Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
Hi, Apologies if this has been covered elswhere but I could not find anything difinitive.

Basically I am about to purchase a new lappy which comes with Home premium installed (32bit version) but will probably install XP onto it until things improve with Vista. It will have a core2duo CPU I would like to take advantage of its 64bit capability but dont know if I can upgrade from the 32 to 64 bit OS or if I will need to buy a new version of said OS.

So if I buy/use Vista HomePrem 32bit can I update to 64bit via a cheap upgrade or large patch etc?

Many thanks for your help :)

Solution
Hi, Apologies if this has been covered elswhere but I could not find anything difinitive.

Basically I am about to purchase a new lappy which comes with Home premium installed (32bit version) but will probably install XP onto it until things improve with Vista. It will have a core2duo CPU I would like to take advantage of its 64bit capability but dont know if I can upgrade from the 32 to 64 bit OS or if I will need to buy a new version of said OS.

So if I buy/use Vista HomePrem 32bit can I update to 64bit via a cheap upgrade or large patch etc?

You need to contact the manufacturer of the notebook. If you buy a retail copy of Vista, MS will send you a free (but wait! there is S&H) copy of 64-bit Vista.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005

You need to contact the manufacturer of the notebook. If you buy a retail copy of Vista, MS will send you a free (but wait! there is S&H) copy of 64-bit Vista.

Solution