Sign in with
Your question

Can't go further then 2.45Ghz with E6400

Last response: in Overclocking
April 28, 2007 2:38:57 PM

Hi, i'm new here so Grtz to everyone.

I have bought an E6400 some time ago and I always wanted to overclock it, but i didn't need it at the time.
Time has come since i wan't to run some heavier applications.
This is also the first time i've overclocked anything.

I went out and bought XMS2 PC6400 5-5-5-15 Corsair memory modules
fitted them and went to work.

Without changing the voltage of CPU/RAM/NB/SB i can just reach a FSB of 1220Hz with the memory at 305Hz to keep a 1:1 ratio. beyond that i get a
"cpu or voltage error" message.

now there a people who can reach FSB speed up to +-1400 with stock cooling and without having to change the voltages.

When i change the voltage to medium ranges
CPU: 1.4V
RAM: 2.0V - 2.1V
Northbridge 1.6V
and leave the FSB at 1220 and memory at 305 everything works fine,
so i don't think there is a voltage problem.

Then when I try to go higher on the FSB/memory with steps of 10hz,
at 1230 it fails again.

I don't understand where i'm going wrong.
You guys as well as I have seen Conroe E6400's that go like way beyond what i'm getting. :) 

Does the power supply have a big factor in all this?
I've done a memory test, ran prime95 and everest on the applied settings. and everything looked fine.

I'm new at this so thx for reading when the mistake might be clear to a pro

More about : 45ghz e6400

April 28, 2007 3:13:55 PM

what mobo?

Can you run 400Mhz memory speed at normal (non-oc) speed ?

Is your northbridge passively cooled? my DS3 gets too hot to touch at 400Mhz without a fan pointing at it...

It is rare that power supply has much effect, even at 3+Ghz its barely at 100W, unless you also have an 8800gtx :) 
April 28, 2007 3:27:14 PM

It's an Asus P5N32 SLI SE DELUXE with nForce4 chipset (could this be the reason?) The northbridge is passively cooled

non oc, the memory runs at it's full speed without errors.

Might edit first post:
everything is being cooled by 3 x 12 cm fans in an Antec P180
cpu and mobo temperature (at oc speed) are between 29° to 31° idle, and at stressing 51°

Related resources
April 28, 2007 4:36:44 PM

I've read the C2D oc tutorial.

But since i can't boot with the default FSB (333mhz) ....

Does anyone done an OC with the nForce4 chipsets and had bad results?
Tomorrow i'll upload a picture with cpuz/orthos/cputemp info. maybe that will help figure out what the problem is.

What also noticed me is that in the BIOS the temperature of the system is much lower than shown in core temp?
I'll try to update to BIOS first.

I need help , I didn't pay money for better memory modules when the cpu increase is only -10% :D 
April 28, 2007 4:38:16 PM

I have an Abit that its northbridge is passively cooled and pushed all my voltages above that, can't be shure bout the speeds though, but I had no problem with the northbridge overheating.
April 28, 2007 6:58:58 PM

Set PCIe to 100, PCI to 33.33.
April 29, 2007 11:38:26 AM

PCIe is at 100, and PCI is not available.
April 29, 2007 12:27:56 PM

Try to set ram speed in BIOS to [BY SPD] with 1:1 ratio. Leave all voltages at stock and try upping the FSB by 10 from 266. If this doesn't work try using the overclocking settings provided in bios. There is one option (if memory serves me right AI NOS) that lets You overclock dynamically in windows.
April 29, 2007 1:12:07 PM

oops, nevermind, I thought you said 3.5 but yoy said 2.5, hmmmm
April 29, 2007 1:45:19 PM

I'm trying to flash the bios to a newer version.
This version should provide better support for 800Mhz memory modules

But the damned Awdflash util is a pain in the ass.
I tried Aflash aswell but i get a "bios hook not available!" error....?
Does anyone know a descent flash util.

Quote:
set ram speed in BIOS to [BY SPD]

What does this mean, the one 1:1 ratio that has to be correct?
April 29, 2007 2:12:00 PM

the 1:1 ratio is the FSB to mem.

The 'by SPD' setting can be found in the 'chipset' setting with the detailed memory timings (check Your user manual).

Flash the bios from windows using Asus Update. It is a lot easier.
April 29, 2007 3:04:22 PM

nForce 4 chipsets are not good at overclocking, you may be potentially hitting an fsb wall with that motherboard.
April 29, 2007 4:04:54 PM

Quote:
the 1:1 ratio is the FSB to mem.

The 'by SPD' setting can be found in the 'chipset' setting with the detailed memory timings (check Your user manual).

Flash the bios from windows using Asus Update. It is a lot easier.

Thx, that did it pretty smoot and easy.
After the Bios update, i was able to pull it up to 2.6

Still i don't know what you mean by SPD settings?
Do you mean changing the latency's of memory modules?

