9800 Pro fan will not come on

untrob22

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Hi, I am having a huge issue with my video card. Recently my computer began locking up and I realized something was very wrong, so I checked my video card and noticed the fan wasn't turning on, so I immediatly removed the card. Can someone give me advice one what to do next? the fan doesn't have anything blocking it, when the computer first starts it flicks for a split second then does nothing. I put a 6600 gt into the computer and am having no issues with it, but I would really like to get the 9800 pro working again. Is the card simply trash or some complex fix or can a part be easily replaced to resolve this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I removed the fan and put WD40 onto the bearing when mine started to fail. Didn't do much though; 6 months later it just shat itself (the fan, not the card). The card is passively cooled now; it's so old I'm not even going to bother doing anything.

Isn't the 6600GT faster than the 9800Pro?

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Well if you are only into light gaming it is still a pretty usable card. Might be worth having a look online to see if you can grab one of the coolers from Artic Cooling. They certainly had one or two that fitted the 9800 and you might find one cheap.

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Hi, I am having a huge issue with my video card. Recently my computer began locking up and I realized something was very wrong, so I checked my video card and noticed the fan wasn't turning on, so I immediatly removed the card. Can someone give me advice one what to do next? the fan doesn't have anything blocking it, when the computer first starts it flicks for a split second then does nothing. I put a 6600 gt into the computer and am having no issues with it, but I would really like to get the 9800 pro working again. Is the card simply trash or some complex fix or can a part be easily replaced to resolve this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Same thing happened with my 9800 pro's cooler, so I bought this for it:
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=41

$22 and it's been running fine for around 4 months. Though I'm not going to say it cools the card efficiently or not because I can't seem to find a program that will show me the temperatures of the card...but just from feeling it, it feels pretty cool.

TRENDING THREADS