Automatic Update Problems

Hi
Yesterday I had a signal for an automatic update download and install. The
process proceeded to shutdown and restart at which time I noticed that the
update symbol was still in the tray and when selected notified that updates
where ready for installation. When I selected install the installation was
shown as a failure to install; when I checked the installation history screen
it showed a success for the first installation but a failure for all
subsequent tries. The machine has been shutdown over night but the update
symbol is still active in the tray. How do I remove/shutdown this process?
Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about automatic update problems

    firewire Wrote:
    > Hi
    > Yesterday I had a signal for an automatic update download and install.
    > The
    > process proceeded to shutdown and restart at which time I noticed that
    > the
    > update symbol was still in the tray and when selected notified that
    > updates
    > where ready for installation. When I selected install the installation
    > was
    > shown as a failure to install; when I checked the installation history
    > screen
    > it showed a success for the first installation but a failure for all
    > subsequent tries. The machine has been shutdown over night but the
    > update
    > symbol is still active in the tray. How do I remove/shutdown this
    > process?
    > Thanks.

    Go to Start/Control Panel/Security Center and switch of automatic
    updates, see how that works. I do update regularly and have expericence
    the odd download failure, although not often, and I tend to choose when
    to do so, rather than automatically.

    Good luck,
    Paul.

    --
    Paul Webster

    i have the same thing going on and can't seem to get a straight answer
    from anyone
    has to do with ms installer 3.1 update
    turning OFF auto updates does not cure the problem

Microsoft Shutdown Windows XP