Will you buy an R600 card

Total: 87 votes

• Yes
  • 55 %
  • No
  • 46 %
April 27, 2007 8:04:40 PM

Kind of a redundant question :D 
Of course you will buy them if they are good ... and if not, then you probably won't buy them, but anyway I am just curios about your opinions and expectations now that were on the brink of release and benchmarks...

I know we don't have the full picture about these cards yet, all we know is some of their specs and some very questionable benchmarks (at whom I don't pay very much attention until they can be verified from other sources)...

Anyway I think whey will be good products and I look forward to the real benchmarks!!!

Let me just mention that the poll must be considered under the supposition that ATI cards will have at least a decent price/performance, we will do that because I think everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt ... at least until proven otherwise …

More about : buy r600 card

April 27, 2007 8:10:25 PM

No.
a c 160 U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 8:14:49 PM

Even if they turn out to be awesome I am just looking forward to the price drops on the 8800's.

So far i am not very convinced that they will be very good. The suck to much power and don't produce enough results from what I have seen. If they are producing the results I am seeing they better the keep them off the market and fix them.

So NO, i will not be buying one, even though I am an ATI fan.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 27, 2007 8:14:50 PM

If they can get a competitor for the 8800GTS320MB, that's about the same price as the 8800 320, and with all the bells at whistles they're pushing right now for the XT (IE: Sound, physics, DX10, apparent 8800GTS crushing power...)... chances are I will get one.

An R600 XL looks like the best bet for something like that right now, or maybe a Pro version (if either come out soon.)

I used Nvidia once and I don't really think that now, after three years of ATI, I will be going back quietly.

The 2-Power Supply thing is a pain, though, and I'm really ticked off with both Nvidia AND AMD right now... My x1650pro plays BF2 just fine right now, thanks, I'm worried mainly about DX10...
April 27, 2007 8:16:57 PM

Make it a poll question...

I think it all depends on the price/performance ratio in the various market segments. Let's say a student has $300 to spend, he won't give a rat's *** that the 8800 GTX ($500+) is faster than any ATI card. He will choose between the $300 offerings from ATI and nVidia and pick the best one, which might very well be from ATI. If ATI can produce the HD2900XT for less than it costs nVidia to produce an 8800 GTS 320 MB then ATI will make good sales and profits.

Of course, for the 2% of PC owners who actually care, a top card is very important and they'll stick with the 8800 GTX as long as ATI's cards can't beat it. Unpleasant, but not important for ATI.
April 27, 2007 8:23:18 PM

That question can't be answered right now. Nobody will blindly buy a component without first evaluating price and performance
April 27, 2007 8:24:09 PM

Quote:
Make it a poll question...

Thanks for your idea ... :D 
April 27, 2007 8:26:14 PM

Unlikely.

My next upgrade will probably be G90 or R700.
April 27, 2007 8:27:24 PM

I will not buy an R600 card. I'm an enthusiast, and my next cards are going to be nvidia G80's, most likely the GTX's, unless the Ultra's offer more performance, regardless of price. For me, it's about performance, and right now, AMD can't touch nvidia.
April 27, 2007 8:30:32 PM

Nope, I'm happy.
April 27, 2007 8:44:41 PM

I won't buy a r600. But I will buy from AMD "cough" ATI again.
I really hope they get the problems fixed by the r700.
April 27, 2007 8:51:18 PM

I'm pretty sure i read the R600 will have better technical specs then the 8800GTS, if it does i'll probably get the R600 (XT version), unless the price is ridiculous

(this is of course after solid benchmarks..)
April 27, 2007 8:59:40 PM

Let me just mention that the poll must be considered under the supposition that ATI cards will have at least a decent price/performance, we will do that because I think everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt ... at least until proven otherwise …
April 27, 2007 9:08:27 PM

No.

I'm pretty happy with the performance my 9800 pro gave me, but the R600 just doesn't seem yet to give the same bang for the $. I'm going to hold out a little longer... I'll probably end up with a 8800GTS or wait until the refresh... either way, I'm going to wait until prices come way down.
April 27, 2007 9:11:26 PM

If it sells for around 250$ i may buy one, unless the 8600 GTS drop to 150 or so...
April 27, 2007 9:17:10 PM

Off course not!
8800GTS is more than enough to make me happy.
even X1900/7900 Seriess owner don't need to upgrade their Graphics cards to some ATI's Next Generation HD X2K Fully DX10 Support Blah Blah Blah... Card. :mrgreen: :tongue:
my next upgrade would be a Dual/Quad Core CPU/Mobo/Memory.(Next year or maybe Summer), But for now i`m saving money to get an Opteron 165 or 170.(not much of an upgrade over a FX57 :? , is it?)
April 27, 2007 9:23:59 PM

seems like more people are now comparing it to the 320mb gts, not the 640, which last i checked [unless i was mistaken or the preliminary benches were BS], the xt was beating the 640 though not by much...

in any case, when ati officially announced a few days ago that the xt was not intended to compete with the gtx, but the gts, i assumed they were talking about the 640mb version.

so, with that in mind, as long as the pricing is competitive, i'd rather get a xt over the gts640mb. still, according to the unimpressive numbers dailytech managed to puke up most recently, i'd rather have a gtx than anything, but i aint about to spend 500. 400 is my price range cap.

i think i see it so far as gtx>xt>gts640>320
tho as far as my price range goes as of yet, xt looks to be the top pick.

...but still... that gtx is sick... idk

more than just thorough benches for the r600, i'd like to see some real dx10 testing between nvidia and ati. that's what is really most important after all...
April 27, 2007 9:32:17 PM

Quote:
I will not buy an R600 card. I'm an enthusiast, and my next cards are going to be nvidia G80's, most likely the GTX's, unless the Ultra's offer more performance, regardless of price. For me, it's about performance, and right now, AMD can't touch nvidia.
The 8800Ultra is supposed to be priced at $1000 and have a 75MHz clock speed advantage. :?

I won't be upgrading as I already have an 8800GTX.
April 27, 2007 9:38:25 PM

Quote:

633/2.03
Damn Nice OverClocking Man! :twisted:
you already have the 8800Ultra! :twisted: 8)
April 27, 2007 9:52:06 PM

Probably depending on the performance and price. I have 7900 GT 256mb and im very happy with it. Two of may past graphic cards have been from nVidia and no problem at all. But on the other hand, ive had ATi 9800 PRO and I loved it.

So for me it really depends and i need to see some benchmarks.

In response to some who mentioned about the models of the ATi vs nVidia, i think they may go like this:

Geforce 8800 GTS 320 vs ATi R600 PRO (or XT 256)
8800 GTS 640 vs ATi R600 XT 512
April 27, 2007 9:58:18 PM

I am with ninjaspa on this one. Yeah, the GTX is the king and it won't be trumped by the xt or even the xtx, but I have a cap on what I'm going to spend. 400-500 is what I'm willing to spend on a gfx card Since that puts me into the xt or gts640 I'm going to go with the xt. First it does seem to do better even with less memory and second DAAMIT's drivers have been better then nVidias as of late.
April 27, 2007 10:03:44 PM

Quote:

633/2.03
Damn Nice OverClocking Man! :twisted:
you already have the 8800Ultra! :twisted: 8)A lot of people have gotten higher overclocks than this; I probably could go a bit higher with better cooling, but I'm running still running stock.
April 27, 2007 10:05:46 PM

How much performance gain?
April 27, 2007 10:07:28 PM

Quote:
DAAMIT's drivers have been better then nVidias as of late.
You can't compare them though; Nvidia has had Direct X10 hardware out for 6 months, where ATI hasn't.
April 27, 2007 10:14:27 PM

I'll let you know when we know about performances (especially for DX10 games, they'll run any DX9 games fine for sure), price and overheating problem (or if they exist). Before I see review from independant site, I won't decide. Neither will I get one before DX10 games start being available.

