firewire

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

Hi
Yesterday I had a signal for an automatic update download and install. The
process proceeded to shutdown and restart at which time I noticed that the
update symbol was still in the tray and when selected notified that updates
where ready for installation. When I selected install the installation was
shown as a failure to install; when I checked the installation history screen
it showed a success for the first installation but a failure for all
subsequent tries. The machine has been shutdown over night but the update
symbol is still active in the tray. How do I remove/shutdown this process?
Thanks.

firewire Wrote:
> Hi
> Yesterday I had a signal for an automatic update download and install.
> The
> process proceeded to shutdown and restart at which time I noticed that
> the
> update symbol was still in the tray and when selected notified that
> updates
> where ready for installation. When I selected install the installation
> was
> shown as a failure to install; when I checked the installation history
> screen
> it showed a success for the first installation but a failure for all
> subsequent tries. The machine has been shutdown over night but the
> update
> symbol is still active in the tray. How do I remove/shutdown this
> process?
> Thanks.

Go to Start/Control Panel/Security Center and switch of automatic
updates, see how that works. I do update regularly and have expericence
the odd download failure, although not often, and I tend to choose when
to do so, rather than automatically.

Good luck,
Paul.

--
Paul Webster

i have the same thing going on and can't seem to get a straight answer
from anyone
has to do with ms installer 3.1 update
turning OFF auto updates does not cure the problem