Realtek ALC888 on GA-965P-DS3/S3 -- no sound

xoid

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
In the 'Sound and Audio Devices' section of the control panel it says 'No Audio Device'. I've installed the drivers from Gigabyte's CD and... nothing. No sound whatsoever. Before I go crazy on stuffing around with BIOS updates, driver updates and the like, I was wondering if anyone hasan idea about the root cause of this?

If not, what's the best course of action? I was thinking of something like this:
1. Install Gigabyte's ALC888 drivers
2. Try Realtek drivers
3. Try a BIOS update
4. Re-install Gigabyte's ALC888 drivers on the newly updated BIOS
...any suggestions?

ExTechie

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2007
I'm having some problems with the same MB, but it is just that my front audio ports are not working. My suggestion would be to get the latest drivers from Realtek. They've been changing versions pretty fast. They are now at version 1.66, with a date of 4/27. Question did you run the Intel Inf file after you installed your OS? Oh, what OS are your running?
I've got XP Pro, I understand there are alot of problems with the realtek drivers and Vista. I've been doing searches for a solution to my problem and people keep mentioning problems they are experiencing with realtek and Vista.

Hope this helps.

Tom

cagdeoro

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
i got the same problem with this realtek alc888. i finally make it worked by reinstalling my windows and right after installation, the first thing i did was load the drivers for this realtek alc888, i downloaded v1.84 from realtek site. this thing doesnt seem to like 2nd in line in installing drivers, so i load it first. i then install the rest of the drivers and things are then fine. realtek should make a fix on this.

weilin

Distinguished
OK,

Common- make sure onboard audio is enabled in bios. make sure front panel audio is connected properly to the board (take note as to whether u have HD front panel jacks or AC97 jacks). Bios flash may help.

Vista, download ftp://202.65.194.212/pc/audio/Vista_R184.exe , This is revision 1.84 of the driver and intall. follow on screen instructions.

XP, download ftp://202.65.194.212/pc/audio/WDM_R184.exe , this is XP equivalent of revision 1.84. Follow on screen instructions. Program may install Microsoft HD audio patch first. This is normal. If new prompt comes up concerning hardware detected, ignore it (hit cancel) and have the installer dictate drivers.

Post setup, if you have HD front panel jacks, this doesn't apply to you. Else, if you have AC97 Jacks go into realtek HD audio manager and:

In vista, on the right you should see audio ports on the right and a little folder above them. click the folder and select "disable front panel jack detection"

In XP, look around the tabs until you find one where it shows audio jacks (somewhere on the right) and above them is a little yellow folder. click on that and select "disable front panel jack detection"

Audio should work if it's not broken.

kevishto

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
Are you using a Windows xp SP3 cd? If So, consider installing a windows Sp2 version first and then installing sp3 separately after you have installed the audio drivers. I Have tried to install realtek audio on 3 different machines with an slipstreamed sp3 cd and it just doesnt work. There have been numerous threads online about realtek audio and sp3. I hope this helps.