Q: Black sidebars best for plasma?

A newbie question, pls forgive me:

I'm planning on getting a plasma, and I note the Panasonic user manuals say
sidebar brightness can be adjusted from light to dark, and even OFF (which
I imagine means black). I intend to be watching a lot of 4:3 media, and
wonder if black sidebars would NOT produce burn-in, or at least be better
in the long run. I prefer black sidebars.

Are black plasma pixels OFF, i.e. not creating burn-in, or are they
burning-in a BLACK ghost?

If there's a FAQ on this, would appreciate the URL.

--
Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA

    In article <Xns95B0F3D37D321gillen@216.194.192.13>,
    Charles Gillen <see-my-sig@below.com> wrote:

    > A newbie question, pls forgive me:
    >
    > I'm planning on getting a plasma, and I note the Panasonic user manuals say
    > sidebar brightness can be adjusted from light to dark, and even OFF (which
    > I imagine means black). I intend to be watching a lot of 4:3 media, and
    > wonder if black sidebars would NOT produce burn-in, or at least be better
    > in the long run. I prefer black sidebars.
    >
    > Are black plasma pixels OFF, i.e. not creating burn-in, or are they
    > burning-in a BLACK ghost?
    >
    > If there's a FAQ on this, would appreciate the URL.

    Supposedly, it should be about the same brightness as the rest of the
    picture or you will burn in the edge. I have certainly seen this form of
    burn in.

    So pick grey, or better yet pick JUST you will get used to it

    "SA" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > In article <Xns95B0F3D37D321gillen@216.194.192.13>,
    > Charles Gillen <see-my-sig@below.com> wrote:
    >
    > > A newbie question, pls forgive me:
    > >
    > > I'm planning on getting a plasma, and I note the Panasonic user manuals
    say
    > > sidebar brightness can be adjusted from light to dark, and even OFF
    (which
    > > I imagine means black). I intend to be watching a lot of 4:3 media, and
    > > wonder if black sidebars would NOT produce burn-in, or at least be
    better
    > > in the long run. I prefer black sidebars.
    > >
    > > Are black plasma pixels OFF, i.e. not creating burn-in, or are they
    > > burning-in a BLACK ghost?
    > >
    > > If there's a FAQ on this, would appreciate the URL.
    >
    > Supposedly, it should be about the same brightness as the rest of the
    > picture or you will burn in the edge. I have certainly seen this form of
    > burn in.
    >
    > So pick grey, or better yet pick JUST you will get used to it

    The phosphors in the plasma cells age with use, in other words they loose
    the ability to output as much light. IF you pick black sidebars then when
    viewing a full size picture you will notice that the areas where the black
    bars were will be brighter. Plasma is said to age quite quickly compared to
    RPTV. Use grey sidebars as they will age at about the same rate as the rest
    of the screen.

    If you use a Plasma TV allot expect to want to replace it every three years
    or so.

    The advantage of LCD and DLP Projection TV is that there is no phosphor to
    age. There is a lamp that needs to be replaced every three years (with
    normal use) that costs about $200. Compare that to a Plasma that you
    replace the whole set @ $3,000

    "Jeff Rigby" <jffg2@comcast.net> wrote:

    > The advantage of LCD and DLP Projection TV is that there is no phosphor
    > to age. There is a lamp that needs to be replaced every three years
    > (with normal use) that costs about $200. Compare that to a Plasma that
    > you replace the whole set @ $3,000

    My son has a 50" Sony LCD projection which has neither the brightness nor
    good black levels I appreciate. He keeps it in a darkened theater room,
    while my large living room has more glass walls than solid, not to mention a
    4' x 8' skylight. So, it has to be plasma for me :^)

    --

    SA <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

    > So pick grey, or better yet pick JUST you will get used to it

    Thanks... that seems to be the consensus, unlike my original inclination
    toward black sidebars. Hope JUST will not be too distorted.

    --
    Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
    Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA

    In article <Xns95B18C7BE3AB7gillen@216.194.192.13>, see-my-sig@below.com
    says...
    > "Jeff Rigby" <jffg2@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > > The advantage of LCD and DLP Projection TV is that there is no phosphor
    > > to age. There is a lamp that needs to be replaced every three years
    > > (with normal use) that costs about $200. Compare that to a Plasma that
    > > you replace the whole set @ $3,000
    >
    > My son has a 50" Sony LCD projection which has neither the brightness nor
    > good black levels I appreciate. He keeps it in a darkened theater room,
    > while my large living room has more glass walls than solid, not to mention a
    > 4' x 8' skylight. So, it has to be plasma for me :^)

    Uh... DLP?

    But whatever... it is your money after all. And someone has to buy them
    for them to continue improving the technology to the point where it
    makes actual sense to buy them :p

    "Jeff Rigby" <jffg2@comcast.net> wrote in

    > If you use a Plasma TV allot expect to want to replace it every three
    > years or so.

    Many new plasma units are now rated at 60,000 hours. So, even if your use
    is "quite alot", the unit should last a good deal longer than three years.

    This short-life warning is likely to be repeated long after it is no longer
    true.

    jimhill@swcp.com (Jim Hill) wrote in news:cou3oa$llj$1@iruka.swcp.com:

    > JJ wrote:
    >> [...]
    >
    > Third time's a charm: I use my plasma "a lot".

    If I understand you correctly - did the first two fail outright or "fade
    out"? I'm guessing they were early generations?

HDTV Burner Home Theatre