Video calibration tools

Are these video calibration DVD's worth the money? Want to get the most out
of my new Sony KDE42XS955 plasma.
8 answers Last reply
More about video calibration tools

    Mark wrote:

    > Are these video calibration DVD's worth the money? Want to get the most out
    > of my new Sony KDE42XS955 plasma.

    Yes they are worth it the first time......
    after a little HDTV 'break in' time....

    You will need the Calibration DVD and a DVD player as well
    to view the test patterns to make the user menu adjustments...

    1 of the DVD tests requires a back & forth rereviewing for
    contrast, brightness, & color... A coupled Test !!

    It gives peace of mind that the HDTV is in pretty good
    calibration..

    Mark wrote:

    > Are these video calibration DVD's worth the money? Want to get the most out
    > of my new Sony KDE42XS955 plasma.

    You're worried about $20-50 and you bought a PDP?

    Matthew

    Not worried about the money at all...but I do my research first...I'm new to
    this stuff and dont want to waste time on something that doesn't work. Just
    like BB trying to sell me monster cables...couldn't see how $100 cable was
    going to give me a better picture..so I looked here for answers from you
    guys who know this stuff. Call it smart shopping and research.

    "Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message
    > Mark wrote:
    >
    >> Are these video calibration DVD's worth the money? Want to get the most
    >> out of my new Sony KDE42XS955 plasma.
    >
    > You're worried about $20-50 and you bought a PDP?
    >
    > Matthew

    Any suggestions on which one to get...especially for a newbie?

    Mark wrote:

    > Any suggestions on which one to get...especially for a newbie?

    AVIA DVD by Ovation $38 from http://www.amazon.com
    Has the most & best calibration Video Test Patterns !!!
    Nice Audio calibrations too. (I own it, I use it for Video
    Cal)

    Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-up DVD $16 from Amazon.com
    Has very good Audio Cals... Good to Very Good Video test patterns.
    (I own it by shipping error, & I use it for Audio Cal)

    Video Essentials DVD $50 from Amazon.com
    For the price it must be Very Good!

    Digital Video Essentials DVD $19 from Amazon.com
    Not sure what it offers...

    > "Dennis Mayer" <Polaris1@execpc.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Mark wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Are these video calibration DVD's worth the money? Want to get the most
    > >> out
    > >> of my new Sony KDE42XS955 plasma.
    > >

    > > Yes they are worth it the first time......
    > > after a little HDTV 'break in' time....
    > >
    > > You will need the Calibration DVD and a DVD player as well
    > > to view the test patterns to make the user menu adjustments...
    > >
    > > 1 of the DVD tests requires a back & forth rereviewing for
    > > contrast, brightness, & color... A coupled Test !!
    > >
    > > It gives peace of mind that the HDTV is in pretty good
    > > calibration..

    Yes,

    Avia Guide to Home Theater is a popular one.

    You can get close with one of the THX Optimode calibrators, like on Finding
    Nemo or Monsters Inc. Not as thorough, but will look a whole lot better than
    out of the box, depending on your display. . .

    Wes

    In article <3MqdnWh2MpsYtjPcRVn-jg@adelphia.com>, Mark
    <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote:

    > Any suggestions on which one to get...especially for a newbie?

    I bought the AVIA for my Sony KV-32HS510. Fortunately, it needed very
    little calibration even after the "breaking in" period of about 3
    weeks.

    --
    Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

    My address has been anti-spammed.
    Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic.

    "Wesley Nance" <wnance3@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Yes,
    >
    > Avia Guide to Home Theater is a popular one.
    >
    > You can get close with one of the THX Optimode calibrators, like on
    > Finding Nemo or Monsters Inc. Not as thorough, but will look a whole lot
    > better than out of the box, depending on your display. . .

    I have Finding Nemo but didn't see any calibrators. I'll have to look...I
    like free, even if it's not as good as Avia.

HDTV TV DVD Video Home Theatre Product