Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help powering my 8800 GTX, thank you in advance!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 28, 2007 12:24:57 AM

Hello everybody!

I will be purchasing a 8800 GTX sometime next week and I have been researching my PSU situation.

I currently own a 500W PSU, and from what I have read on the internet, that should be enough. The system will also include 2 DDR2 Dimms, C2D E6600, P5N-E SLI, 3 x Sata HDs, 1 CD/RW.

According to http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

367W is all I need to power the whole system, newegg says 450W is minimum, so 500W is enough.

This isnt another thread to see if my PSU can cut it, I have the following cabling problem and I need some help.

My situation is as follows. My PSU does not have the connector required to power the card, however, the eVGA card has two 2x 4-pin hard drive conectors to 1x vid card connection(dont know the names).

My PSU is modular.

I have one loose cable that is not being used, that takes care of one connector, but all the others are used. So my question is, what should I do?

1.) Buy a modular cable for the remaning power slot I have open. (Dont know where I can buy one, please help me here)
2.) Buy two Y cables so one 2x 4-pin cable can power on 3 HDs and an optical drive, thus freeing up another cable for the completion of the power. Dont know if thats a good idea though.
April 28, 2007 1:04:53 AM

can you give the name of the power supply or a link
Related resources
April 28, 2007 4:49:11 PM

Thanks, but I consulted with a representative from XFX and he recommended I just go for the PSU upgrade, that I might have stability issues attempting to use my current PSU with the ideas mentioned.

I will be getting this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I will be purchasing this because I inted to do an SLI in the future. Since I dont play any games right now that could possibly slow down the 8800 GTX, I dont really need an SLI. I will be playing at 1920x1200 so as soon as I find a game that can push this card to its limits, ill get a second one. I think Assasins Creed or Brothers in Arms Hells Highway will probably be the games.
April 28, 2007 5:56:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but I consulted with a representative from XFX and he recommended I just go for the PSU upgrade, that I might have stability issues attempting to use my current PSU with the ideas mentioned.

I will be getting this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I will be purchasing this because I inted to do an SLI in the future. Since I dont play any games right now that could possibly slow down the 8800 GTX, I dont really need an SLI. I will be playing at 1920x1200 so as soon as I find a game that can push this card to its limits, ill get a second one. I think Assasins Creed or Brothers in Arms Hells Highway will probably be the games.


That PSU will power anything you throw at it...I'm jealous now 8O
April 28, 2007 6:09:18 PM

:D 

This is the first time I ever buy a high end system so I am pumped up.

Heres what im getting;

E6600
P5N-E SLI
Crucial 2GB DDR-2 667
Antec P-180
Thermaltake 850W Modular PSU
Raptor 74GB x 2 in RAID 0
Caviar 500GB Storage
XFX 8800 GTX
BenQ FP241w
April 28, 2007 6:45:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but I consulted with a representative from XFX and he recommended I just go for the PSU upgrade, that I might have stability issues attempting to use my current PSU with the ideas mentioned.

I will be getting this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I will be purchasing this because I inted to do an SLI in the future. Since I dont play any games right now that could possibly slow down the 8800 GTX, I dont really need an SLI. I will be playing at 1920x1200 so as soon as I find a game that can push this card to its limits, ill get a second one. I think Assasins Creed or Brothers in Arms Hells Highway will probably be the games.


That's the psu that I am planning on for my next build. You made a good choice in my opinion.
April 28, 2007 6:45:26 PM

Quote:
:D 

This is the first time I ever buy a high end system so I am pumped up.

Heres what im getting;

E6600
P5N-E SLI
Crucial 2GB DDR-2 667
Antec P-180
Thermaltake 850W Modular PSU
Raptor 74GB x 2 in RAID 0
Caviar 500GB Storage
XFX 8800 GTX
BenQ FP241w


I would get some ddr2-800 memory instead and OC that e6600 to 3.6 ghz with an aftermarked cooler (9X400=3600mhz) for a 1:1 ratio with the memory. But that's just me :p 
April 28, 2007 6:47:54 PM

Problem with that is that I will have heat issues.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

Ive thought about OCing, but since I will be playing at 1920x1200, I dont really see any purpose to it. I just dont believe I will see anything other than a 5fps boost on most games, if that.
April 28, 2007 6:57:17 PM

Quote:
Problem with that is that I will have heat issues.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

Ive thought about OCing, but since I will be playing at 1920x1200, I dont really see any purpose to it. I just dont believe I will see anything other than a 5fps boost on most games, if that.


I remember that thread, and yes, you have heat issues. About the only way I know to handle the heat is either a very expensive water cooling setup or something like a Tuniq Tower. That said, you should have a plenty fast computer in the specs that you now show, probably faster than 90% of the people, including myself.
April 28, 2007 7:11:02 PM

Thats mostly my point, but to further illustrate, here are some benchmarks;

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_8800_gtx_gts_co...

This is a game I play alot, and as you can see, there is just no point to OCing.

Heres another game I play alot

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_8800_gtx_gts_am...

There is just no point in OCing at those resolutions;

However;

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_8800_gtx...
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_8800_gtx...

OCing the GPUs does show some tangible gains.

Is aftermarket cooling required for OCing the 8800s?

I still however agree that I should purchase DDR2-800. I definately wouldnt mind attempting to OC if my ambient temps allow for it.

What Cooler would you guys recommend for my CPU. Problem is im buying from Mwave.com and while they are better than newegg.com (atleast for me since im in PR), they dont seem to have a good selection of CPU Coolers.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA232...

Is that good enough?
April 28, 2007 7:36:34 PM

Quote:

What Cooler would you guys recommend for my CPU. Problem is im buying from Mwave.com and while they are better than newegg.com (atleast for me since im in PR), they dont seem to have a good selection of CPU Coolers.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA232...

Is that good enough?


I took a look at what's offered at the mwave site and I think the ASUS cooler, part #BA22723 would be a better cooler. It has two more heat pipes, more fin area, and is a bit cheaper as well.

If you overclock the 8800 cards , you could run into heat problems. In that case, mwave lists a vga cooler that is good, the Masscool VF1. If I get a 8800 GTX for my new build, I might be using one of these myself.
April 28, 2007 8:41:05 PM

Quote:
Problem with that is that I will have heat issues.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

Ive thought about OCing, but since I will be playing at 1920x1200, I dont really see any purpose to it. I just dont believe I will see anything other than a 5fps boost on most games, if that.


Not really, if you get a good aftermarket cooler, and you have good airflow in your case, your temps should be fine. You can always get ddr2-800 memory, lower it to 667 speeds, tighten the timings, for a 3 Ghz overclock at a 1:1 ratio. Therefore, in the future, if you want to OC to 3.2, it'd be easy for your memory :p 

I believe the tuniq tower is an excellent choice for a cpu cooler judging from all the posts I read about it.
April 28, 2007 9:41:39 PM

Well, Ill get the DDR-2 800 but I wont be able to get the Tuniq tower cause Mwave doesnt have it and Im not going to spend $50+ on shipping and taxes for a CPU Cooler. Thanks for the recommendation.

@Sailer

Ill look into it as an option, thanks for your recommendation.
!