GPRS connection between iPAQ 1940 & nokia 6260 via BT

July 23, 2005 3:16:43 PM

I've been trying to connect my iPAQ1940 to the internet by means of a BT
connection to my nokia 6260 phone and GPRS protocol.

I can see the BT connection establishing, but then the GPRS doesn't start.

I'm sure settings are ok (i've checked with the GPRS network provider), and
I know the 6260's GPRS modem does work (I've established a connection from a
desktop PC), so my last guess is that the iPAQ has some problems...

HP says it works fine (how can they tell from over the phone without
checking hardware and software??), but I do think there are some issues with
drivers that will allow the iPAQ to correctly talk to the phone. Anyone
supporting such idea, and possibily suggesting a solution?

Many thanks and have a nice weekend!

July 24, 2005 8:50:49 PM

"Nicola" <thenetmaster512@(removethis)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying to connect my iPAQ1940 to the internet by means of a BT
> connection to my nokia 6260 phone and GPRS protocol.
>
> I can see the BT connection establishing, but then the GPRS doesn't start.
>
> I'm sure settings are ok (i've checked with the GPRS network provider),
> and I know the 6260's GPRS modem does work (I've established a connection
> from a desktop PC), so my last guess is that the iPAQ has some problems...
>
> HP says it works fine (how can they tell from over the phone without
> checking hardware and software??), but I do think there are some issues
> with drivers that will allow the iPAQ to correctly talk to the phone.
> Anyone supporting such idea, and possibily suggesting a solution?
>
> Many thanks and have a nice weekend!

No need for special drivers however you need to use the correct number and
APN. You can establish the GPRS connection as default on your phone and use
*99# to dial from your Pocket PC. Or use *99***[x]# where [x] is the
connection configured on your phone (you can have multiple connections on
your phone, one for WAP, GPRS, other networks, etc).

Also if you don't have the correct APN on your phone you need to set it on
your Pocket PC using a Init String on Advanced Settings. The string will be
something like Z;+CGDCONT="1",,"[APN]" where [APN] is the correct APN for
your operator. Also use Z; to ensure the modem is reset each time you start
using it.

Check out Bluetooth Guides (link in my sig) and you'll find a guide
explaining how to create the connection.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Software for Pocket PC directly on your device:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inhand.asp
July 24, 2005 10:36:52 PM

> No need for special drivers however you need to use the correct number and
> APN. You can establish the GPRS connection as default on your phone and
> use *99# to dial from your Pocket PC. Or use *99***[x]# where [x] is the
> connection configured on your phone (you can have multiple connections on
> your phone, one for WAP, GPRS, other networks, etc).

Done that, thanks. I have used both *99# and *99***[x]#, but neither
works...

> Also if you don't have the correct APN on your phone you need to set it
> on your Pocket PC using a Init String on Advanced Settings. The string
> will be something like Z;+CGDCONT="1",,"[APN]" where [APN] is the correct
> APN for your operator.

Are you sure it is "1",,"[APN]"? SHouldn't it be 1,"IP","web.omnitel.it"?
The sintax is quite different, which one is correct?

> Check out Bluetooth Guides (link in my sig) and you'll find a guide
> explaining how to create the connection.

I'll do, thanks!
Nicola
Related resources
July 25, 2005 12:10:10 AM

> Check out Bluetooth Guides (link in my sig) and you'll find a guide
> explaining how to create the connection.

I have just checked your guide, very useful indeed!
But unfortunately my 1940 stucks when it has to search for available
services, which as I already mentioned in the previous response, is
something that happens quite often..
Could it be a bluetooth compatibility issue?? How can I check?

Many thanks for your help
Nicola
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 2:21:03 PM

Make sure the Pocket PC is using the latest ROM available - this model had
problems with some Nokia models.

As for the "IP","[APN]" or "","[APN]" both should work ok.

!