Last Dx9 first generation VPU I got (Radeon 9800Pro) was just "too slow" to run first true Dx9 games (Oblivion) with eye-candy enable to really make it look good. I don't want to repeat that with my next VPU for sure, neither do I want to have to upgrade within 12 months of my purchase.

So, put me in no, unless I need it to run upcoming Crysis.
April 27, 2007 10:19:29 PM

yeah, i'll get an r600 card, it will be the hd 2600xt, will perform on par with the x1950pro and be in the same price point, plus it will be dx10, so it seems like my kinda thing,also with native crossfire it might also do well in a setup like that.
April 27, 2007 10:19:38 PM

Quote:
You can't compare them though; Nvidia has had Direct X10 hardware out for 6 months, where ATI hasn't.

and out of those 6months they still havent been able to make stable decent Vista drivers.... :roll:

every rumor has said that ATI's Vista drivers have been a lot more stable (even on existing cards ati's vista drivers has been better then nvidias...)
April 27, 2007 10:20:53 PM

and the problems has been with dx9 stuff so the comparison is legit. We don't know how either will do with a dx10 game since there isn't one yet. So DX10 is a non issue.
April 27, 2007 10:23:26 PM

what i really want is a damn Intel Motherboard that can do true dual 16x in crossfire instead of 8x :\ due to the fact i think the R600 is going to eat the 8x bandwidth alive
April 27, 2007 10:47:29 PM

All depends on the pricing.. I cannot go over the 1280*1024 res. on my monitor so I would not even consider getting GTS 640 Mb version or the HD 2900 XT couse it wouldn't make sence to pay for extra RAM.

I wonder why everyone is comparing HD 2900 XT to GTS 640's price becouse in all benchmarks I've seen so far (disregarding extreem resolutions) 640 is unable to outpreform the 320 MB version witch is a whole bit cheaper. I might consider ATI if they put something better in 320's price range within one month (when I will be getting my new setup). For now it's GTS 320 for me :) 

Voted NO
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 11:17:47 PM

Poll needs a 'maybe' and would be preferable if it were an R6xx, not just R600.

Since my answer to the poll as stated, is nope, don't want no R600 or GF80 in my laptop, need something 65nm and about half the transistors, but kept the memory bitwidth if you don't mind. :twisted:

And personally won't know the best choice until them mobile version arrive and are benched.
April 27, 2007 11:18:48 PM

:)  I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but my decision will rest on one thing: VISTA DRIVERS! If ATI can give good vista drivers with their R600's, then I will buy one. If not, then I will keep my 7900gs until next year.
April 28, 2007 2:36:12 AM

Quote:
:)  I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but my decision will rest on one thing: VISTA DRIVERS! If ATI can give good vista drivers with their R600's, then I will buy one. If not, then I will keep my 7900gs until next year.

Excellent point. nVidia has had plenty of time to get its drivers to work, and they're still not perfect. Assuming that ATI's drivers are perfect is very dangerous IMO. nVidia has had bug reports from the hundred of thousands of unpaid beta testers who bought G80 cards, while ATI had no such advantage. Also, I recently bought a Theater 650 card from ATI (TV tuner) and the software on it is the worst piece of junk I've seen since my first C++ experiments 20 years ago. If the same guys develop and QA their R600 drivers then I wouldn't get the R600 if they paid me to do so, regardless of benchmarks. Sorry ATI guys, as a fellow Canadian programmer I'm embarrassed :oops: 
April 28, 2007 2:44:18 AM

Quote:
Poll needs a 'maybe' and would be preferable if it were an R6xx, not just R600.

Since my answer to the poll as stated, is nope, don't want no R600 or GF80 in my laptop, need something 65nm and about half the transistors, but kept the memory bitwidth if you don't mind. :twisted:

And personally won't know the best choice until them mobile version arrive and are benched.

