possibly a RAID setting that could make the SATA work? I've heard of people setting up a single SATA as JBOD and everything worked fine, but I don't know if this motherboard can do that. (JBOD is also known as Span or Spanning). Go ahead and try to enable RAID and set your SATA up under Spanning and see if it lets you do RAID with just that one SATA drive. I can't do it at the moment, seeing as my P5N-E is still on it's way back from an RMA.
April 28, 2007 5:26:06 PM

Seeing as most modern PCs haver no floppy drives how else can you install the drivers?
April 28, 2007 6:00:35 PM

I have in the past seen mobo's that required the sata to be set up as raid, even if only 1 drive.

I dont recall the brand/model off the top of my head, but its been a couple years, so unless your working with old stock, it shouldn't be a problem.
April 28, 2007 6:02:36 PM

What exact OS are you loading? XP with our SP, xpsp1, xpsp2, is it pro or home? I didn't have to load any drivers when installing xp home sp2, but I did some monkeying with the bios first (mainly because the bios had to be reset and set up first time around when I got the mobo.)
April 28, 2007 6:53:02 PM

This motherboard isn't old at all, but maybe that's the problem is that it needs to be in JBOD RAID to run. I can't do it until Tuesday, but maybe the other guy who has my same motherboard could try and set it up under Spanning (JBOD) to see if that fixes the problem so I know if it works or not. I have heard of people doing this, but I can't remember if it was an Asus or another board. It's worth a try, if you can.
April 28, 2007 6:56:18 PM

Then try without the drivers to load the os. I have heard problems with serial ROM drives if you try to load the os from one, but if you load your OS from an ATA rom drive and then swap it with a serial I don't see a problem there. From what I understand cd's of xp with service pack two fixed the loading on to a serial drive without drivers problem. You may want to check and make sure your bios is set to recognize your serial drive right too.
April 28, 2007 7:53:14 PM

check to see if there other people that have problems with that mobo, and installing an os too. My Mobo wouldn't install an OS on any type of drive until I initialized it by resetting it, and then resetting it in the Bios.
April 28, 2007 8:46:44 PM

I have original xp no service packs after installing on my ide updated and
cloned.Same error loading os
April 28, 2007 9:02:00 PM

It could be a driver issue or an issue with the modo. I have a mobo, that I have been able to install xp sp1 in more then a few times, that will not load windows now and brings up an error, and will freeze when running the install program, before it can load to ask me if I want to install. (I'm running 2000 on it now)
April 28, 2007 9:04:56 PM

have you tried install on the ide and disconnect the sata and the other ide drive? (I didnt read all the replies. sorry if I am reiterating..)

Also, maybe you install cd went bad. Happened to me on my 2 year old xp cd. Or try installing another OS just to rule out hardware as the culprit. You can try installing anyone of the free linux distros out there. I would suggest Ubuntu.

Also, could it be some other hardware causing the problems on first boot?

What is the common hardware on the three failed builds? Are there any extra addon cards that you are using? Maybe the harddrive is bad. Do a scandisk check on it.
April 28, 2007 9:44:24 PM

Quote:
No trick to it. Put the drivers on the floppy. Hit F6 when prompted to load the necessary SATA drivers and you should be rockin.

NEVER use the F6 driver installation for non-RAID drives on modern motherboards.
April 28, 2007 9:50:34 PM

If your chipset supports SATA on the chipset, you're going about this all wrong. DON'T USE THE F6 COMMAND TO LOAD DRIVERS.

Chipset SATA controllers can be configured using "generic IDE" drivers built into Windows. Just make sure RAID mode is disabled (and possibly AHCI mode) in BIOS, it should be set to "native" mode (or IDE, or ATA mode) in BIOS.

And then the SATA drive is just as ATA drive so far as Windows is concerned.
April 28, 2007 10:14:28 PM

For the clone, you just copied your Windows partition to the new disk. Re-install the MBR with FIXMBR, and use diskpart to verify the cloned partition was marked active (repair console on the boot CD).

The OP mentioned a STOP message that sounded like STOP PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA. This is a memory management problem that can happen when the DRAM goes bad, or, more likely in this case, some bad code tries to write to the wrong location. Doing a search for the hex reported by the STOP message on the Mister Softee support website will explain where in their code a check is failing, and what conditions cause that test to die.
April 28, 2007 11:35:33 PM

Quote:

Windows XP works without needed 3rd-party drivers.
April 29, 2007 12:38:30 AM

My memory is fine. I have installed Windows XP SP2 with both DDR and DDR2, and every time I install Windows on a SATA drive, that message appears, therefor eliminating RAM as the problem and making the SATA the culprit as it is the only thing to be different with the build where it would otherwise load, install, and run perfectly on a PATA drive, and I am also using my 3rd SATA drive that I bought, thinking ti was a bad SATA drive.

I have always loaded RAID drivers, but with this motherboard, I don't need to as the RAID is controlled via the chipset (as I figure that most motherboards might do), and apparently with the 650i chipset, it makes RAID easier because no drivers are needed. Too bad this isn't a RAID problem, it's a problem with Windows loading and running properly on a SATA drive.

I can't seem to find any info about this board relating to this problem on the web, or any possible fixes. The only thing I can think of is enabling RAID and having my 1 SATA drive run under Spanning (or JBOD), as I heard that has fixed this problem with some other Asus motherboards (some older ones at that). If anyone here has a P5N-E, and is having trouble loading and running Windows with a SATA drive, and have not yet tried this option, go ahead and enable RAID in the BIOS and set the SATA under Span or Spanning, and see if that fixes it. If it requires 2 drives to do this, never mind then.

This is a problem that I have been dealing with for the past, well, 2.5 years and through 3 completely different computer builds the problem has remained the same. Just about every option has been considered and tried, and the only thing I can think of at this point is to try to set the SATA under RAID Spanning and see if that works, but I need someone else to try it because I don't have my motherboard with me.
April 29, 2007 12:53:26 AM

I feel for you sgtdisturbed47sgtd. I was able to do it no problem, once I went though the reset on my mobo. I know it was previously listed to try and install a linux os on it to see if it's windows or the mobo, but that the only thing I can think of that might give you more information. The RAID drivers are not needed with sp2 with newer motherboards, have you tried the install without it BTW?
Related resources
!