Cannot read HDD temperature ... Help !

waltereo

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Hi,

I tried to monitor my HDD temperature but all software I tried cannot get that information.
One of the software I tried complain that no HDD have the SMART technology.
I thought that all recent HDD have that technology ??

My E521 is recent, Feb 2007, the oroginal HDD is a Seagate 7200.9, 160GB.

The software I tried : Speedfan, HDD Thermometer, HDTemp, HDD Health and none is able to have the temp of the HDD !??!

Is something wrong ?

Thanks

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Did you enable SMART monitoring in the BIOS?

If not, that could be a problem.

Also, hard drive temps aren't the biggest cause for concern, as long as they are between 30-48c (give or take) you are fine. Google did a study and found that temps in that range weren't prone to increased failure rate.

Linkage, Page 6

So it is nice to monitor your HDD temps, but if you have even moderate air flow it shouldn't be an issue.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
OOOOOO that is your problem. Damn Dell mobo's are proprietary and aren't quite standard. You aren't going to get a whole lot of information extracted from that mobo, it doesn't want to give it up. Dell's (and other prebuilt PC's with proprietary parts) are infamous for not allowing you to do alot of things, which is the price you pay for having someone build it for you. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the hard drive temps, though it really would be nice to monitor them.

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
If you are really worried, get a front panel device with temp probes. I infrequently monitor my HDD with my coolpanel. It's not worth stressing over though.