jcenters

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
I'm about to upgrade my PC, and I'm wondering if my Enermax Noisetaker will be enough to power it without problems? I've already used the PSU calculator mentioned in the 101 thread, and it says I'm more than okay, but I want to make absolutely sure.

Here's the specs I'm looking at:

nForce 650i
Intel Core2Duo E6420
GeForce 7600GT 256MB
1 gig DDR2 800 (G.Skill CAS 4 if that makes any difference)

To which I'm adding:
1 7200 RPM ATA drive
1 5400 RPM ATA drive
1 ATA DVD burner
5 80mm fans, one with 2 LEDS
2 LEDS besides those

The Noisetaker outputs 370w, with 18A on each 12v rail. It's almost exactly two years old, though I didn't power it on for all of last summer. More info here if you need it:http://www.enermax.com.tw/english/product_Display1.asp?PrID=18

I'm not doing anything fancy like overclocking just yet. Over the next few months, I plan to add another gig of RAM, upgrade the PSU, and get a DX10 GPU.

Also, as a side question, how well/long will this build hold up, in terms of upgradability?

While the Enermax Noisetaker can provide 18 amps peak on each of the 12v rails, it can only provide a max of 27 amps. If one 12v rail is providing 18 amps, the other can only provide a max of 9 amps.

The PSU will be fine, I calculate the max power consumption on the 12v rails as follows:

C2D E6420 @stock speed.......................50w CPU Power Consumption Chart *
7600GT @stock speed...........................35w GPU Power Consumption Chart
2 Hard Drives.......................................24w
1 DVD Burner.......................................12w
5 80mm Fans.......................................20w
Stock CPU Fan......................................5w

Total max 12v rail power consumption.....146w
Total max 12v rail amp consumption........12.2a

That leaves about 14.8a left on the 12v rails, or about 176w. It's usually a good idea not to max out the 12v rails for a name brand PSU. The absolute maximum load you should place on it should not exceed 90% (75% - 80% for a generic PSU at most). In this case, it should not be more than 24 amps.

You got plenty of leftover power to overclock your CPU & GPU.

* The only real difference between the E6400 and the E6420 is the extra 2MB of cache. Technically they should both consume about the same amount of power. If you look that the chart XBitLabs.com measured 50w for the E6400 and only 52w for the more powerful E6600 CPU.

jcenters

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Thanks for the informative and helpful replies. This has been a fantastic, rock solid PSU, and it's good to know that it's got plenty of use left in it.

However, thanks to this forum, I discovered the awesome buy.com deal on the Corsair 520w. $70 shipped after MiR and the Google Checkout discount. But I'll put the Enermax to good use in my gf's "new" WoW box.