Video Memory

A friend asked me to look at a unit that I had to add memory to it is a
900mhz processor with 128 meg of ram it has a video card with 8 meg of ram
and integrated sound. Someone else resently put XP pro on it, upgrade from
millenium, it would lock up so I added 256 meg of ram. They tried to install
a "Simms" game vertual zoo or something like that but it does not recognize
the memory on the video card. How do I share memory to make it work? Do I set
the virtual memory at the amount it is requesting?
3 answers Last reply
More about video memory

    You'll have to open the BIOS and see if more memory
    can be allocated to video. If that option is not available,
    the only solution is to purchase a good video card.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Jammer" wrote:

    | A friend asked me to look at a unit that I had to add memory to it is a
    | 900mhz processor with 128 meg of ram it has a video card with 8 meg of ram
    | and integrated sound. Someone else resently put XP pro on it, upgrade from
    | millenium, it would lock up so I added 256 meg of ram. They tried to install
    | a "Simms" game vertual zoo or something like that but it does not recognize
    | the memory on the video card. How do I share memory to make it work? Do I set
    | the virtual memory at the amount it is requesting?

    Jammer

    An 8mb AGP video card will use RAM if available up to a limit of 32mb.. an
    integrated video card can be set in BIOS to use system memory up to 64mb
    (motherboard dependant limit.. some are still only 32mb)..

    A PCI 8mb video card is just that.. no more, no less..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Jammer" <Jammer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >A friend asked me to look at a unit that I had to add memory to it is a
    > 900mhz processor with 128 meg of ram it has a video card with 8 meg of ram
    > and integrated sound. Someone else resently put XP pro on it, upgrade from
    > millenium, it would lock up so I added 256 meg of ram. They tried to
    > install
    > a "Simms" game vertual zoo or something like that but it does not
    > recognize
    > the memory on the video card. How do I share memory to make it work? Do I
    > set
    > the virtual memory at the amount it is requesting?

    Jammer <Jammer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >A friend asked me to look at a unit that I had to add memory to it is a
    >900mhz processor with 128 meg of ram it has a video card with 8 meg of ram
    >and integrated sound. Someone else resently put XP pro on it, upgrade from
    >millenium, it would lock up so I added 256 meg of ram. They tried to install
    >a "Simms" game vertual zoo or something like that but it does not recognize
    >the memory on the video card. How do I share memory to make it work? Do I set
    >the virtual memory at the amount it is requesting?

    If the video is on a separate card then the only way to increase the
    video memory is to install additional memory chips onto the video
    card. You would have to contact the manufacturer of the video card or
    check the documentation that came with the video card in order to
    determine what type of RAM chips can be added to that specific video
    card model, if it is at all possible to do so. Many video cards with
    8 mb of RAM cannot have more RAM added. In that circumstance the
    option would be to replace the video card with a new one that has the
    requisite amount of RAM.

    If the video is integrated into the motherboard (but the way I read
    your comments above is that the sound is integrated but the video is a
    separate card) then you can possibly increase the amount of RAM
    allocated to video by means of the BIOS setup. But doing so will
    reduce the amount of RAM available to Windows.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP