prolfe

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Hello all,
Recently I've been asked to build an HTPC for a friend. I've never done one before, so I need a little help. Following is the current parts list:
Gigabyte 965p-ds3
ATI x1300PRO
C2D e6400
2X512 CAS4 DDR2667 Patriot Memory
Samsung HD501LJ 500GB HDD
X-fi XtremeGamer
Logisys PS575XBK power supply (575 watts with good reviews on newegg)
Generic DVD R/W

This PC will be used primarily for DVD playback (disc- and image-based) and MP3 playback.

My questions are: will MCE work with remotes other than the MCE remote? Will MCE create user-friendly menus like I see in review pictures of HTPC streaming-based devices? Do I need to buy a case with software included? Is there aftermarket software available that works, and if so is it better or worse than MCE? I really do not know anything about MCE, so I appreciate your help!

VChuck

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2003
:roll: I feel sorry for you and your friend,soon to be your enemy if you bought all the hardware! Have you not researched at all?!!!
Go to "The Green Button" or "HTPC news" sorry to be so harsh,but you seem to be a IDIOT! :?
apologies, disregard that derogatory statement Prolfe, not in a good mood today.MCE 2005 ya gotta have MCE compliant hardware.
building a oem MCE 2005 might be a royal pain in the ass for you and I advise against it(spent months researching myself)just deciding myself which tuner to get
any how why not just use XP pro?

G

I just built an HTPC myself.

If you are not set on using MCE may I offer a free alternative

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

mediaportal is an open source application that works just like MCE and will run on just about any XP machine.

I just set it up on my own system with specs close to yours.

I can watch movies right from the dvd or from the HD
can play any MP3
can watch other types of media
It also offers TV and radio options if your HTPC will be so equipped.

Hell you can even check the local weather right there on your sofa.

It does work with the MCE remotes by microsoft and there are options to use remotes from other companies.

Not a bad little program. check it out