Quote:
nForce 4 chipsets are not good at overclocking, you may be potentially hitting an fsb wall with that motherboard

I hope that's not the case otherwise i'm gonna have to invest in another motherboard or cpu. (wich I can't :)  )

I'm gone read the Conroe OC guide again and see what happens.

If my ISP wouldn't be inconveniently unavailable with webspace from time to time, I would have been able to post some pics of my system, because i would like some feedback about stability.

Since i need the processing power and I want to pull it at minimum of 2.8, and forever keep it at that for use of 4 to 5 hours a day, I would not want to ruin the processor.

Are the only two factors you need to watch heat and voltage?
And is it only "good cooling=good stability", or do you need one of the better/best power supply's ?
April 29, 2007 4:28:01 PM

Yes the SPD setting is in regard to memory timings - do not set them Yourself choose [by SPD] or [AUTO]. That may free up some room for a higher OC.

I am running a e6300 @ 2,8 GHz with an udervolt to 1.29 on a cheap Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 + and haven't experienced any CPU stability issues whatsoever. You should top that easily because I run the fan at just a bit over 1000 RPM (the max is 2500) just to keep it silent.

Keep us posted and good luck
April 29, 2007 5:08:07 PM

I kept the memory setting at auto which is 5-5-5-15
so setting them by SPD means that they need to be at manufacturer settings?
And by changing to like 4-4-4-12 is overclocking and unstable?

When I applied the settings of de Conroe guide.... :? :(  (it is verry good guide, respect)
at 2.6ghz I set the voltages of the guide, killed everything to releave NB, and started at 5Hz at a time
so from 325 x 8 to 330 x 8, at the new speed it booted, but when i wanted to run Orthos, the moment i clicked "start", everything frooze :)  :? (music was playing, and stopped doing so at the moment, so it was not the explorer)

When I killed the power, and restarted it didn't post at all. (tried several times but still nothing)
I waited for 15 minutes, started up, only able to go in setup, and so I set the voltages back to normal and the fsb to 325.
So it probably was a heat problem....Northbridge?

Everything runs now with idle temps at 41° and load at 47°

I think the nForce4 chipset has got me stuck :?
There is an option to pull the speed of SB and NB from 800Mhz to 1Ghz
Would this do anything?
(I would try allot to get it at better performances but do not want to destroy/damage anything)
April 29, 2007 5:13:13 PM

Leave the mem at default settings - mem timings are not that important for the C2D and are more that offset by the increase in bandwidth (speed).

That freeze reminded me of the ones I got before upping the northbrighde voltage. Try doing that. I have a different NB so I can't be of any help here. Try looking up speciffic forums for Your motherboard.
April 29, 2007 6:12:59 PM

I found some info on the asus forum with people having the P5N32 SLIS SE DELUXE, all saying that when it comes to overclocking, this thing is a real sun of a beech :) . same for search on google discussiongroups, all saying it is not good at OC and the reason is Asus not making a proper BIOS for it.
extremeovercloking.com says nForce chipsets are as bad as VIA and SIS when it comes to OC.

There is a guy who has the E6600 and the same mobo with PC6400 memory, and can max it at 2.93 without failing or instability.

his voltages are for CPU 1.375 and northbridge 1.4
if I set those, I can't go further with the FSB.

And if I set the northbridge to 1.5 (which showes a red indication when i do this) i get the freeze.

So I think I have to settle wit 2.62Ghz :cry: 

So far my first OC, thx to this place I got verry good info and the best results. I guess I'm gonna have to start a financial plan for the Q6600 & descent mobo :) 

Question: If this is not a good mobo for overclocking, should I even do an OC on it? (don't want it to let it go to waste after 2 months, or less :?.
I'm running some Virtual Machines on it)

Edit: as i posted this and started up VMware with 1 of the 2 VM's that i need, i got the freeze again :? I pulled it back to 2.6Ghz, hopefully without failure.
April 29, 2007 6:32:55 PM

Sorry to hear that ... 2.6 is a rather mild oc for a C2D. Hope everything else goes according to plan.
April 29, 2007 6:57:46 PM

Hi mate

Asus P5N32 SLI SE DELUXE had many problems with the early versions of Bios because Vcore wasn't stable at full load and it had a huge drop down that
made the CPU very unstable. Many of these issues fixed with later Bios versions but i don't know if it is working ok until now.
April 29, 2007 9:47:34 PM

Quote:
I found some info on the asus forum with people having the P5N32 SLIS SE DELUXE, all saying that when it comes to overclocking, this thing is a real sun of a beech :) . same for search on google discussiongroups, all saying it is not good at OC and the reason is Asus not making a proper BIOS for it.
extremeovercloking.com says nForce chipsets are as bad as VIA and SIS when it comes to OC.

