Sign in with
Your question

Second SATA drive seen in bios but not in XP

Last response: in Storage
April 28, 2007 1:49:57 PM

Recently built c2d system with single Sata (Seagate 7200.10 250 gb) hd. Has run like the wind since day 1.

Today added second HD (second drive identical to primary) and it is seen in bios in SATA secondary position, but when windows xp (sp2 all updates) loaded it said found new hardware, but in My Computer it still only has one disk drive.

In device manager it lists two disk drives, both in position 0 but one in Primary ATA channel and the other in secondary ATA channel.

Any thoughts on why I can't see the drive in My Computer. BTW it will just be used as storage.

More about : sata drive bios

April 28, 2007 3:10:59 PM

Quote:
Recently built c2d system with single Sata (Seagate 7200.10 250 gb) hd. Has run like the wind since day 1.

Today added second HD (second drive identical to primary) and it is seen in bios in SATA secondary position, but when windows xp (sp2 all updates) loaded it said found new hardware, but in My Computer it still only has one disk drive.

In device manager it lists two disk drives, both in position 0 but one in Primary ATA channel and the other in secondary ATA channel.

Any thoughts on why I can't see the drive in My Computer. BTW it will just be used as storage.

You have to initialize it in the disc management console.
a c 160 G Storage
April 28, 2007 3:42:56 PM

hit start => run and paste this

"diskmgmt.msc" without the quotes

you will get welcome to the initialize wizard then u can format and enjoy the new drive.
Related resources
April 28, 2007 4:40:33 PM

i had the same problem after switching my disks to a raid 0 and then adding 1 750 gb for storage.it didnt recongnize the 750 until i formatted it with the seagate sea tools .
April 28, 2007 5:31:14 PM

Thanks guys. I had added drives in the past and never had to do that but it worked like a charm.
April 28, 2007 8:55:08 PM

Quote:
i had the same problem after switching my disks to a raid 0 and then adding 1 750 gb for storage.it didnt recongnize the 750 until i formatted it with the seagate sea tools .

Well, if you had used the disk management console in XP, you'd been able to do just the same to initialize and format the drive.
!