Question regarding Cedega

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I am heavily looking at completely letting go of windows for linux. I have been using linux for a while now, but always dual-booting for my games. I would like to hear some experiences that people have had with Cedega. If it works as well as Transgaming boasts then I'll pay for it.

linux_0

Splendid
Good to hear :-D

I would advise you to check out the appDB

http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php

and the Cedega gamesDB

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/

WINE / Cedega are pretty good, unfortunately there are issues with certain games.

Some games run better than they do on windows, some run well, some run with a few bugs / annoyances and some do not run at all.

Please keep that in mind so that you are not disappointed.

OpenGL games tend to run quite well on Linux. D3D games not so much.

It's always best to run the native Linux version of the game if one exists.

Doom, Quake, America's Army and several other games have native Linux versions :-D

Check out:

http://www.tuxgames.com/

http://www.happypenguin.org/

GL :-D

I am heavily looking at completely letting go of windows for linux. I have been using linux for a while now, but always dual-booting for my games. I would like to hear some experiences that people have had with Cedega. If it works as well as Transgaming boasts then I'll pay for it.
[/b]

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
i don't mean to barge in on some one elses question, but...

ive looked at both the DBs before and ive found them a bit lacking, perhaps i am overlooking something?

example: Look up Neverwinter Nights 2 (roleplaying game RPG) in both cedege and wine's DB, it doesn't actually say whether or not the game works at all, buggy or otherwise.

well ok after looking a bit at the wine DB i figured out how to view some one elses comments on their try at getting it to run, and they said the game wont play...

still havent figured out how to find anything on Cedega's DB .... or is that in game rating statistics with the odd looking purple stars?

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005

My experience with cedega has been good, using a Geforce 6600 video card...
the games i tried to play with cedega all worked (admitedly this was a little more than a year ago though)

I ended up switching back to Windows because somethin went funky with my debian install durring an apt-get of a simple program that ended up uninstalling like 200+ packages and i got frustrated because of the time i had spent configuring debian to work the way i wanted it to blah blah etc etc heh

needless to say i pulled the trigger before i knew what i was aiming at, i dont blame debian and it had nothing to do with cedega.....

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Thank you everyone for your responses. For now I think I am going to keep dual-booting Vista and Ubuntu. I will be playing around with wine and cedega, but I am a power hungry person when it comes to frame rates. I love linux and love games, I just wish it was easier to facilitate both loves.

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Avid NWN player myself :) Was quite dissappointed that NWN2 didn't work in Cedega too (Couldn't finish the installation, error when you try to put the key in [you can't type in the boxes])

But there is hope on the horizon, slowly we are getting more people join the Linux Gaming community and there is more support slowly gaining with that sway of people.

Maybe in afew more years, we'll be close to on par with Windows in Gaming, or even setting the standards ?!? :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention, MMORPG fans, check out PlaneShift. A nice open source MMORPG, still in the Alpha stages, I've been playing it for 4 years now since the Molecular Blue release and it's a lot of fun. Not as tricked out as things like WOW, but it's slowly progressing and it's a good community.

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I myself have been a long standing fan of rpgs (got some dusty dice in a closet somewhere from like 15 years ago)

right now the major problem i have is me and my best friend play all the multiplayer games together, simply because nothin makes a good RP game any better than playing with a friend. Of course we both have lives, he has 2 kids, i have 3 now......

and getting most games working over a network has been such a simple thing in windows, via VPN, just a couple clicks, quick settup of forwarding ports on the router and poof done - and there is NO way i would convince him to switch to linux (ever) its hard to convince myself to do so as well, the amount of time it would take us to configure everything would be a huge waste of time, not to mention he simply wont switch unless all the games he wants to play come as native linux programs

so its kind of tricky, yes i want to support the linux movement, hell i enjoyed using linux, but i cant due to the current learning curve. so for now i sit on the sidelines and wait for it and hopefully companies will start supporting it with alot more titles. We've seen some possitive support for linux but it feels like a token gesture sometimes.

Computers are my hobby, been that way for 20 years now. Computer games also my hobby. Hopefully we start seeing some real improvments in game releases for linux cuz it really is an awsome alternative to windows, i think most companies look at the pocket book though...

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Let me know your char's name when you do Geeky B. Might catch up with you online :) Don't forget to read the forums first and the players guide, it will help you endlessly.

Planeshift is a great game if your not expecting WOW for free. There are bugs and errors that occur regular in PlaneShift, but it's made by a team of developers who do it for nothing, in their spare time with their money!

One of the greatest things I enjoy about the game is exploring the world.

@IR_Efrem: Which games do you want to play? They might work in Cedega right off the bat. I play BF2 online with no hassles in Cedega, except for the odd server that tries to kick me for not using windows :lol: If you need a simple VPN setup, Hamachi works in Linux as well and is free. Or you can learn to use OpenVPN :)

The linux learning curve isnt too bad. Not as hard as I thought when I took the plunge. At least with Linux, if I have a problem, there is large supportive community, ready to help me out :D. I couldn't say the same with windows... which generally entails, format, upgrade or $65/hr please... :x

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Ah. A few people get the sound crash problem. Check out the PS forums as they have a more in depth explanation for it and solutions then I can think of off the top of my head.

If you need PS Linux help with it, speak with Xordan, he's the PS equiv of Linux_0 8)

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
What error do you get? do you invoke the game from desktop/menu shortcut or via terminal?

If you run it via terminal, you get to see all the processes and errors in realtime 8)

Just:

[code:1:d3d36a7f05]
cd /opt/planeshift/
./psclient
[/code:1:d3d36a7f05]

When you minimise the game window, you'll see all the bits of the program running in terminal :D I use this when I'm having troubles.

Check out this thread: http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=19389.0
My thread when I had problems: http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=27541.0

Post up some screenshots here too if you can, that helps with errors :)

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Ah, I haven't had the darkness problem since way way way back in version 3.015 :D

You can use the relight map option in pssetup screen :) What hardware do you have Geeky B?