Come on, Ape, we're talking serious gaming here. I can't even play Solitaire properly on that pathetic excuse for a mouse you find on laptops. :p  :p 

But yeah, where are the 65 nm GPUs? When AMD bought ATI I was expecting them to share some advanced technology with ATI, so that ATI wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. Maybe they've got some major in-fighting between the CPU and GPU departments?
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2007 2:53:55 AM

well, if we look down the road some time, I'd say most likely yes I will be (someday). It's an addiction ya know. :roll:

But what about in the next few months? It's still a definate possibility for me. I am optomistic about the HD 2900XT for $399 or below. I will be replacing this 8800GTS 320MB with either an R600XT or a 8800GTX. And I have a hard time spending $500 on a card, so the 8800GTX is looking doubtful. Anyway, considering the $500+ range is usually too steep for me, the XTX was probably never in my sites anyway. I am still quite happy with the XT as my possible next card. I just hope it handles surround gaming resolutions!

So R600 and sell this card, 8800GTX and sell this card, or 8800GTX trade up. I'll be waiting to see the retail versions being reviewed. Only time will tell so I can't vote.
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2007 3:30:47 AM

Quote:

Come on, Ape, we're talking serious gaming here. I can't even play Solitaire properly on that pathetic excuse for a mouse you find on laptops. :p  :p 

You need to master the rollerball my friend. Fantastic friend of the plane cramped mobile gamer, especially if you basically grew up on ThinkPads.

Quote:
But yeah, where are the 65 nm GPUs? When AMD bought ATI I was expecting them to share some advanced technology with ATI, so that ATI wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. Maybe they've got some major in-fighting between the CPU and GPU departments?

Well 65nm seems to have been in the plans long since before AMD bought them, and they are likely just waiting on better yields from TMSC who is their contractred fab @ 65nm. Now not sure about the laptop parts being delayed by OEM orders since technically they should almost all be OEM destined parts anyways. But hopefully (for me) we'll see the laptop parts before we see the desktop parts. Because I want my laptop before my next business trip in June!
April 28, 2007 4:07:02 AM

Quote:

and out of those 6months they still havent been able to make stable decent Vista drivers.... :roll:

every rumor has said that ATI's Vista drivers have been a lot more stable (even on existing cards ati's vista drivers has been better then nvidias...)You can make up as many rumors about how great ATI's Vista drivers are, but what good are drivers when the hardware doesn't exist yet? By the way, Nvidia has had Direct X10 Vista drivers for awhile now, not that the Direct X10 support is really important with only two Direct X10 applications available, one of them being an Nvidia tech demo.
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2007 10:44:17 AM

What would be really funny is if that demo played better on the xt roh roh dons asbestos suit heheh
April 28, 2007 1:14:43 PM

Whether I buy R600 will depend on the card design. What I'm looking to do is put together a rig that can function both as a gaming platform and as a HTPC. For the latter function, I really need native HDMI output that includes pass-through for lossless-format film soundtracks on high-definition discs.

At the moment this is not looking at all hopeful: the R600 chip will support this feature, but the actual board designs we've seen don't. Instead they offer only DVI output with a DVI-to-HDMI dongle. That means there won't be any digital-audio pass-through on R600 (although there presumably will be on RV6xx).
April 28, 2007 1:37:08 PM

For a reasonable price. But I'm sure it will go by the time Crysis comes out, which would be my only reason to switch to DX10.
April 28, 2007 3:34:41 PM

DX10 is the keyword here. DX9 performance is not so significant. 8800 series and the HD 2900 XT will be sufficient for DX9. The main question is how does it perform under DX10, that it will provide sufficient performance for a few years ahead. So few more days to go to see results. If it doesn't even get close to 8800 GTX numbers i'll hang on to my X800 XT and wait. Untill the most powerfull card out there isn't 6 months old...