Sign in with
Your question

Desktop Idea

Last response: in Systems
April 27, 2007 7:56:50 PM

What parts would you recommened to someone who was trying to go about making an incredibly small desktop pc

More about : desktop idea

April 27, 2007 8:18:28 PM

What are your uses? What is your budget?
April 27, 2007 8:35:37 PM

1. use a laptop
or
2. SFF

done and done.
Related resources
April 27, 2007 9:00:56 PM

Since you want a "desktop" PC, and a small one at that I assume you want to have a standard ATX PSU.

Now those are around 86mm tall. The only heatsink that I know of that is that small, in comparasion to the PSU, is the CNPS 7700.

Then for the Graphics card you would need a PCI-E connnection that makes the card go on its side so the card is parallel to the mobo.

I have been trying to build something like this but I don't have the graphics card thingy, or a GFX card, to make the card go side ways. I don't even know if they exist.

IF you are really good you could make one of those connectors if they don't exist, but then this begins to get really complicated so, I have to ask what are you going to be doing with this desktop?
April 27, 2007 9:11:52 PM

incredibly small desktop PC's do incredibly small things, I like my PC's to do incredibly big things. :wink:
April 27, 2007 9:19:23 PM

Riser 1
Riser 2

The above were just the results from a quick google and are supposedly case specific but im sure they would work in any small form factor pc (dont quote me on that ^^). Look a little more and im sure you'll find more :) 
April 27, 2007 9:47:38 PM

Well looks like I can build my super small desktop PC! How about you mussy?
April 27, 2007 10:03:05 PM

Thermaltake LANBox SFF case
any uATX motherboard, C2D & DDR2-800 compatible (I'm thinking the Gigabyte)
C2D processor (e6420 maybe?)
Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU cooler/comparable Zalman
DDR2-800 RAM
8800GTS (if you remove the hard drive cage and mount a drive in the floppy bay, the case is long enough to hold an 8800GTX!)
74GB Raptor in the floppy bay, get a 5.25" mounting kit for a storage drive
SATA DVD Burner
Modular PSU, the Thermaltake 700W is a good one
Creative X-Fi sound card

That should be a nice SFF system. You never listed specs, so I just listed parts that should total up to around $1500-1700 or so. The LANBox is an awesome uATX case, just look for reviews on it and discover that people are in love with this case. I'm considering going SFF, and this would be a system I'd build for myself.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2007 10:21:36 PM

Quote:
Mussy,

Try things like this:

http://mini-itx.com/79195663

It is what you are looking for. Trying to build a Micro PC/SFF can be difficult to find individual pieces and prices that you may like.

If yo are not up for that challenge you could always purchase a Shuttle PC:

http://us.shuttle.com/P2_3900G_1.aspx

Cool!

Building a SFF PC takes some time on component selection(some components will be either too big or generate too much heat{noise} for a SFF case), but can pay off in space savings. If and when you do take on the build don't forget to show us it.

Also take a look @ some of Antec's SFF'ish cases

http://www.antec.com/us/pro_enclosures.php

check under "LifeStyle Series" and "New Solution Series"
there are others but some of those came to mind. :) 
April 27, 2007 10:45:38 PM

Mussy,

The other thing you could look into is a HTPC case. Many are the smaller form factor (but just a little bit larger). Many can handle a full length/size video card (be careful though heat and size in this case does matter:) ). They can typically handle a full size ATX MB too.

Some HTPC cases fall in between that full size desktop and micro ITX case form factor.

This kind of gives you best of both worlds. I would think of staying completely SATA for your drives as it will use smaller cables allowing for better airflow.

HTPC cases also tend to look just like a stereo component and a nice set of amplified speakers/tv tuner could have this system being your media everything while still looking nice.

Just some options...
!