I cannot access my Windows Firewall Settings in Control Panel.

When I click the Firewall icon I get the message "Windows FireWall
Settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running.
Do you want to start Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service?
When I choose "YES" I get the following message: "Windows cannot start the
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service."

map

"noonelately" wrote:

> I cannot access my Windows Firewall Settings in Control Panel.
>
> When I click the Firewall icon I get the message "Windows FireWall
> Settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running.
> Do you want to start Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service?
> When I choose "YES" I get the following message: "Windows cannot start the
> Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service."

Open admin tools then the services icon,scroll down to ICF or internet
connection firewall double click on it to open the properties under
dependencies tab you will see a list of other services that must be running
for the firewall to turn on.

Or use a better firewall I use Sygate

Free Firewalls
ZoneAlarm (Free and up)
http://snipurl.com/6ohg

Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) (Free and up)
http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

Sygate Personal Firewall (Free and up)
http://smb.sygate.com/free/spf_download.php

Outpost Firewall
http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost

map

These services must also be turned on for the firewall to start
1.application layer gateway service
2.Remote proceedure call
3.Network location awareness
4.Remote access connection manager
5.telephony
Why these are not listed when you checked I don't know,but I would really
use one of the other firewalls from my other post all of them will give
warnings for outgoing traffic the native one in XP does not do this.This
feature is helpful for tracking down or at least informing you of
worms,viruses and malware.