wtf is up with my 8800gts 320mb

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
i think my 8800gts is like broke or being severely bottlenecked.im playing css all on low at a res of 1280x1024 and im getting 30fps at a texture map while in a group of a bunch of ppl and about 60 while looking at the ground.
idk if its overheating or something but its just like not seems to be working.
my system specs are a pentium d 820 at 3ghz
1 gig of ram
600 watt psu
coolermaster centurion 5

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
wow that is really messed up. check the power and see if it is in fact overheating. is your case properly ventilated? that really blows, gingerade. i hope we can help you get it worked out.

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
its pissing me off how do i monitor the temps and i got rivatune to turn the fan up and on 100 its mad loud.i only have 2 fans in my pc and a cpu fan cuz thats all that fits in the centurion 5 with a window. i dont know if its the case but rite now my idle temps like 69 with the fan speed on 75%

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
it seems like the front fans barley pushing any air into the case. im thinking about going to pick up another fan and id like to mount 1 on the side but i dont have a hole saw.what side hole saw would i need to mount a 80mm fan on the side window down my the video card.and should that fan blow in or suck out?

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
um, i'm not a master on the case, but did you put the fans in yourself or were they already installed? 2 fans MAY be enough for you... although i know that big fancy cards like yours do often need some help in keeping their cool :lol: . can you check and see that your fans are working together? ideally, one should pull in air, and the other should blow it back out the other side... its this air movement that really helps your temps.

was the 69 degrees the temp of your GPU or your proc? i'm guessing gpu, but you didn't specify. thats kinda warm, and that could mean that your case circulation isn't the best, but perhaps there is another causality for this trouble.

another thing that you can check in the mean time before you buy stuff is whether or not you have all the current drivers for your components.

...you aren't getting any error messages or anything, correct? i remember that when my friend's GPU wasn't getting enough power, it like yelled at him in windows, and he had an icon on his taskbar.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
hmmmh... yeah, i checked out your case, and your front fan could be causing you troubles. i mean, obviously the 120 mm > the 80mm, but it seems like (from the pictures), the airflow is restricted.

arrgh... see, i don't have a pretty case like yours, and i've done some... "mods"... to make it a lil cooler. for example, i took of my front bezel a bit to get my front fan a lil more air... and i set a pci fan (like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888602) in an empty drive bay to bring in a lil more air. only problem is, we aren't even 100% sure if the temps are your problem. i'd still suggest checking out all other possibilities before you start buying stuff you may not actually need, know what i'm saying?

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
yea.i only got the card 2 weeks ago about and it performing better then but now it seems to get worse. so i doubt its driver problem unless they updated them in 2 weeks.

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
heres some pics that i toook and u can see theres nothiing really blocking the fans.
pcpics016.jpg

pcpics017.jpg

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
wow yeah you're right. sleek looking build! it looks like you've done a really good job with wiring and such, so that is always nice for keeping airflow decent. but, you said that your 8800 was performing better in the past? thats odd. its not likely that a video card would randomly start overheating unless you really changed something like with arrangement in the computer... if temp were an issue, it would have been from the beginning. and if it was performing better earlier, than your PSU is less likely to be the problem... unless it is failing... which is hopefully not the case. i wouldn't worry about THAT too much at this point.

so, have you tried any other games, besides CSS? do you have like DM or actual HL2 or something that you could try out? or even something not source-based? perhaps your css just got messed up somehow, although unlikely.

MrSiko

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
What grpahics driver are you using, with version?

What card did your 8800GTS320 replace?

It is possible that your drivers messed up on either uninstalling the old ones/installing the new ones. Your best bet right now would be uninstall the driver thoroughly, then run this in safe mode, to get rid of all traces of the old driver :
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

then install the latest driver from nvidia :
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Let us know how you get on.

Plus it might help if you run 3DMark05 or 06 and let us know the results.

Hope it helps,
S!KO=

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
well when i got the card it wasnt running that great but yesterday when i made this thread it was really bad.it seems to get better now im gettin like 70fps all on medium in css. i had a 6600 before so im going to do the driver cleaner and ill let u know if it made a diff

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
well i reinstalled the driver and it didnt make that much of a diff im going to go to the store get some dvd-rs and then burn all the stuff i need(music/pics/movies) ONTO the dvds then just take windows off and start from scratch and only put aim and css on it since its only game i play.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
dude, i have an ancient vid card and a terrible system and i play on all high... you should be on all high with great framerates and a nice resolution. something is really not right. so its never performed THAT well, then? perhaps you got a bad one...? is RMA an option for you, by any chance?

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
well im burning my important files to dvd rite now so hopefully after i get windows xp media back on here it will be better.ill let u know in a little while

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
arright, sweet. i wish you luck in your re-install.

i always love a fresh installation of windows, it always seems so zippy and fresh and stuff... then i reload all my programs and its back to slow-as-balls like old times :lol:

anyway, again, i wish you luck. hopefully that will help. and the fact that you are gaming in XP does answer one of my questions, i was wondering if maybe vista was giving you some problems. (obviously its not)