Status
Not open for further replies.

plaugexl

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
just updated to vista premium 64x
now im experiencing the same slugishness everyone else is having with vista but when im running media player 11 its taking up a crazy amount of reasources. even in the backround its hitting at 36-52% CPU usage
im running an old pentium 4 3.2MHZ 6400 one stick 1GB of pc3200 ram

any ideas or replacments for this reasource hog?

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
i have the same problem with media player, has you can see with vista x64 they putted the media player 32 bit version by default. I cant remmember a web site showing the command to load the 64bit by default, but i have problem when loading it , i need to manual open the file by opening the 64bit player, also there some problem with codec with the 64bit but it opening amazingly fast and take no ressource. Yeah microsoft failed on that.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
i think its the 64x os in general... microsoft has really shot itself in the foot this time

Well for now, yeah its probably not worth it to go with 64bit unless you have reason to, myself i am editing audio with a 64bit software that run a lots faster then the 32bit. More apps will become 64bit and this will go faster and nothing to say about the security of the 64bit os which its supposes to be better then the 32bit.

Alpha_Magnum

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
just updated to vista premium 64x
now im experiencing the same slugishness everyone else is having with vista but when im running media player 11 its taking up a crazy amount of reasources. even in the backround its hitting at 36-52% CPU usage
im running an old pentium 4 3.2MHZ 6400 one stick 1GB of pc3200 ram

any ideas or replacments for this reasource hog?
WinAMP "kicks the lama's aaaaaaaaa"

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
The following application works great for me under xp --- i always use it rather than media player ---- down load the "media player classic"

Dont know if it will work with vista ---- but might be worth a shot. (i would be curious if alternative players work anyways with vista --- dont have vista yet---but am curious as to what works and what does not work with vista). Here is link ---- good luck

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
All of the media players I have found seem to work as they did on XP, as long as the hardware (soundcard/TV Tuner/Graphics) is seen by Vista in the first place. That's a problem for a lot of older tv tuners, which Vista by default won't even see so none of the apps do either.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
sort of a round about way of going around to solve the problem --- but you could try to install xp in a virtual machine using vmware or vpc 2007 (free). Dont know if xp will recognize hardware in a vm through the vista host environment -- but virtual pc 2007 is free from microsoft so it wouldnt cost you anything to try.

Could also try the opposite (install xp as host and use vista in a vm) --- but would sort ruin the point of having a vista computer.

Just a suggestion ---- hope you can solve your problem ---- good luck

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I suspect it probably has something to do with the drm hardware requirements in vista. Certain hardware may leak what they call protected content from vista and therefore may not be certified or work right with vista (even if it is certified to work with vista --- the drivers can be revoked after the fact if it is found the hardware is leaking content --- rather strange ---- but true).

More can be found here

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

its quite interesting reading and may relate to why you are having problem

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Now i have discovered VLC Media Player, i wont change to any ones for video players with vista. But you have to change some setting to be able to play video in vista, which its in the video option, Output modules, select windows GDI output.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
To fix the video problem in Vista with VLC:

Open VLC media player.
Click on Settings and select Preferences… .
Expand Video and click on Output modules.
Check Advanced options in the lower right corner.
Set Video output module to either “DirectX“, “OpenGL” or “Windows GDI“

RESTART VLC FOR THE CHANGES TO TAKE EFFECT!

Status
Not open for further replies.