Catfish_82

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Hey all, I've recently ordered parts for a computer, my motherboard is a BFG Tech Nvidia Nforce 590 sli, and the video card is an Asus en7950GT. However upon installing the nvidia nforce networking controller drivers, I'm getting an error message (Code 12: This device cannot find enough free resouces that it can use.) It's also telling me that I need to disable one of the other devices on the system. A call to nvidia's support informed me that I need to cut back on my power consumption to solve the problem, while BFG's tech support has never even heard of my problem. I cut back on several things and still have the error message. BTW: I have the most current drivers for both motherboard and video card, there are no bios updates for this mobo at this time. Has anyone ever encountered this problem, or know what to do? As of right now both Nvidia and Bfg tech support are stumped, and I've got a $1500 brand new computer doing little more than occupying space on my desk at the moment. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Catfish_82

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I'm pretty sure they do, got 2 gigs of DDR 800 ram and a 450W psu. I finally managed to coax this bit of info out of one of the nvidia techs...I can cut down on power consumption by eliminating unused USB and SATA ports. Would this seriously make that big of a difference. I mean I've already unplugged my dvd burner and still nothing. Perhaps upgrading to a 500W psu would be in order?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If tech support is saying it's a power consumption problem, it sounds like you need a more powerful PSU. Does the card have the 6 way power connector on it and if you, is it connected?

Catfish_82

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
ah, forgive my faux pas. and g-paw, I do have all the power connections...I'm really running a minimalist system here, high class, but minimalist nonetheless....

Update of the interesting kind

Figure this one out....One of the BFG Tech guys told me to consider reinstalling windows XP, which I did and now it wouldn't even let me partition the whole amount of my hard drive. One of the windows techs told me to try a smaller size partition, just to see if it works.....I've got a 500 gig hard drive with a 17 gig partition...now the whole code 12 thing apparently resolved itself (go figure) but now, my system is only recognizing the 17 gigs....so the other 400+ aren't even showing up. I don't like to consider myself technically ignorant, but does this seem screwy to anyone else or is there something I'm missing?

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
how did you make the 17 gig partition? U can use fdisk to see your hdd structure and I'm sure a windows tools like partition magic should work.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
You can only see hdd space that has been formatted. Since you only formatted 17gb, the rest of the space is there but you just have to format it.

To start and use Computer Management on the local computer:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

Now go to Disk Management on the left menu.

You will see your primary hard disk. It will have a 17gb partition(blue) and to the right of it should be a big black unformatted part. Right click on it and hit format and that should do it.

Catfish_82

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Well I'm going to try both ways, but Choknuti, creating partitions is the issue. For some reason it can only handle formating ~17-20 gigs. I tried a 30 gig partition and got the same error message as when I had tried all 500 gigs at once. I don't want to create a bunch of partitions, Ideally, I'd have two at the most. Would the type of processor have anything to do with the formatting?

Catfish_82

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
yup. I'd prefer just one partition, but I'll take what I can get. I want to thank you all for your advice and opinions.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
no problemo!!!
Maybe the OP should try partition magic that way you can get your 2 partitions at whatever size you want it to be.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
You may find 1 partition easier to work with but 2 or more partitions have plenty of benefits. The biggest being that if you install Windows on one partition and keep all your files on the 2nd partition, when windows screws itself up(and yes it is a 'when' because it does) you can format and reinstall windows on the 1sat partition and the 2nd partition will remain untouched.

It's great for people who experiment alot with different OS's.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
word

The minimum amount of partitions should be 2 (I use 3 but that a matter of taste). As desolationw mentioned it is invaluable when reinstalling. Also it is an easy place to back up your files when doing said reinstalation.

You should be able to find a demo version of partition magic on the net.

TRENDING THREADS