resolve for LAN bandwidth?

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
I am enquirying about our home network's bandwidth "problem". My question lies within the possibility of having two network cards installed on one pc; could I make one dedicated for lan connection and the other for internet, both running on the same switch?

if not. Are there other ways of boosting performance and filetransfers (i.e. usb/firewire direct connections between two main pcs only)

The senario is two powerful mainly used computers and another two less frequently used computers and at some stage a server to come.

in gratitute, mopeygoth

Northwood I - 2.4Ghz - 1024mb pc-133 w. TT A1165 - Ati Radeon 9700@381mhz 128Mb@620mhz - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
It's entirely possible to dedicate one NIC to internet and one to intranet. Use the ROUTE command in a dos prompt and set the internal use nic to only accept the internal network.
However, I assume that the two nics are on different networks already and then this will automatically happen as long as the internet NIC has a gateway set that doesn't know about the internal network (highly probable) and that the internal net has either no gateway or its gateway does not know the route to the internet.

Dev

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
Thnx a lot Dev. I worked it out actually.. The "set up a home network wizard" actually worked in winxp, highly unexpectable from microsoft. Now I have a zillion of choices. The two of interest were on scenario where 1. NIC was the sole connection to the internet and the other reserved for LAN traffic, it worked ;). Right now I am trying to figure out what it does to have the two NICs bridged as one connection as one IP. So far I have acually experienced faster internet, did not have the time to check the network today, as I have been building the server ;)

thnx again!

Northwood I - 2.4Ghz - 1024mb pc-133 w. TT A1165 - Ati Radeon 9700@381mhz 128Mb@620mhz - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b