Trying to remove an old windows install with XP

Distraction

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
My brother was running Wuindows 2k for a while, but decided to upgrade to XP. Unfortunately, he somehow got it to do a dual-boot setup, and wants to delete the 2k partition. However, the Disc Manager utility doesn't show the 2k installation.

How would I get rid of it?

Distraction

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
When you say doesn't show the 2000 installation, do you mean you can see the partition? How many hard drives do you have?

No, it only shows the partition XP is on. It's a single 20-gig that's been split into two partitions.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I suppose it's possible that Windows will show only one partition with an OS and hide any others with an OS. You could check Microsoft support, which really provides some very useful info if you can find it. Have you tried looking for it in Safe Mode? You could also try booting off the XP CD, which will give you a choice of which partition to install Windows. Choose the partition with 2000 and format it but after the format, shut down the machine and remove the CD

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Yes. Run the XP disc on bootup and reformat that partition and then pop out the CD and reboot. Or...you can try this. Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, then Disk Management. See if the partition exists, then if its listed, right click and select Format. Once the partition has been wiped, XP will still show the boot loader to select which operating to load on system boot. You will have a choice for XP or 2000. To remove 2000 from the list so the computer automatically boots into XP, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced Tab, then "Startup and Recovery" click the settings box. This will load a new window, click the edit button, which will load the boot.ini. In there, delete the line with Windows 2000. It should only have this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

My System:
http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Did he definitely install both operating systems on different partitions. It's quite possible to install multiple o/s on the same partition.

Paste the contents of your boot.ini here

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Did he definitely install both operating systems on different partitions. It's quite possible to install multiple o/s on the same partition.

Paste the contents of your boot.ini here

After my post I did exactly this. I got a new mobo and didn't want to have to install all the programs so I booted off the XP CD and did an install without formating, 2000 was already installed and ended up with both OSs on the same partition. Thought it would just do an upgrade. Ended up having to do a clean reinstall XP, i.e., format the partition prior to install XP.