using an extra computer as a firewall/router?

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
I have an extra pc that isnt being used(amd3800/2gig) and I recently set it up as a dns server using the trial version of simpledns, this really improved internet loading times. I started doing some research and found out about Smoothwall and IPcop and how you can use an extra PC and a few NICs as a high performance router/firewall/ dns server. I have a simple home network which consists of a fast 25down/5up cable connection, Dlink DI-634 router, Vonage VOIP box, 2 wired PCs and one wireless laptop. I was thinking I could setup Smoothwall on the extra PC and use the Dlink as an AP for my laptop. Would this improve my overall network performance? Im mainly interested in improved performance for P2P and internet surfing as well as QOS for my VOIP and a better firewall. So what do ou guys think?? Will Smoothwall on a AMD3800 perform better then my Dlink DI634 which is a very god performer??
thanks
Frank

HenrikG

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2005
I commend your enthusiasm and hope that if you do give it a shot... that it works wonders.

My personal opinion is:
Hardware/firmware will always be faster, more reliable and stable than PC/software. Sure if you use a PC to run some services you might see some improvements... but... in my opinion it isn't worth it.

My brother-in-law messed around with that a while back on a linux box and he enjoyed "tinkering" with it. Let's face it, it can be fun. However, he's currently not using it anymore.