Unable to remove read only from C:

Khan48

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
I have recently had problems with windows explorer and the c drive. Opening the my computer icon shows no drives, no cd, c:, flash drives, nothing! The only way i can navigate through these drives is the top pull down menu. WTF!!!!1111. Also when i right click and try to explore my computer i get a windows error message(not the bsod the one were it asks to send report to ms). Another wierd thing is that when i insert a flash drive and try to open a file i get the same kind of error message. My last problem is that all the files in the c drive seem to be read only. so for some reason my whole c drive seems to be read only. The only thing i've done recently is replaced some ram that went bad and caused multiple bsods before i figured out what it was. Could this bad ram have corrupted my hd some how? Every app i had installed pre errors works fine so i don't know wtf is going on? plzzz help cause i don't want to reformat.

core 2 duo
2gb corsair
wd 250gb
1950xt
samsung writemaster dvd
gigabyte p965 chipset
xp sp 2

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
you have scanned with an upto date anti virus? also spysweeper?

if you don't have spysweeper please do a free scan below ;)

Khan48

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Unfortanently i don't have an xp cd w/ sp2 version on it as i updated from and older xp cd. It tells me to do a repair i would have to delete all files. I did run a chkdsk w/out read only it didn't fix the problems. Any other ideas of what to do aside from a full format? (xp updates suck almost as much as wow updates =D)