Updating Win XP Home to SP2 Error!!

lcliow

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
hi,

I had encounter a error :evil: popup message during updating to WinXP SP2.

<b>spupdsvc.exe - Application Error</b>
The instruction at "0x5a00671a" referenced memory at "0xff2fb084". The memory cound not be "read".

Does anyone encounter the same problem or anyone know whether is it my harddisk problem or RAM problem.

Or is there any way to diagnose whether is it my Motherboard problem?

Thanks a lot

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Does this happen all the time ?

You could try doing this and then running SP2 again.

ALso take a look at the log file:
%SystemRoot%\System32\Spupdsvc.log

Any error messages in there ?

lcliow

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Thanks for the reply :)

here was what actually happen and i hope you can understand what i am trying to explain.

It was a old PC and the current specification were:

MSI 845PE Neo-L
Intel P4 2.8GHz
ATI 9200SE AGP 8x 128MB TV-Out
Eagle 6200A AGP8x/4x 256MB DDR2 TV/DVI (newly bought)
Spectek 512MB PC2700 DDR
Maxtor QuickView 80GB 8MB

because not long ago the harddisk was spoiled :evil: so i had bought a new Maxtor QuickView 80GB but after using it for less than 3 months it was vibrating hard and could heard a loud noise from the harddisk. So i sent it back to seagate and aweek later they send me another harddisk which is the same model.

As i got back the harddisk i use window XP Home SP1 to create 2 partition(each around 40GB) and format it using NTFS file system. Everything was smooth and it finish installation.

And i started to install the all the driver for the components, which don't have any error.

The problem start to happen, at first when i was using the computer half-way it <b>suddenly turn black screen but i can hear the CPU was running</b> so i had to power down manually and on it again which it sometimes give me black screen and recover again.
So i thought it was a graphics problem so i bought a new GeForce 6200 256MB to replace the old ATI 9200SE 128MB. As soon as i replace the graphics card the black screen was no longer there but here comes the :evil: 2nd problem which was <b>Window Updates</b>

It happen everytime when i was doing window updates.

At 1st downloading of the updates did not had any problem but when it start to install them it start to popup error message such as

<b>drwtsn32.exe - Application Error</b>
The instruction at "0x5a00671a" referenced memory at "0xff3fb084". The memory could not be "read".

and some other windows application error message too.

Thanks again