ATI - 3Dfx delay disaster ???

rudinho

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
We were waiting for ATI new GPU line 6 months, when it comes out it can't compete with the NV top model. HD 29000XT beats NV 8800GTS and is supposed to be cheaper, this is good but after 6 moths i would expect something more than a 12% boost over 8800 GTS. I think that ATI missed a production cycle, that was the case of 3Dfx who tried to catch up Riva TNT and when they did, Nv released GF 256...
I hope that the R650 chip will be on top when it's launched. NV 8800 Ultra is a OC 8800GTX, nothing new but they can be well working on a 8900 or maybe a new 9000 series...
Personally a 3rd 3D competitor would be the best solution

nicolasb

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
was the case of 3Dfx who tried to catch up Riva TNT and when they did, Nv released GF 256...
I hope that the R650 chip will be on top when it's launched. NV 8800 Ultra is a OC 8800GTX, nothing new but they can be well working on a 8900 or maybe a new 9000 series...
Personally a 3rd 3D competitor would be the best solution
The 3dfx Voodoo 2 completely slaughtered the Riva TNT despite coming out earlier. Voodoo 2 SLI majorly out-performed even TNT2 despite coming out a lot earlier. And the original GeForce 256 was a disaster because Nvidia aimed for a 200MHz clock speed but ballsed up the design so badly it ending up shipping at only 120MHz. So, all in all, that's rather a weird comparison. Citing Voodoo 5 vs GeForce 2 would make a bit more sense.

rudinho

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
GF 256 was the begining of 3Dfx trouble, when Voodoo 5000 hit the market Nv got GF 3 that outperfomed V5000

BTW I still have a Voodoo 3000 :D

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
idk about those older cards, as i wasn't old enough to be into tech then, but i don't think the situation is that bad currently. the GPU market has slowed down quite a bit recently, after the geforce 7-series and all the radeon x1000s and stuff... i feel that this is because both makers are moving towards dx10. as dx10 calms down (i.e. FINALLY COMES OUT IN ENOUGH GAMES), the market will also calm down, and we'll see some more speedy card rollouts like last year and the year before that.

ATi's flagship may in fact lose at dx9, but i'm not really worried at this point. there's still time. nothing is decided yet. for example, what if the HD2900xt pwns at dx10, what its really designed for? what if ATi's midrange cleans the floor against such loser cards as the 8600? i really see ATi doing well in the midrange this time around, as the 8600 is kind of a letdown.

anyway, as much as i'd love a third competitor, i really don't see one just popping up out of nowhere. it would be nice for prices and choices, but its just not how the market is today.

rudinho

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
idk about those older cards, as i wasn't old enough to be into tech then, but i don't think the situation is that bad currently. the GPU market has slowed down quite a bit recently, after the geforce 7-series and all the radeon x1000s and stuff... i feel that this is because both makers are moving towards dx10. as dx10 calms down (i.e. FINALLY COMES OUT IN ENOUGH GAMES), the market will also calm down, and we'll see some more speedy card rollouts like last year and the year before that.

But this keeps high prices...

ATi's flagship may in fact lose at dx9, but i'm not really worried at this point. there's still time. nothing is decided yet. for example, what if the HD2900xt pwns at dx10, what its really designed for? what if ATi's midrange cleans the floor against such loser cards as the 8600? i really see ATi doing well in the midrange this time around, as the 8600 is kind of a letdown.

Nvidia takes advantage that ATI has no Dx10 compliant mid range cards, 8600 GTS is as fast as 7900GTX this is not bad but it's not like comparing 6600gt and 7600GT where we had a real boost in performance. BTW i doubt ATI HD 2600 will really ROCK beacause just like Nvidia they will be 128 Bits The only hope is 8600 Ultra that should be 256 bits but then it may be to close in price range to 8800GTS which i s far better performer.

anyway, as much as i'd love a third competitor, i really don't see one just popping up out of nowhere. it would be nice for prices and choices, but its just not how the market is today.

Well VIA S3 graphics are low power GPU for mobile or Small form factor PC ( DTX), S27 lacks in raw power to compete with ATI and NV. They could put something really good, they have money and the technology.

8600 GTS is as fast as 7900GTX this is not bad but it's not like comparing 6600gt and 7600GT where we had a real boost in performance. BTW i doubt ATI HD 2600 will really ROCK beacause just like Nvidia they will be 128 Bits
What makes you think the 86 gts is as fast as the 79gtx? http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_8600_gts_preview/page7.asp It barely competes with both the 1900pro and the 7950gt. And who gave you the final rundown on the 2600? I peronally think the 128 bit is too small as well, but to say that because of that it wont be as good, you can go back a gen or so, and find 128 bit.

Nvidia takes advantage that ATI has no Dx10 compliant mid range cards, 8600 GTS is as fast as 7900GTX

This quote alone shows you don't know what you're talking about so no one should bother taking anything you say seriously.

The GF8600GTS is barely in the GF7900GS/X1950Pro performance level not the GF7900GTX, except in 3Dmark.

The only hope is 8600 Ultra that should be 256 bits but then it may be to close in price range to 8800GTS which i s far better performer.

Considering there is no G8600Ultra currently or nearby either, the GF8600GTS-320 fills that market segment, and the GF8600GTS sits as overpriced compared to all the options. No GF8800GS coming either according to nV in case you go with the next expired rumour.

Well VIA S3 graphics are low power GPU for mobile or Small form factor PC ( DTX), S27 lacks in raw power to compete with ATI and NV. They could put something really good, they have money and the technology.

S3 and SIS have no interest in the high end, which is where you get your BS 3Dfx stuff.

Here's S3's roadmap;

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/606/6d1eqn8m1897nf2cg7.jpg

And none of it is targeted at the high end, so it's just the fleshy middle that has another competitor and thus, less profits to waste on the high-end.