There is a guy who has the E6600 and the same mobo with PC6400 memory, and can max it at 2.93 without failing or instability.

his voltages are for CPU 1.375 and northbridge 1.4
if I set those, I can't go further with the FSB.

And if I set the northbridge to 1.5 (which showes a red indication when i do this) i get the freeze.

So I think I have to settle wit 2.62Ghz :cry: 

So far my first OC, thx to this place I got verry good info and the best results. I guess I'm gonna have to start a financial plan for the Q6600 & descent mobo :) 

Question: If this is not a good mobo for overclocking, should I even do an OC on it? (don't want it to let it go to waste after 2 months, or less :?.
I'm running some Virtual Machines on it)

Edit: as i posted this and started up VMware with 1 of the 2 VM's that i need, i got the freeze again :? I pulled it back to 2.6Ghz, hopefully without failure.

Its not a bad overclocker as in it hurts your hardware, what i mean is that it has a very low fsb wall, so where as many current Intel 965 and 975 chipsets, and Nvidia 680i/650i chipsets are all hitting 400-500mhz on the fsb, the nForce 4, as you have figured out can't, can't hit 350mhz even.
April 30, 2007 10:14:53 AM

It goes from bad to worse, at 2.6Ghz, when playing BF2142, out of nowhere.....blue screen :?.

I pulled it back to 2.5 and hope it stays stable.

I think the blue screen showed something about the memory, a paging fault of some sort.

I think it's the northbridge not communicating good with the memory.
And since the BIOS 0704 update mentioned "improves support for 800Mhz memory", my suspicion is getting bigger.

Quote:
what i mean is that it has a very low fsb wall

Is this a fysical limitation of the bus?

Wright now it runs on following
Cpu: 2.5Ghz
FSB & DRAM (1:1): 312.5
And if what Cpu-z tells me the timings for my memory 5-4-4-15 ? (auto setting, not SPD setting) Is this the reason why I had a blue screen?

Should they be 5-5-5-15 in order to run best? As in the SPD setting?
Do timings relate to speed?
For example 5-4-4-15 for 312.5 mhz and 5-5-5-15 for 400mhz?
I don't know much about oc'ing, let alone how timings of memory modules work. Help is much appreciated.
April 30, 2007 3:41:27 PM

Yeah it appears as though you didn't stress test your system to see if it was 100% stable at 2.6Ghz. You need to download Prime 95 and make sure you've loaded both cores so you make sure it is stable. Otherwise you will get BSOD's like you've said.

The fsb wall that i was referring to is a chipset limitation. The nForce 4 is just not very good running at higher fsb speeds.

Try setting your memory timings to 5-5-5-12. For memory timings, lower is better. Your memory is rated at DDR2-800(400mhz) 5-5-5-12, at DDR2-667 it should be able to run 4-4-4-12 timings but just to make sure for stability set them to 5-5-5-12. Timings are completely separate from speed.
May 2, 2007 12:11:54 PM

Thx for the info.
After stress testing with ortos for one hour it runs smooth on 2.6Ghz.
Guess i'll have to settle with the speed.
Thx for all guys.

Grtz
May 2, 2007 12:31:35 PM

Is your memory linked to your bus? Meaning when you hit that 1220 FSB your memory is also 1220Mhz, which means your fortunate if it boots at all.

If you can unlink the mem from the fsb.

That way you can keep pushing your fsb up to new heights and not effect your memory threshold. Meaning your fsb will go 1220+ and your mem will stay at 800Mhz or whatever is its max performance stable speed independent of your fsb.

Don't know if your motherboard can do that though, its a bios feature.
May 2, 2007 1:33:14 PM

I have to edit, it runs at 2.52Ghz with an FSB of 315Mhz and RAM also at 315

Quote:
Is your memory linked to your bus? Meaning when you hit that 1220 FSB your memory is also 1220Mhz, which means your fortunate if it boots at all.

That way you can keep pushing your fsb up to new heights and not effect your memory threshold. Meaning your fsb will go 1220+ and your mem will stay at 800Mhz or whatever is its max performance stable speed independent of your fsb.

If you wan't to keep FSB:RAM 1:1 it has to run on same speed though?
or can you do something like 2:1 with good stability?

(I called my ISP about my webspace access. When I'll be able to upload the images I can show what's going on)
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
May 2, 2007 1:34:52 PM

Quote:

I think the nForce4 chipset has got me stuck :?

I think you are correct. You could get a new MB and try to reclaim some $$ by selling it or just settle with your current OC. If you can not vouch for the extra expense just deal with the current overclock. It's a core2, it's a good chip, you just aren't overclocking it to the potential. I'd say you can get to about 2.8 or 3GHZ maybe with stock cooling. It all depends on what temps you feel safe at and what voltages you need to reach this speed. I had an arctic cooler freezer pro 7 (well still have it for sale) and I was at 3GHZ but they have a wall where you really need to up the voltage a significant amout to hit the next level. I got mine to 3.2GHZ but needed a bigger cooler for what temps I liked.

