Your question

DX10 Demo

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 11:59:49 PM

I would try it but i only have the g80 card and no vista :cry:  :D 

Dont want vista.
April 28, 2007 12:08:22 AM

Hmmm, I've not been in a rush to get Vista installed because of DX10.
Now maybe I have a reason to get angry that my free upgrade Vista has still not arrived.
Related resources
April 28, 2007 12:21:14 AM

Quote:
there aren't any free vista upgrades though, the upgrade coupon only gives you a discount

actually there are gateway and emachines dont charge for the upgrade when you bought a qualifying computer.
they messed up and instead of allowing me to get the home basic i got home premium.
April 28, 2007 12:28:30 AM

Actually when I bought my copy of XP pro back in Dec. it clearly stated that the upgrade was free inc. free shipping. The 3rd party company contracted by Microsoft then came back with this:

Quote:
Upgrade software Quantity Product price ex VAT Total Price Product
Windows Vista Business 32-bit DVD 1 0.00 0.00

Shipping and Handling CAD 27.64
Tax and Duties CAD 3.87
Total CAD 31.51

Then after several weeks they came back with a correction that the taxes would not be charged.

Actually I started a thread to see if anyone else was having the same run around but no one responded.
I had started a thread in the Vista forum to see if anyone else was having the same problems but no one responded.
April 28, 2007 12:30:03 AM

I am waiting till I can get Vista for $5.... MWAHAHAHA

Given I don't know which version it will be, but if it is at least home premium I will be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake. Course I will dual boot because Vista still has issues, but at least I will have DX10 (yes I know I need a DX10 card too... :wink:) 
April 28, 2007 12:40:05 AM

That FPS Creator looks absolutely terrible, ewwwww, but the shadow thingy is cool checked it out earlier today, bout time the got rid of the crappy DX9 blocky shadows.

I got Vista Ultimate today( for very cheap - $45 :) , not bragging about it being cheap, i just wouldnt pay the stupid price for it ), now just have to try and get my PC up and running again->dead, arrgghhhh
April 28, 2007 12:48:23 AM

Quote:
there aren't any free vista upgrades though, the upgrade coupon only gives you a discount

Sorry Taco, but at least according to the upgrade coupon I got with my XP64, the only cost I had was $12 for shipping to get the Vista upgrade. But like NO1sFanboy, I have not received the upgrade yet. I'm beginning to wonder if I ever will get the promised upgrade. If nothing happens within another week, I'm going to make some phone calls. If that gets me nowhere, I'll take it to out state's consumer's affairs division and let them slug it out with Microsoft.

Superfly- If and when I get the copy of Vista, I'll be putting it on a separate hard disc. Its a small hastle to manually reach down and dosconnet and reconnect the discs before starting the computer, but it makes sure nothing gets messed up. I plan on getting a DX10 card soon, so that's no trouble. I'm still waiting for the X2900XT to be officially benched before making a choice, but unless the official benches are faster then Dailytech released, it will be a 8800 GTX, unless a 8900 GTX comes out first.
April 28, 2007 1:05:55 AM

i, got that express upgrade thingy when i got my laptop... placed the order they said it would take 4-6 weeks, only took 3 and only cost 17dollars.
April 28, 2007 1:19:14 AM

Funny enough I received an e-mail from modus link since my last post. I had sent an e-mail which included a cust. ref #. and an order #. They replied asking yet again for my COA# off of my xp disc. This has twice already been provided to them. I suppose they are hoping I have lost it by now.

