reinstalled XP but the C: drive is now D:

ddos

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
I have two drives, one for data and one for windows. I had installed vista on C: but after it not liking my programs ive reinstalled XP on what was the C: drive. Its reinstalled fine but now the C: drive is D:!!

Is there an easy way to rename the drive?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I may be wrong but I don't think there is anything other than reinstalling Windows. I find it best to disconnect all the drives except the one I'm installing Windows on before doing an install and then reconnect them

_path_finder

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Don't try to change this letter under Windows because you can't change the letter of system partition (disk) in disk management console without serious consequences. You can use 3d party software like Disk Director in order to execute this task however I think that simple Windows reinstallation is much better.

timbatec

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Yes, you can change it! For that problem I use bootable Paragon Hard Disk Manager, there is a fix boot option which will change all stufs in the windows registry, drive letter and boot.ini
I you find it you will solve that problem easy :)

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Yes, you can change it! For that problem I use bootable Paragon Hard Disk Manager, there is a fix boot option which will change all stufs in the windows registry, drive letter and boot.ini
I you find it you will solve that problem easy :)

I have the same problem, my C drive is E and it sucks. I found the paragon website and it costs like $80 bucks! Is there a free version?

rishi_sanju

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
For whatever reason XP hard codes the drive letter. The file is:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system. I had the same problem. Luckily had the backup. When I replaced the above file my drive back to C:(before that it was E:). When I had this problem I read somewhere you can edit the registry to make this changes, but not sure. Hope this helps.

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
For whatever reason XP hard codes the drive letter. The file is:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system. I had the same problem. Luckily had the backup. When I replaced the above file my drive back to C:(before that it was E:). When I had this problem I read somewhere you can edit the registry to make this changes, but not sure. Hope this helps.

Wait a minute what do you mean by backup? You replaced system with another from your other os or something where it was C? Can you give instruction of how to do this because my "e" drive is bugging the crap out of me.

rishi_sanju

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
In my case was moving from one drive to another, mean other drive(original drive) had all the data. So, that was my backup. Also did use Acronis Disk Director to boot from CD and copy the file. Hope this helps.