My advice is stick with what you have until you want to upgrade your CPU and do it at the same time then. Or get a board now that will hold a future so you wont need to replace it later on.

If i was in your shoes, I'd just stick with yoru current setup and wait till you want to upgrade. Unless you REALLY want that extra performance.
May 2, 2007 2:13:53 PM

Quote:
I have to edit, it runs at 2.52Ghz with an FSB of 315Mhz and RAM also at 315

If you wan't to keep FSB:RAM 1:1 it has to run on same speed though?
or can you do something like 2:1 with good stability?

(I called my ISP about my webspace access. When I'll be able to upload the images I can show what's going on)

To tell the truth I don't know how my 680iSLI handles the unlinked memory bus because the bios and all the tools I run on it show the memory as unlinked 1:1 even though the speed of the mem is independent of the fsb. So this may be a feature of my particular chipset.

Either way you will not loose performance with other than 1:1 especially if you find the max stable speed of your mem. faster speed will offset timings and ratios for the most part.
May 2, 2007 4:00:28 PM

Quote:

Thats not the way it works. The bus is quad the FSB but the mem is 2xfsb. for fsb=266 the bus is 1066 and mem is 533. Going with Your train of thought I would have mems running at 1,6 GHz :D  w00t! w00t! Alas - that is not the case. (800 MHz effective on mem, 400 fsb, 1,6GHz on bus)
May 2, 2007 4:15:32 PM

Quote:

Thats not the way it works. The bus is quad the FSB but the mem is 2xfsb. for fsb=266 the bus is 1066 and mem is 533. Going with Your train of thought I would have mems running at 1,6 GHz :D  w00t! w00t! Alas - that is not the case. (800 MHz effective on mem, 400 fsb, 1,6GHz on bus)

hmm, thats right I was thinking 1:1 not taking into account the 2x, 4x difference, plus since I use unlinked mem, I'm not in the habit of considering the fsb when dealing with the mem.

This is what my main point was. If he can, unlink the two and just worry about the CPU/fsb reaching its max potential and then later, pushing the mem to its max potential independently to reach the highest speed.
May 2, 2007 8:19:20 PM

His memory is rated for DDR2-800 (5-5-5-12 timings)and he is running his memory at 315mhz which is an effective speed of DDR2-630 so his memory is not the problem or limiting factor. Its already known that the nForce 4 is not a good overclocker, as in it can not reach high fsb speeds.

A quote from me trying to explain memory and the 1:1 ratio for Core 2 Duo and Memory. Read this and you'll understand more so if you memory should be synchronous or not.

Quote:
First of all there is an internal clock. That clock speed on your Core 2 Duo's internal clock is 266. (This is before your cpu multiplier is applied which gives you your final speed of 2.4Ghz) . So when you buy DDR2-533 your cpu and your ram will run at 266. But since DDR is DOUBLE Data Rate it runs effectively twice the speed of 266mhz, therefore we get DDR2-533. The FSB is QUAD pumped which results in an effective speed of 1066mhz.

So when your internal clock is at 266 and you have ram rated at DDR2-533 you ram an cpu run at a 1:1 ratio. They are both running at 266. Now without any overclocking you can change this ratio. If you were to buy DDR2-1066 you could run the ratio at 1:2, resulting in a cpu speed of 266 and memory speed of 533.

Now typically unless you have really high performance ram, like the theoretical situation i just mentioned, you would rather leave it at a 1:1 ratio cause you want your memory and cpu to be in sync.

The other time high performance memory like that is good is because when overclocking it allows to raise your internal clock to 533, Not only does this allow you to run your high performance memory but it does not limit you when overclocking at all because reaching an internal clock speed of 533 is almost very unlikely. There for you can drop the mulitplier on your cpu to something lower and raise the speed of your fsb and ram. By doing this it relieves any potential bottleneck by the fsb(Which only now the new quad cores have even come to close to being bottlenecked), and increases the speed of your ram.

The speed of your ram does have a good performance benefit, but for the price you pay for that ram its often not the best price per performance ratio.
May 2, 2007 9:03:07 PM

CPU clock speed is what matters most, not memory performance. So crank down your RAM timings ( to 6-6-6-18 or worse ) and bump up all your voltages and make sure all your components are as cool as possible, even if you have to jury-rig some fans temporarily. Once that's all done you crank up your FSB and do your load/stability tests. Then you lower the voltages and repeat the tests, then setup your cooling for extended use and verify it runs cool. (Keep in mind that parts get hotter as dust builds up so they cant be very hot when theyre clean!)

Then, only after all that do you tighten your RAM timings (and ratio).
!