Sorry this is off topic.
April 28, 2007 1:36:05 AM

Am I the only one not impressed with dx10? Ok there are some visual benefits but imo it does not look like night and day compared to dx9 assuming a well written game and a powerful enough gpu to max the settings.
April 28, 2007 1:42:44 AM

Yeah. I am looking forward to R700/G90. I think I will probably get a X2900XT in the mean time as a hold over just so I can play halo 2/Crysis.
April 28, 2007 1:51:07 AM

Quote:
Am I the only one not impressed with dx10? Ok there are some visual benefits but imo it does not look like night and day compared to dx9 assuming a well written game and a powerful enough gpu to max the settings.

it will come into its own with the new geometry instancing where e.g. every tree model in gpu mem is the same but algorithms can be applied to the individual tree so to render a forest its all done in the GPU but every tree looks different, absolutely no CPU time required, and only a very very small GPU time required to render the delta on the tree model

This is what absolutely totally kills DX9, each tree must be rendered individually even if its just rotated and if different tree models are used every one must be completely rendered, forest scenes, crowd scenes should see a logarithmic improvement

Quote:
you're going to get the hd 2900xt even after seeing the benchmarks, either you really want to support ati, or you've lost it this time, though I could justify it compared to the gts

Tacos, those benchies on dailytech have been completely discounted by a few of the journalists at the Tunisia ATI event, even dailytech posted today that the XTX results are very likely not going to be the results when the XTX is released as they expect core and mem speed to have increased, also they've said the XT results are rough and to wait for the official Anandtech benchies and a few others to appear to be conclusive

I very much doubt the XT results will be as low as shown, i could be wrong of course, its just my opinion. I dont care which is better nvidia or ati, ill buy best price/performance card, but i think everyones on the ATI/AMD bashing bandwagon at the moment with no real proof of the XT/XTX performance
April 28, 2007 2:01:53 AM

Quote:
you're going to get the hd 2900xt even after seeing the benchmarks, either you really want to support ati, or you've lost it this time, though I could justify it compared to the gts

I am waiting to see end retail price and reliable benchmarks but it looks like a decent upgrade to my 7900GTX and it has DX10 so it can hold me over till mid 08 with the G90 and R700. Right now it looks promising... but the R600 debate is for another thread.

My 7900GTX holds up pretty well, it just starts to choke at 4xAA @ 16x12.
April 28, 2007 2:20:10 AM

8) find.
April 28, 2007 2:49:30 AM

Speaking of odd occurances. I just received an e-mail from modus saying that my order for Vista has just shipped. Makes me wonder if someone was watching these posts and decided to respond before a state attorney got involved. Ok, I don't really think that, just co-incidence, I guess.
April 28, 2007 2:54:04 AM

you have been at sail too long. :tongue:
April 28, 2007 2:55:38 AM

I agree coincidence but what a long shot.
April 28, 2007 3:00:10 AM

Quote:

I agree with Superfly about getting a 2900 XT if the price is right. It may not beat the 8800 GTX, but if its at least close to the 8800 GTS and is priced decently, than it may be a good buy.

Right now, my 1900 XTX Toxic is about done for and Sapphire isn't willing to fix it. The water pump makes screeching noises and acts like its going to lock up at any time, plus I get overheat warnings. So my choice is now between the 2900 XT or a 8800 GTS, or GTX if I'm feeling rich. All I can do is hope the 1900 can hold out for a few more weeks.
April 28, 2007 4:14:14 AM

I hope Wusy is right.

On my next card, I plan on going air. I don't think the Toxic cools the memory, and until I see and am convinced by a water cooler that does cool both the GPU and the memory, I'll stick with air.
April 28, 2007 5:22:36 AM

Quote:
I'm planning on getting an x1950xt myself. I may get a tide vga water cooler to go with it, but the block only covers the gpu, not the memory, so I think I'll stay with air on that for now

I think the r600xt will show itself in dx10, because even wusy agrees that it scales better, we can only wait for crysis at this point

go for the x1950pro if your going for that range,save your cash, and remember adding coolers etc. costs cash, better to spend as much as you can on the best gpu than spending cash buying a cheaper version and cooling it later, i learnt this from my x850 pro, spending 50 euro cooling it with a zalman cooler was great, but 50+what i spent on the card would have got me a more powerful card

You dont have to follow my advice im only giving you my experience
!