Probably a simple question.

HaZe88

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
But ive looked around for an answer and havent been able to find one.

BTW, Hi, im Mark from bc,canada, and i recently bought a new computer: Specs:
AMDX2 5000+
XFX 7950GT VID CARD
2 gigs corsair pc6400 ddr2 ram
m2n-sli Deluxe mobo

Anyway, I bought this pc in december, and had a question about the video card. My system is rdy for SLi, and I plan on buying another 7950gt in the not so distant future. Here is my question. What video card do i need to pair my 7950gt with. I know it has to be the same make/model, but looking around, im noticing all these other "varients" (BFG/PNY/) and "speeds" ( Xtreme, OC edition, stuff like that) Im just wondering whether i can get a different OEM version of my card, and if it has to be the same "speed".
I know this is hella confusing, but, basically, can i pair it with ANY 7950GT model, or MUST it be the same settings/manufacture. Thanks in advance!

uri

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
As far as I know if you get a faster (OC) 7950GT it will be under clock at the SLI set-up to match the card you've got, so I wouldn't try to get a faster one (if it costs more)

Please correct me if I'm wrong (The last time I had an SLI set-up it was with 2 Voodoo2 and SLI stood for something else :D )

dietzjack

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Im just wondering whether i can get a different OEM version of my card, and if it has to be the same "speed".
Other people have answered your question satisfactorily.

I would like to advise you: SELL your existing card and get a better one. The best price/performance on the market right now is Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 320MB edition. SELL your existing card and get this one if you are looking for more performance. You will have less headaches this way, trust me. There are a bunch of problems with games not supporting SLI, weird glitches, small performance gains, etc... You are much better off w/ just one card.

margag_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2005
Yup !

this is the way to go forget sli and get a stronger card.

Performance of sli varies too much and is not cost effective.

Im just wondering whether i can get a different OEM version of my card, and if it has to be the same "speed".
Other people have answered your question satisfactorily.

I would like to advise you: SELL your existing card and get a better one. The best price/performance on the market right now is Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 320MB edition. SELL your existing card and get this one if you are looking for more performance. You will have less headaches this way, trust me. There are a bunch of problems with games not supporting SLI, weird glitches, small performance gains, etc... You are much better off w/ just one card.

Agreed most definetly, don't waste the money trying to SLI what you have. Get one good 8800GTS and never look back :)